6.5gb RAM now- worth maxing out to 8gb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kjs862, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I currently have 6.5gb of RAM in my power mac g5 - all 1gb stick besides two 256 sticks. The computer is doing fine and I'm thinking about using it for another year or so. My question, do you think it worth maxing out the RAM to at 8gb?

When I first bought the machine I was heavily into photoshop, but this isn't the case anymore - just a casual user now.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, would adding more RAM (8gb opposed to 6.5gb) prolong the life of my machine?

2. pprior macrumors 65816

What does your ram use look like?

Unless you're running a lot of open programs, I doubt it will do much.

I fill 8GB of ram because I run parallels, aperture, and PS oftentimes simultaneously and that will use up all my ram. If you're just doing PS along with internet/mail/etc I would think you've got more than enough.

But it's simple to open up a window and see how much free ram you have - if you're not running out, then more will do nothing except cost money.

3. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

If you only plan on keeping the computer for another year and you're just using casual Photoshop I think that 6.5GB is more than enough ram. I only run 5GB in my G5Quad and I do heavy photoshop, illustrator, indesign, and flash and have little to no problems.