5th generation and still no location based Watch Faces

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iFanaddic, Sep 12, 2018.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I don’t understand why i can’t have a watch face that’s different based on whether I am at work, at home, at the gym or in the car.

Additionally, the information I want to see isn’t the same on weekdays as on weekends or at night. Why isn’t Apple coming up with smart watch faces management?

I will still be getting a series 4 but I was really hoping for this.

2. Captain Spekkie macrumors member

Captain Spekkie

Maybe because you can swipe between watch faces and thus can create as many watch faces as you like.
    for instance: Work -> Home -> Gym
    Swipe to the right or left to activate the watch face you want with the complications you need for that face.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

4th* generation Apple Watch. I think the issue is, is battery life. While yes, weather is pulling your location, its doing it through the phone and then transferring the data to your watch. Or are you looking for the same thing? Your phone pulls the location and transfers to the watch, or only the watch itself?

4. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

The phone is an easy solution, but they all have GPS right? So maybe if you could set the watch to poll location every 15 minutes that would work without putting too much strain on the battery? I know it's easy to swipe between faces, but with all the capabilities, we shouldn't have to.

Hell, it still annoys me that my watch tells me to stand up when I'm obviously in a car.

5. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

Pretty sure this is the 5th generation.

I agree that the issue is probably battery life. It would be pretty cool automatically to change the watch face based on location and day/time, though.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Its the 4th Generation. Hence Series 4. The S0/S1 shared everything but the dual-core processor, and thus was not considered a new generation. Its S0/S2/S3/S4. The S1/S2 came out the same year. You wouldn't consider the iPhone 5c a new generation, the 5s was the new one.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2018 ---
    How would the watch possibly know you are in the car and not sitting at a desk? Its not tracking your GPS movement. It has no idea that you are moving at 50mph, or sitting still at a desk. Your battery would be dead in 5 hours if it was tracking you via GPS.

7. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

There have been (will be soon) 5 Watches. Original, Series 1, 2, 3, and 4.

If you want to call that 4 generations, have at it. There have been five releases of the watch. Apple saw fit to name the S1 so as to distinguish it from the S0, so I’m fine calling it the 5th generation, too.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

The original was never called S0. The public gave it that name. They called it S1 to distinguish it from the S2. The S1 is literally the first gen with the faster chip. Apple updated the iPad 2 WiFi with a new chipset, we didn’t consider that a new generation. It was still the iPad 2. 5 watches does not mean 5 generations. Would you consider the Xs/Max and Xr different generations?

9. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

Apple named the watches:

1. Apple Watch
    2. Apple Watch Series 1
    3. Apple Watch Series 2
    4. Apple Watch Series 3
    5. Apple Watch Series 4
    That’s five. Why doesn’t 5 different releases of the the watch mean 5 generations? First gen with a faster chip was a separate introduction, wasn’t it?

The Xr was introduced with the Xs and Xs Max, so I would consider them the same generation. If Apple introduced 2 watches at the same time but one shipped later for whatever reason, then it would be comparable. Otherwise not. I don’t consider the Nike watches a different generation just because they’re available in October rather than September, because Apple named them the same thing.

Hell, maybe they did and I missed it because I wasn’t interested in the watch at the time. As it is, Apple named them to differentiate them, however small you consider the change.

But, like I said, if you want to call five differently named releases four generations, go for it.

10. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Well, just based on WatchOS5 not being available for Apple Watch, just series 1-4, I'd say series 4 is the 5th gen.

11. Captain Spekkie macrumors member

Captain Spekkie

Series 1 and Series 2 are both Second generation watches. both have the S2 chipset and were released the same day/year. They just differ from each other in configuration. Furthermore the day the 2nd gen's launched, the first generation (that we began calling S0 by that time) was discontinued and only available for warranty swaps from Apple.

But i do understand your confusion, as this crap has been done do death with the iPhones. Only iPhone 4 was named correctly as it was the fourth iPhone that was released and thus the 4th generation. Next should have been iPhone 5 as in 5th generation, but no they called it the 4S. Now all these years later it's beyond recornission, because an iPhone 8 and X are the 12th gen and the new Xs (max) and Xr are the 13th generations of iPhone. Crazy

Edit: This is on topic, i am defending your title choice :p

But really on topic then: switching watch faces based on location would mean using the GPS chipset also when you are not actively tracking a workout. so more battery usage.

12. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

13. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

Well, I don’t think anyone here knows why Apple isn’t doing so.

14. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

It could know the same way the phone know where your car is parked. By connecting and disconnecting to your car bluetooth.

I think the OP idea is nice and no doubt will one day be implemented.

15. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Even the iPhone doesn't make location-based changes or info as much as it could. I'd love my phone to switch to vibrate at work, or even during meetings when the appointment is set to busy. Feels like a missed opportunity all around.

16. AsherN macrumors 6502

5 years ago my Android phone would unlock based on location.

17. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Another good idea..

18. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Apple has to include this in the next watchOS update. Its such a no brainer

:rolleyes:

19. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

20. rgyiv macrumors regular

rgyiv

Yup, this is your interim solution

Yup, fill out this form.

21. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Done! If you guys want to provide feedback here’s what I wrote

Can we have the watch faces that change according to our location?

The information I want access to differs based on the location and time of day. Seems useless to glance and have to switch the watch face based on my current needs. I want to setup a watch faces for gym, work, school, home, night time, car ride, etc.