Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I wouldn’t call 6.1” a phablet 😅. Apple tried the Mini phone route twice (not counting the lackluster SE 3) and it failed to bring in the revenue they deemed worthy of continuing. No more small phones from them, at least for a while.
IMO the smaller iPhone failed not because not enough people wanted smaller iPhones, it failed because not enough people had the smaller form factor as their #1 priority over other features the larger iPhones had.

- If you preferred better battery life you didn't get a mini
- If you preferred a better camera system you didn't get a mini
- If you preferred a better screen (Promotion), you didn't get a mini
- If you preferred a more premium exterior, you didn't get a mini
- If you wanted a cheap phone, you didn't get a mini

In other words, would like a smaller form factor but weren't willing to give up other features for it.

What I like to see is with Apple moving to 6.3" and 6.9" with the iPhone 16 Pros is that it makes room for a return of 5.8" (like the X, Xs and 11 Pro had) iPhone Pro in a updated/modern/smaller form factor. That would still be large enough for better battery, camera system, promotion with a premium exterior with a good size screen but would end up being Apple's smallest form factor.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
IMO the smaller iPhone failed not because not enough people wanted smaller iPhones, it failed because not enough people had the smaller form factor as their #1 priority over other features the larger iPhones had.

In other words, would like a smaller form factor but weren't willing to give up other features for it.

What I like to see is with Apple moving to 6.3" and 6.9" with the iPhone 16 Pros is that it makes room for a return of 5.8" (like the X, Xs and 11 Pro had) iPhone Pro in a updated/modern/smaller form factor. That would still be large enough for better battery, camera system, promotion with a premium exterior with a good size screen but would end up being Apple's smallest form factor.
Most people prefer the largest screen possible especially considering so few everyday people even use a traditional computer outside of work or school.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
They're way overthinking this again, Apple will reuse an old design like the iPhone 14 with the notch now that 15+ have gone full dynamic island, relabel it SE and call it a day.

It's not what we want, but Apple's SE product strategy is one of milking recycled/proven past R&D for another few years.

Reactions: splitpea

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
I forgot that Apple still sells an iPhone with a Home Button. I don’t know why, but it boggles my mind that Apple is even able to sell such an antiquated design. Imagine Samsung still selling Galaxy S7 😂

A new SE is overdue.
They are still used a lot in enterprise. The hospital I work in gave iPhone SE to almost every employee. They can only be used on the hospital WiFi network. The cheap iPad is also popular with education and enterprise.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
What an absolute ****ing joke. Does Apple REALLY see the need to have another phablet on its already bloated lineup?

There's literally zero reason for a 6.1" screen SE to exist. A 5.4" screen iPhone Classic makes way more sense.
Makes sense for you, sure.

But every brand that has attempted anything in the <6" category in the last couple of years has failed with that product as consumers simply do not buy <6" smartphones nearly as much as >6" smartphones.

I don't get this notion of Apple having to do things that "make sense" or that follow some sort of abstract notion of what great product design/dimensions or a great user experience is.

All Apple has to do is offer products that sell well and cut the ones that don't meet expectations. And bringing a 6.1" iPhone with this or last year's SoC aimed at the <$500 smartphone/iPhone buyer will sell far better than doing the same with a new 5.4" iPhone.

Sure, a 5.4" mini SE at <$500 would sell better than the $699 versions we got. But a similarly spec'ed 6.1" iPhone SE at <$500 will just sell many times more than that mini SE.

I also think the mini was great and has more potential. But I also don't know why we're asking any brand to follow a trend that consumers aren't buying into?:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Until Tim walks out onto an empty Steve Jobs Theatre and proves me wrong, I chose to believe that there is a phantom SE mini waiting for me and every other mini disciple.

Just because Apple might only sell 2 million a year as opposed to 200 million big phones doesn't make our need any less valid 😪

I actually have a great rationale for the minis existence as well - Upsell - iPhone mini, the "8GB" of the iPhone world.

Last edited:

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Makes sense for you, sure.

But every brand that has attempted anything in the <6" category in the last couple of years has failed with that product as consumers simply do not buy <6" smartphones nearly as much as >6" smartphones.

I don't get this notion of Apple having to do things that "make sense" or that follow some sort of abstract notion of what great product design/dimensions or a great user experience is.

All Apple has to do is offer products that sell well and cut the ones that don't meet expectations. And bringing a 6.1" iPhone with this or last year's SoC aimed at the <$500 smartphone/iPhone buyer will sell far better than doing the same with a new 5.4" iPhone.

Sure, a 5.4" mini SE at <$500 would sell better than the $699 versions we got. But a similarly spec'ed 6.1" iPhone SE at <$500 will just sell many times more.

I also think the mini was great and has more potential. But I also don't know why we're asking any brand to follow a trend that consumers aren't buying into?:

No knock against the mini lovers but there seems to be a disconnect with personal preferences from what consumers as a whole prefer. If the mini form factor was popular every manufacturer would be trying to have a product in that category. For profit corporations chase profits. The online discourse on sites like this gave a false impression that consumers wanted small phones. I also wonder what the age demographic of the mini fans is. My anecdotal experience it’s mostly older consumers who don’t use their phone as a consumption device as much

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
No knock against the mini lovers but there seems to be a disconnect with personal preferences from what consumers as a whole prefer. If the mini form factor was popular every manufacturer would be trying to have a product in that category. For profit corporations chase profits. The online discourse on sites like this gave a false impression that consumers wanted small phones. I also wonder what the age demographic of the mini fans is. My anecdotal experience it’s mostly older consumers who don’t use their phone as a consumption device as much
Wristwatches kept getting bigger - now it's the flip (fashion-led or just human preference) and they are shrinking again. Phones will do the same eventually.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Until Tim walks out onto an empty Steve Jobs Theatre and proves me wrong, I chose to believe that there is a phantom SE mini waiting for me and every other mini disciple.

Just because Apple might only sell 2 million a year as opposed to 200 million big phones doesn't make our need any less valid 😪
They are a for profit corporation they aren’t going to chase such a small market. It’s not like there is a bunch of other manufacturers filling that small phone niche either.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Wristwatches kept getting bigger - now it's the flip (fashion-led or just human preference) and they are shrinking again. Phones will do the same eventually.
Phones won’t shrink until they are no longer a majority of consumers primary or only computer. Especially young people who watch more tv and films on their phone than actual TVs. You don’t notice the trend of smart watches getting bigger due to how people use them?

• Love
Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018

What you're suggesting still wouldn't sell as long as there are other models in the line-up that offer everything the "mini Pro" has while also offering a larger display and a larger battery which bigger smartphones do per definition.

When consumers buy smartphones, they want as much value per $ as possible. This includes as big a display as possible and as good a battery life as possible (within their budget).

So as long as they know they can pay $50-$300 more and get everything the "iPhone mini Pro" has but also a larger display and better battery life they'll opt to spend more to get more.

This is why, despite it's lack of ergonomics, iPhones Pro Max sell so well and became an instant success since Apple launched iPhone 8 Plus and the Xs Max.

An "iPhone mini Pro" could only work at a mid-tier or budget price. But then Apple could wave goodbye to most SE and $799-$899 iPhone sales.

iPhone mini Pro only sells if there's nothing else in the line-up.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
My anecdotal experience it’s mostly older consumers who don’t use their phone as a consumption device as much

I'm guessing you don't know many women? My anecdotal experience is it's mostly women, who frequently have smaller hands and prefer phones they don't need two hands to use.

I personally associate larger phones with older people who have worse vision so they need the bigger phablet screens.

I think people who prefer smaller screens aren't under illusions about their lack of popularity. They're not trying to force people to have small screens, they just want the option on at least one phone for themselves. To each their own and all that.

Reactions: gusmula

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
I'm guessing you don't know many women? My anecdotal experience is it's mostly women, who frequently have smaller hands and prefer phones they don't need two hands to use.

I personally associate larger phones with older people who have worse vision so they need the bigger phablet screens.

I think people who prefer smaller screens aren't under illusions about their lack of popularity. They're not trying to force people to have small screens, they just want the option on at least one phone for themselves. To each their own and all that.
Most woman I know have max and plus size phones. They carry them around in their purses when not in use. I know more women with the larger phones than men. Most of the older people I know just use their phones for calls and video calls and tend to have cheaper or very old phones

ATmahe

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2023
The number of people who want a pro mini is very small. The regular mini was unpopular a more expensive model would just make sales worse. I know some of y’all really love that form factor however I don’t understand the disconnect from the fact that a majority of consumers prefer larger screens. A majority of people use their phone as their primary or only computer.
I know, I know. I'm aware about all these facts and can think of many other reasons.
However, one is still allowed to dream.
I didn't say Apple has to bring one, I just shared my thoughts/opinions/wishes.

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
I forgot that Apple still sells an iPhone with a Home Button. I don’t know why, but it boggles my mind that Apple is even able to sell such an antiquated design. Imagine Samsung still selling Galaxy S7 😂

A new SE is overdue.
Eh, this is a bad comparison. The current iPhone SE, despite having a home button, has the internals of an iPhone 13. -2 generations back. The form factor has been kept the same as the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 to maintain compatibility with existing peripherals in the enterprise. These forums sometimes loose sight of the fact that the iPhone SE is meant to be a budget phone, it's great for retail, warehousing, healthcare, hospitality, and other wifi-only use cases where a top end devices isn't necessarily needed.

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
I hope Apple will consider gradually decoupling from China.
This is already happening. I think COVID showed every company that they can't have all their supply chain in one country. If a lockdown or catastrophic event happens, all your productions is shut down. Supply chain has been spread out between China, Brazil, India, Indonesia, and Vietnam. I'm sure I'm missing one or two countries but the point remains.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
This is already happening. I think COVID showed every company that they can't have all their supply chain in one country. If a lockdown or catastrophic event happens, all your productions is shut down. Supply chain has been spread out between China, Brazil, India, Indonesia, and Vietnam. I'm sure I'm missing one or two countries but the point remains.
Hope they'll be able to diversify even more by 2030.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Eh, this is a bad comparison. The current iPhone SE, despite having a home button, has the internals of an iPhone 13. -2 generations back. The form factor has been kept the same as the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 to maintain compatibility with existing peripherals in the enterprise. These forums sometimes loose sight of the fact that the iPhone SE is meant to be a budget phone, it's great for retail, warehousing, healthcare, hospitality, and other wifi-only use cases where a top end devices isn't necessarily needed.
Almost every employee is produced one at the hospital I work at. They even keep extra devices in the nurses stations.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Most of the older people I know just use their phones for calls and video calls and tend to have cheaper or very old phones

With the overall trend towards larger phones, it sounds like the older people you know aren't buying smaller phones because they prefer smaller phones, they're just not upgrading their phones as often. Newer phones would automatically be larger, no matter what size one would prefer.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
With the overall trend towards larger phones, it sounds like the older people you know aren't buying smaller phones because they prefer smaller phones, they're just not upgrading their phones as often. Newer phones would automatically be larger, no matter what size one would prefer.
I only know 2 people who bought the mini. I know others who considered them until seeing the phones in person.

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
They are a for profit corporation they aren’t going to chase such a small market. It’s not like there is a bunch of other manufacturers filling that small phone niche either.
This is not entirely true. If you look at Mac Pro's market share, it would have to be discontinued as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.