Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
If Apple made a high quality note like product, I would be all over it! :D

Steve was right, having the stylus as the main source of input is wrong. But having it as an accessory with proper palm rejection opens up a world of possibilities for apps. Note taking apps get that much better. Apps like Procreate which is an amazing app for digital painting and art, would simply be that much better.

Not to mention I'm sure the way Apple would do it would be to build the digitizer in every iPad, then sell the pen separately for $70 for those who want it.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I still don't get why you're arguing that Apple will always treat the iPad Mini as a second-tier product. Isn't it more probable that the Mini got crappy specs because a) development likely started a while ago, when iPad 2 was the flagship and b) it was developed in secret by a separate team so that the full-size iPad was on a different schedule and got all the goodies while the Mini was essentially a previous-generation device when it was released? A similar thing happened with the very first iPad, which was basically an iPhone 3GS and which even had its own special iOS version - the teams working on the iPad and the iPhone 4 likely didn't know anything about each other.

Now that the Mini has come into its own as a product I think Apple will give it some love, i. e. at the very least current-gen SOCs and ideally a retina display. Again, it doesn't make sense to artificially cripple a product which is already successful, but probably has even more potential. I'm not sure consumers don't care about these things, neither I nor anyone I know (non-techies for the most part) are interested in the Mini until it gets a retina display, for example. That's not some kind or arcane spec only nerds care about, even my dad can immediately perceive the difference between retina and non-retina.

I demonstrated in many ways that I don't think it's an artificial limitation yet you keep trying to put words in my mouth.

I think that there are technical, financial and logistical reasons why the mini can't have the most powerful CPUs and that the full iPad will always allow for more power (because of its size and higher margins).

And I don't think they intend to artificially cripple the mini. And I didn't say that consumers did not care about screen resolution, I was specifically talking about CPU speed/generation.

Anyway, end of discussion, since you obviously did not read my replies thoroughly and avoided addressing the core of the issue (the full iPad is bigger and more expensive so it can be more powerful).

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
I demonstrated in many ways that I don't think it's an artificial limitation yet you keep trying to put words in my mouth.

I think that there are technical, financial and logistical reasons why the mini can't have the most powerful CPUs and that the full iPad will always allow for more power (because of its size and higher margins).

And I don't think they intend to artificially cripple the mini. And I didn't say that consumers did not care about screen resolution, I was specifically talking about CPU speed/generation.

Anyway, end of discussion, since you obviously did not read my replies thoroughly and avoided addressing the core of the issue (the full iPad is bigger and more expensive so it can be more powerful).

If the next Mini retains crappy specs, I'm going to quote this post again and admit that I was wrong and Casiotone rules. If not, well...

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
If the next Mini retains crappy specs, I'm going to quote this post again and admit that I was wrong and Casiotone rules. If not, well...

Again you're putting words in my mouth (or keyboard that is). I only said that the next iPad mini would have a CPU that will be less powerful as the next full 9.7" iPad.

If you don't consider the iPad mini 2 CPU to be crappy but it's less powerful than the iPad 5, I will still be right.

dieselboy27

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
I was really hoping that the 5 would be out soon. I hope they space the launch out for the iPad and iPhone. Really want to get both.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I can't tell if you're being serious or not? Their stock was at its highest under Steve Jobs, and is now at its lowest under Tim Cook. I'm not saying Cook is an all around bad leader, because Steve obviously saw something in him. However what Apple was doing previously was a winning formula. Sure Cook wants to put his mark on Apple but not everything needs to be changed. Maybe I'm just throwing a shot in the dark. But it seems like to me, in order to have a balanced year Apple was better off releasing several products throughout the year, instead of releasing several products all at once. To me it seems like Cook is really just taking a gamble.

If Apple made a high quality note like product, I would be all over it! :D

For the moment the only REAL products is Cregle Ipen 2.
Let's wait for a review.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.