5th Gen iPod Touch Water Damage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by telecomguy, Jul 15, 2013.

1. telecomguy macrumors newbie

My daughter left her 5th Gen iPod Touch in the laundry which went in the washing machine. My wife found the iPod touch in the washing machine during the wash cycle.

When we dried it with a towel, it was still working but it quickly shut down. CNET did a torture test with the iPhone5 and dried their phone buy putting it in a bag of rice. We tried to do the same with the iPod.

Here's the problem. The iPod still will not boot up and we think there is a piece of rice stuck in the charging port. The Lightning connector is unable to plug in.

I've checked the web on 5th Gen iPod Touch repairs. Apple doesn't cover water damage and from what I've heard is that they charge at least $249 to replace it with a refurbished model.

The web also said that the 5th Gen iPod Touch is difficult to repair due to the design.

Does anyone have any insight? Should I try an independent repair shop? The Apple replacement charge (if applicable) is more than 1/2 the cost of the original iPod purchase price.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Even though you are tempted to see if it still works, never turn on an iPod after it's submerged in water until it is completely dried out.

I have never had a problem recovering a phone or iPod that has been immersed in water. The secret is that it generally takes a very long time to completely dry out. Putting it in a bag with dry rice does work but I would leave it in there at least a couple of weeks before trying to power it up (more is better).

As far as the port for the lightning connector. you should be able to see if anything is stuck in the connector. I have carefully used a pin or needle to dislodge anything stuck in a connector.

3. telecomguy thread starter macrumors newbie

5th Gen iPod Touch Water Damage

Thanks Plutonius. I think I may have caused further damage. I took it out of the rice bag today and cleared the lightning port with a can of PC duster. When I plugged the lightning connector in, there was no reaction but the iPod did get very warm - warmer than usual.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Please don't attempt to power it up or even plug in power until it completely dries out.