6.1.3 (heat problems)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by DJTaurus, Mar 27, 2013.

1. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Aftes the 6.1.3 upgrade the back of my iphone 5 gets easily hot after long usage.... anyone else?

2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

my iphone 5 is perfectly fine on 6.1.3... try a hard reset (hold lock button and home button till your phone shuts off)

3. DJTaurus thread starter macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

I just noticed that it overheats while using LTE... is that normal?

4. lazybump91 macrumors member

Me too, only facebook messaging, whatsapp-ing and facebook browsing may cause my phone back to heat up. Browsing through 3G

5. DJTaurus thread starter macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Yes it happens also while on 3G... no problems while on wifi :confused:

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I seem to remember a similar issue way back on an earlier IOS release. Also battery died quickly - maybe a search of prior IOS forums might help.

7. alice04 macrumors regular

alice04

Mine's pretty fine with the new iOS :) Just a hard reboot and it will be fixed.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP: There's not enough information to guess whether it's normal or not. It depends on what you're doing. An app that causes high CPU utilization will generate heat and consume the battery. This can be normal or it can be a problem (jb, rogue app, pink hearts/yellow moons/orange stars/green clovers).

A recent example that doesn't apply to you was an ActiveSync loop that caused the device to endlessly sync with Exchange with the symptoms above.

You can download one of many system utilities and see what's putting a load on your device during one of the times it heats up.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

ive noticed this too, along with excessive battery drain. when browsing or using FB, the back of the phone definitely gets alot warmer than it used to on 6.1.2 and also drains 1% ever 2-3 mins when being used.

10. DJTaurus thread starter macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

It happens mostly when i use pocket to download and read links i favored from tweetbot.

11. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Mine is fine for now, but it is normal when you use your phone to get hotter :eek:

12. Sean006 macrumors 6502

i am having the same issues...6.1.2 killed my battery now 6.1.3 still drains the battery and gets very hot like everyone in this thread has stated. ESP FB browsing...no this is not normal to drain 1% every 2-3 mins..

hope they send out a fix soon even with a mophie JPA i cant survive on the weekends with no battery.

13. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Same here. Hot phone and crappy battery. Dont think it relates to LTE. Turning LTE off didnt make a difference for me.

14. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I noticed this for the first time on Sunday when I was using the TomTom app in my car and had the phone on charge. It was extremely hot

15. Sean006 macrumors 6502

i already took mine into the apple store and of course they asked me all the usual questions..restore as new, hard reset crap...im like yes i know all about this and still nothing..so they do the battery test and say there is nothing wrong with it..told them ever since the update it has done this and yes i wiped it clean and restored...same result...so i left the store...hoping they would come out with an update soon..

well last night i pick the phone up it drains 14% in 11mins and hot as hell..
    R U F N kidding me !

i actually took snap shots of each min to show them how fast its draining.

made another appt for this sat...they will replace it this time, this is unacceptable.

16. lazybump91 macrumors member

Now even wifi causing heat, i only use whatsapp and the battery went warm :confused:

17. Sean006 macrumors 6502

had them replace my phone on saturday morning..
    again they tested the battery and said it was fine but i showed them the screen shots of it draining every minute. told them it was running very hot also while it was draining..

the replacement phone is great...
    right now at 3hours use 19hrs stndby with 60% left.
    def was something on the phone making it work harder in the background.

thanks apple for taking care of it for me..:apple:

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm not familiar with those apps but you can try deleting and reinstalling them. Is there a chance they aren't able to reach the server and are continually trying? You can also try a reset to see if that alone is enough.

19. Northgrove macrumors 65816

Any suggestions for a good CPU monitor app so that I can attempt to diagnose this problem? I thought these were jailbreak stuff but is any good one available for non-jailbroken devices?

20. Zcott macrumors 68020

The more you use it, the hotter it gets. Intensive apps will heat it up quicker but all apps will heat it up.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not necessarily--for example, over a period of half an hour if not even about an hour, I can browse different sites and check/use Facebook, Messages, and Mail in between, and the phone wouldn't really get hot or hotter over time.

22. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

Do you run it on 3G? Mine heats up when I do and playing large games gets that CPU hot and you can get knocked off wifi. I'd follow Pnutts advice, Sean006, because he knows what the hell he's talking about. Apple hasn't stepped forward and answered these problems outright, except for the maps which are still screwed up.

23. rdinterman macrumors member

rdinterman

Hot iPhone 5

I'm on 6.1.3 and had this happen for the first time today. I received the "too hot" iOS error message. I was using Apple Maps on LTE. Weird.

24. cynics macrumors G3

Was the phone in the sun? It has to get very hot to receive that message. Thats a safety message that turns off tge phone to prevent damaging it. A GPS app will be quite battery intense however it shouldn't cause the device to overheat especially not the native app.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Given how often I do this at different times and places, sometimes I'm on WiFi while doing it, sometimes I'm on LTE, and sometimes on 3G--pretty much the same experience in all of the cases (the battery usage can vary in those situations, but usually the phone doesn't heat up with that kind of usage). Certainly with other kinds of usage like intensive gaming or something else the phone can and has gotten hot.