5th gen continually dropping charger connection - HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AthenaNoctua, Feb 26, 2014.

1. AthenaNoctua macrumors newbie

Can anyone shed any light on this because it's REALLY doing my head in now and I'm going to be left with a dead iPod at this rate. I've an out-of-warranty 5th gen Touch (I couldn't afford AC when I bought it and, by the time i was able to, Apple had changed the rules to within 30 days of purchase).

I've wasted around £150 I can ill-afford (I'm disabled and can't work) on new GENUINE APPLE chargers and cables. They'll be OK for a short time (1-2 months), then the dock connection will start continually dropping out (charging from mains, I don't have a computer) until it won't charge at all (the indicator has turned black about a dozen times typing this). I've blown out the connector with compressed air, I've tried every socket in the house - NOTHING WORKS! If I see "this accessory is not compatible" just ONCE MORE… #

I'm bedridden, and I'm autistic, my iPod is EVERYTHING, it's my LIFELINE and, at the moment, I can't afford to replace it (and if I could, it wouldn't be with another Apple device - but there's nobody making anything similar).

I've a 4th gen which charges fine on a generic £5 charger - so WTF is up with this…?! Simply tapping the screen causes it to drop, moving it causes it to drop - sneezing in its vicinity will cause it to drop soon, I shouldn't wonder…

Has anyone else had as many probs…? Is it just iPods - or do iPhones and iPads suffer too…?

It's been lovingly cared for for 16 months. It lives in its own little pouch in my bedside drawer at night, and it's cleaned regularly.

It MAY just be my imagination, but it seems to have become worse with each iOS 7 update - and I'm 90% certain that it didn't happen as much - if at all under iOS 6.

Is there anything I can do about it (I'm not the handiest person on Earth) or is it FUBAR'd…?

I'd not worry as much if there weren't apps I use daily that aren't iOS 6 compatible.

I only have to move it slightly and it 'blacks/whites' out… sometimes it'll come back, often it won't without much cajoling.

I'm autistic, I'm sick, I can do without the added stress! Any help out there…? Thanks, folks!

2. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that you have a lot of issues with the charging connector. I think it is not connected properly to the motherboard and that a repair shop can fix this issue for you. For the fact that multiple cords, chargers and wall sockets don't fix your issue, I believe it must be such a kind of failure. This is not software related, it only happens more and more because the connector is getting worse and worse. Eventually you won't be able to charge your device at all, so it is also a good idea or back it up to iCloud while you still can (since you don't have a computer)