5th hard drive pros or cons

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by faumble, Apr 15, 2008.

1. faumble macrumors regular

I am going to install a 5th hard drive on a mac pro, already have the other 4 slots occupied, but after reading some comments sounds like it might not be a good but still cant find out why, so wanted to make sure if it could be bad in someway to install a 5th hd on the free optical space?
    Thanks in advance

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

There's no problem installing a 5th Hard Drive, it will work perfectly with OS X, all you have to do is get a SATA connection from the spare SATA connector on the motherboard to the drive and get power to the drive (if it doesn't have a Molex power connection).

The only problem that I came across is that Windows won't see the 5th drive for some reason, so you can't use that drive for Boot Camp.

3. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

What about an external enclosure?

I have 4 sata drives installed internally in my MacPro, in external enclosures I have 4 more sata drives, connected to the MacPro by firewire 800.

4. GotPro macrumors 6502

Firewire 800 is a beautiful thing! Take advantage of it.

Also, a $22 part will give you 2 ESATA ports!

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

then pay another $40 for a external case, ~$200 (750gb)-$300 (1tb) for a HD and your set!

6. faumble thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, will be going the esata route since firewire is kind of slow and the 5th hd might bring some trouble as I suspected, so if anyone has recommendations of esata port I would greatly appreciate it :) Thanks in advance.
    GotPro, could you please give me a link to the $22 esata port?

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The "$22" port just connects to the same extra sata ports on the board. It would be the same as installing the 5th drive.

8. GotPro macrumors 6502

Sure!

My bad, though... I was wrong about the price... it's $24.95 :p My Bad! :D

Get It Here!

9. faumble thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks GotPro!
    So now I am searching for recommendations for a pci esata card for the early 2008 mac pro, any recommendations? :) Thanks in advance.

10. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

I second that. Actually, I use both spare SATA connectors. This is what I use:

1. external SATA connector http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php
    2. miniG External SATA 2-drive solution http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2599#top

I put the original 320GB that came with the MP into that enclosure (use as a clone) and add another 1TB Seagate ES2 and use as TimeMachine backup

Everything works well. But as NATO mentioned, Windows will NOT see the 2 connected drives. No solution yet so far. Worse yet, I also have the APPLE RAID card... so BOOTCAMP is out of the question for me :(

11. mgsarch macrumors regular

kitty,

i know you're very bitter about the Apple RAID card. i don't blame you in some ways. But boot camp is not out of the question. You can always remove 1 drive the from the array and use as the boot camp drive??

What about reEFIt?

12. faumble thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, appreciate it, but I need windows to recognize the hd, so which esata card would you recommend me?
    Thanks in advance,
    -J