5th Generation iPods...WHEN?

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
289
0
I know everyone says not to wait but lets pretend I did wait -- when are people expecting them out. I know nobody knows but does anyone have an educated (or even uneducated) guess?
 

baummer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
951
27
Southern California
greenguy4 said:
I know everyone says not to wait but lets pretend I did wait -- when are people expecting them out. I know nobody knows but does anyone have an educated (or even uneducated) guess?
Whenever Apple decides to release them would be my guess.
 

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
6,571
49
Langley, Washington
Until Apple Proves otherwise, I'm considering the iPod photo as the 5G iPod, especially since there is now only one monochrome iPod Left.

TEG
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
New iPods probably won't come out until January 2006. These new 5G iPods will likely reach 80GB, color screen across the board, 30 plus hours battery life.
 

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
289
0
Awesome!

Well looks like I'm waiting. The 5th generation sounds like it will be a huge jump in quality: better battery, more room, lower cost, color screen. I dont mind waiting a while.
Thanks Guys!
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,263
76
TEG said:
Until Apple Proves otherwise, I'm considering the iPod photo as the 5G iPod, especially since there is now only one monochrome iPod Left.

TEG
I totally agree. Monochrome screen to color screen is just as much of a change as moving wheel to touch wheel, and since the monochrome seems to clearly be getting phased out, the iPod Photo should be regarded as 5G.
 

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
1,494
0
Rockford MI
I think that we will see it get an update at MW Paris. I’m thinking that they may do something like make the click wheel more touch sensitive aka make it pressure sensitive because Steve said he liked the idea of a iPod with no moving parts. I am almost positive that we will see the color screen get put in and have the 30 gb 299 and probably the 40 or 60 in the 399 version and maybe bluetooth also.
 

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
289
0
bluetooth?

Well bluetooth seems like it would be cool. Would this take a really long time to sync it thought with iTunes...well compared with firewire?
 

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
929
0
the great OKLAHOMA....
greenguy4 said:
Well bluetooth seems like it would be cool. Would this take a really long time to sync it thought with iTunes...well compared with firewire?
heck yes it is slower..... firewire is 400mb/s and bluetooth is 8-9 mb/s i think...

Please correct me if i am wrong. And to clarify - the iPod Photo is the 5G...

kyle

p.s they won't lower prices.... much at all.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,807
179
Bergen, Norway
Bluetooth 1.1 was 723 kbps... theoretically, real life tests didn't even come close...

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR is said to be 3 Mbps... again theoratically, it's so new I haven't seen any real life tests... some also state this speed to 2 or 2.1 Mbps...

To compare: USB1.1 is 12 Mbps, Firewire400 is - well - 400 Mbps, and USB2 is 480 Mbps (hi-speed, that is, there are also USB2 devices only supporting 12 Mbps), and all these comes much closer to their theoretical speeds then Bluetooth 1.1...

Remember all these speeds are in bits, to get how many bytes, just divide by 8... so a 4 MB song will take at least 11 seconds to transfer using Bluetooth 2.0, filling a 4 GB mini about 3 hours. Good luck. Not to mention that it would probably drain the battery of the smaller device long before it was filled...
 

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
1,007
7
127.0.0.1
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Bluetooth 1.1 was 723 kbps... theoretically, real life tests didn't even come close...

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR is said to be 3 Mbps... again theoratically, it's so new I haven't seen any real life tests... some also state this speed to 2 or 2.1 Mbps...

To compare: USB1.1 is 12 Mbps, Firewire400 is - well - 400 Mbps, and USB2 is 480 Mbps (hi-speed, that is, there are also USB2 devices only supporting 12 Mbps), and all these comes much closer to their theoretical speeds then Bluetooth 1.1...

Remember all these speeds are in bits, to get how many bytes, just divide by 8... so a 4 MB song will take at least 11 seconds to transfer using Bluetooth 2.0, filling a 4 GB mini about 3 hours. Good luck. Not to mention that it would probably drain the battery of the smaller device long before it was filled...

plug it in to charge, use as HDD, fill from empty, software restore etc...

wireless to update calendars, address books, add songs if its only a few (like each time you buy a couple from iTMS), and best of all, share music with other iPod BT users

oh yeah, and when using BT do it without disabling functions, man i wish they would find a way to get rid of that do not disconnect screen while synching so i could add songs while using the ipod.
 

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
852
1
NYC
Do you think we'll get a design change?

Like we did with the 4G? While I like the look, I never really have felt the grey CW, and the buttons seem a little 'flimsy' to me (feel like they could wear out fast).
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.