5th Gen Airport extreme or current Gen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crzdcolombian, Sep 4, 2013.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

So I am moving to Texas but before I do that I am making sure my parents setup in CT is good.

Currently They have comcast and their Upload speed is 45.24 mbp/s and upload speed is 11.25 mbps per seacond.

Currently they have
    a iphone 4s(soon to be 5s)
    a ipad 3 (I will be upgrading it to a iPad 5 before I leave)
    a macbook air (new AC version)
    my brother and I will be getting them the new iMac when it comes out as well which will most likely be AC as well.

Currently they have a cheap Linksys E2000 which is a 3 year old router. I am sure the 5th generation one will do well especially as I can get it used for under 100 bucks but will I get any extra power from the 6th generation one considering Comcast isn't that fast?

There house is about 1500 square feet and like 100 years old. The linksys has range for the whole house which is over half an acre but if you leave 15 feet in either direction the signal gets much weaker.

2. opinio macrumors 65816

Use the current ac gen, but add two or more airport expresses via Ethernet cable in the far corners of the house. Expresses are almost plug and play when you use the extreme as the primary router. You can connect them wirelessly (if ethernet is not possible) which will increase wifi range but impact slightly on available wifi bandwidth/speed. If your parents only use Internet then that is probably not too noticeable.

Also you may want to look at the current time capsule instead of the extreme if your parents use macs and need a seamless backup strategy. The TC is identical to the extreme except for the internal drive. There is a cost factor with this option though.

3. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Right now they have a 2008 airport extras and a Linksys E2000. I was not too happy with the airport express. Sold it on amazon today for 60 bucks. Can upgrade to a extreme for 5 bucks :)

Does everyone here just use Airport products or anyone use a different brand AC router?