Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I've had my 5th gen 30GB iPod for about 5 years, so maybe this is due to the usage I've given to it.

Today I noticed the center button doesn't have that "click" feeling anymore. The button still works, but not as comfortable as before. And it looks pressed down a bit.

Can this be fixed? Can the iPod be opened and this button fixed again?

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Most likely. Now, i have no idea how those buttons on the iPod are built. But this used to happen to me on game controllers back when i still played games and it was usually the rubber cushion beneath the button that was wearing out. Either that or dirt.

So what i would do is replace the rubber cushion thing with one from a broken controller and clean the whole thing up.

I realize is is absolutely no use to you but the same thing could apply to your iPod.

There are lots of iPod classic repair videos on YouTube if you're looking to do it yourself. Sorry if this wasnt helpful. Good luck.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
But the actual iPod can be opened to fix this? I don't see how...

EDIT: Ohh Ok, I saw one of those youtube videos you mentioned. Can I just take it to the Apple store? How much do you think they'll charge for this fix?

EDIT 2: Should I try to fix it myself?, any ideas how? , if not, where can I take it? And what would be a good price?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.