5th Gen iPod touch - components rattling?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Project538, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Project538 macrumors regular

I noticed something weird today with my 5th gen iPod touch. When I tap the back of the device below the camera lens, it sounds like something is rattling around inside. Is it possible I have a loose component or something? Would everyone else here who has a 5th gen do me a favor and check to see if yours does this? I don't think this is normal... I haven't noticed any problems with anything (the camera works fine and no other functions seem to have been impaired), but if this is some sort of defect I want to know so I can get it taken care of and possibly replaced. I'll probably head over to the Apple Store tomorrow night and see what they can do for me; in the meantime, could anyone here offer up some suggestions as to what might be going on?

2. Rad-o macrumors member

This is found in the iPhone too . Go to camera app and tap screen to focus . Still keeping it open , see if there is still rattling . If not it is the focus lens or something . I read somewhere that it is . Lets wait for other ipod owners to reply

3. Project538, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

Project538 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that, and it didn't stop the rattling. Is the focus lens actually a moving part? Just to note, if there's a loose component it can't be that loose. Shaking the iPod does not produce a rattling sound. Only tapping it does. Not sure what this means...

4. pachi macrumors newbie

5. Project538 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know I'm not alone. I think I'll head into the Apple Store tonight and try tapping the backs of the in-store demo units. Maybe the rattling is "normal" behavior, but I'd like to find out for sure.

6. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

No need to. It's the camera's autofocus mechanism. All iPhones cameras rattles it was with the iPhone 4, then 4S, and now 5. iPod touch 5 is no exception. It's perfectly normal, but I understand it might be a little scary for someone who doesn't know what's going on;)

7. Project538 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I did a little poking around online and it has happened on a bunch of previous iPhones. I'm much less worried now. I just wanted to be 100% certain I didn't get a defective product is all. Thanks for clearing things up :)

8. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I'm glad you posted about this. Mine rattles and I was thinking of exchanging it. Thank you

9. Project538 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of exchanging too, but if its normal behavior for the camera components to rattle a bit then I suppose an exchange wouldn't really do any good. Presumably any replacement unit would do the same thing.

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Mine rattles too

i hear a rattle when i shake it and when it's very quiet.

11. TortillaChip macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thank you so much! I have this EXACT problem with my new :apple: iPod touch. I bought it from Best Buy not even a month ago. It was like it when I opened it. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I NEED answers SOON.

12. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

It's not broken, it's normal behaviour - all iPod Touch 5th gen. rattle, therefore there is nothing to fix.

13. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Happens on my iPhone 4S. Nothing to worry about. :)

14. salas2324 macrumors member

Mines doesn't lol

15. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

They all do if you tap on the back near the top of them.

16. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Do you realise how an auto-focus camera works? The lense elements move in and out, and once the focal point is reached, SNAP! Photo taken :)

So, in short, the "rattling" is one of the lense elements held in loose suspension within the mechanism, just the same as CD/DVD player lenses are held in fragile suspension - they are actuated with electromagnet + magnet mechanisms, so as the current through the coil increases, the repulsion against the permanent magnet increases, and the lense element(s) move :)

17. salas2324 macrumors member

You're right! Lol never noticed.