6.1 inch Android Phone Confirmed for Early 2013 Release

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by SomeDudeAsking, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

http://phandroid.com/2012/12/06/huawei-ascend-mate-6-inch-1080p-display/

Oh man, this phone has my name on it. It's going to be so tempting if it goes on sale around here. We can be pretty sure that Samsung will have something similarly awe-strucking though. I can't wait to get one. An Android phone with a huge screen and a huge battery is perfect for me.

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'm sorry but these specs are closer to the Nexus 7 than a HTC Butterfly/Verizon Droid DNA. It's not a phone or phablet, that a freakin' tablet and as long as you don't mind wearing a headset all of the time, then great. Hold that monster up to your ear and you just look foolish.

And please don't mistake this for a bash on Android or a rant from an Apple fanboy who thinks 4" (and previously 3.5', of course) is just perfect. If you like a bigger phone, great to each their own. I just think there's has to be an end point and personally think 6.1" is way past it.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm going to have to agree.

4. fSHAD macrumors member

Future : Samsung Release Galaxy SX 10'' inch phone inspired by nature !!! :p

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Your post reminded me of a hilarious post made in this thread last month about rumored 8-core processors in future Samsung devices:

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

At this point, its simply now a "my dk is bigger than yours" contest.

7. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

I rarely make phone calls and if I do need to, I just use a bluetooth headset, earphones, or the speakerphone. Holding a phone up to one's head is quickly becoming less and less needed. Most of my communication is done my texting or some other text based medium. I use my Galaxy Note 2 as my primary web surfer, news reader, camera, GPS, and I often watch videos on it too. Using it as a phone is low on the list of things I do with it.

As I've said in a past thread about the Galaxy Note 2, I thought it could be bigger since its not actually that large once you've used it for a few weeks. What will most likely happen with the new 6+ inch Android phones is that the bezels will become smaller and we will actually approach true edge to edge screens. This will allow them to be about the same size as the current Galaxy Note 2 but with a 6+ inch screen within the current form factor. If you have a Galaxy Note 2, you can easily see how they could fit a 6+ inch screen on there without changing the over all size much.

I am hugely excited to see what Samsung brings to the table for the Galaxy Note 3 and there is a very good chance I will be buying it even though I just got my Galaxy Note 2.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That's like the screen size of a Kindle eInk! :eek:

9. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

But it will be much smaller overall because Kindles have huge bezels. I would love it if the new Android phones have some type of HD color e-ink screens that can stay on forever though.

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Great--glad it hits your sweet spot. I personally (and most people I see everyday) still hold the phone to my ear most of the time and I find these bigger phones just too cumbersome--but again, too each their own.

If you don't actually make/receive many calls, why not go even a bit bigger, get a tablet and use a VOIP service/app or Google Voice (not sure if this one's even possible on a tablet)? Just curious because it sounds like a 7" tab would be the perfect size for your needs.

11. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

A 7 inch tablet is too big, especially with the size of the bezels factored in. A 7 inch tablet with the huge bezels still has twice the surface area of a 6 inch phone so these devices are in way two different leagues. I like to still be able to pocket my phone and I have no problems doing that with the Note 2 but I have held the Nexus 7 and I know that thing is way larger than you would think when just comparing the linear screen size number.

12. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

So when are we going back to luggable car phones again?

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

See, I knew there had to be a breaking point!! ;) JK, of course.

14. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

OMG when are the phone manufacturers going to draw a line regarding the screen size of the phone??

It's like reaching a point of no return. Whatever happened to the emphasis on the portability of a mobile phone? :confused:

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Well said. You've just described the way that millions of people are currently using their smartphones. In addition, those who are health & safety aware, refrain from holding any mobile phone up to their head.

The first half of 2013 promises to be especially exciting, as the rumors are beginning to reveal Samsung's plans for the Galaxy S4. With an estimated April release date, plus big new features, they are really raising the bar. With LG & other manufacturers also poised with big plans, it will be refreshing to see the spotlight on Apples competition.

16. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

I think it will stop somewhere around 6 inches. Ultra portability in a modern smartphone is only one factor and is not an important factor for many people. There are dumb phones that are much more portable than any smartphone.

17. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Oh well, nothing I can do about it either. When the iPhone 5S and the Samsung Galaxy S4 comes out next year, I'm getting an iPhone 4S.

For me, portability is more important than specs and features since I'm not that kind of hardcore users who want the latest and the fastest. :cool:

18. mikegasol macrumors member

I stopped reading at Huawei haha. Have they ever made a good phone? Seems the ones in the USA have been awful.

19. matttye macrumors 601

4.8" is already MASSIVE, so an extra 1.3" will just be completely unwieldy, awkward to pocket and to be frank, pointless. It's so close to the 7" tablets and not really any more portable that you might as well just get a tablet.

The thing about the Note 2 is that, whilst huge at 5.5", it's somewhere in between phones and 7" tablets.

It seems like manufacturers are now saying "Hey look at us!!" rather than actually coming up with practical products.

20. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Haha! I'm glad I amused :)

21. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Although interesting, I think I'll stick with the company that's tested and true with a solid following.

22. fSHAD macrumors member

32" Galaxy Phone with 64 cores and 7" taller iPhone 7 with retina diplay ! tht was hilarious :apple:

23. Twixt macrumors 6502

same usage here with roughly 4 hours of calls per month, which I manage with some headset...

24. zbarvian macrumors 68010

It's alright, nobody (except for second poster) will buy this and they'll realize their mistake.

25. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I'm starting to have a change of heart, regarding "smaller is better" with phones.

It's not that our cell phones are getting bigger; it's that our computers are getting smaller.

Michael