6,2: Issues with video card (330m) after ML...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBPnoob, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MBPnoob macrumors regular

Wow, where to begin...
    As soon as I upgraded, the desktop went to a glitched screen, like a nintendo game that needs to be blown and reinserted. I could only see the curser when it flashed on screen, but only for a second. Since I couldn't find the soft reboot, I did a hard reset. I let it sit. I turn it back on, same thing. Hard reset again. Same thing. I'm getting pissed. I grab my SL disk about to reformat when the next reboot got me back to the desktop. Now, however, it's very bright and washed out. It's like someone set the white balance way too high. I turn off the card using gfxcardstatus tool and everything is great! The colors are back to their usual color. I turn back on the 330m and the colors go back to washed out... I tried all the "color" settings in the display menu, but nothing seems to help.

Anyone else having video issues with their MBP 6,2, mid 2010?

2. CarcinogenX macrumors member

I upgraded to mountain lion earlier today. I switched over to the 330m and it works fine. I hope you find the source of your problem.

By the way the dictation feature is pretty cool :)

3. MBPnoob thread starter macrumors regular

I have a genius bar appt set up... hope they will figure it out.

4. yfnew macrumors newbie

My MBP6,2 got corrupted screen after the first reboot on Mountain Lion, and continuing happened for about 3 times. Then I pressed "Shift" when booting for disabling all add-ons, and it's fine. I found that it might have some connections to the gfxcardstatus software because before, I booted with the gfxcardstatus and once it opened, the display corrupted.

5. CarcinogenX macrumors member

I'm running v2.1 of GfxCardStatus.
    v2.21 is the most current.

6. zudo macrumors member

I haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion yet but I am seeing similar problems on my 6.2 MBP. The background desktop image loads and spotlight appears but shortly afterwards I get a black screen with a single line of multicoloured pixels flickering at the top of the screen.

I recently upgraded gfxCardStatus and it struck me that the corruption was happening as it loaded at startup. Sure enough, booting into safe mode and turning off gfxCardStatus fixes the problem.

This is with the latest version of gfxCardStatus (I think given I can't run it!) and Snow Leopard 10.6.8

7. lucasmaster macrumors newbie

I have same problem as You but not every time... Sometimes colors are washed... But when I turn off computer and tun it on again everything is OK.
    But my computer slow down on some applications when it using Intel HD such as Mail.app espacialy when I try to respond to someone... Check it too...

I have MBP 17" Mid 2010 330m and Intel HD

Rgds

8. skpsr macrumors newbie

this is an issue i have had since at least OSX Lion.

there are times when it seems to get worse and others that it can go days/weeks w/o issue.

when it happens to me, my screen goes black and my MBP reboots completely. sometimes 2-3 times in a row

using gfxcardstatus 2.2.1 and set to integrated only. that seems to be the most stable option, but this is driving me nuts.

i'm about to scrap this device unless someone has a solution, or something can be replaced.

do the 2012 versions of MBP have the same issues at all? I see they still use the intel hd/nvidia graphics.

9. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Its been well documented and discussed that the latest version of gfxCardStatus (v2.2.1) doesn't play nice with 2010 15" MBPs.

Until Cody updates the app, use the old v2.1 version found here. I was having the same problems, but reverting back to this version completely solved them.

10. skpsr macrumors newbie

Thank you for the input.

using 2.1 can i run dynamic or continue to stick with integrated or discrete.

11. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Using v2.1 you can run with dynamic switching, discrete only or integrated only - just like any other version of gfxCardStatus. There really is no perceivable different between this version and v2.2.1 (save for the way graphics switching occurs, the most recent release exposes a hardware defect found in 15" 2010 MBPs).

FWIW, v2.1 works perfectly with Mountain Lion.