6&6 Plus AT&T Version - Is CDMA Enabled?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hpman247, Sep 29, 2014.

1. hpman247 macrumors regular

I read somewhere that CDMA and GSM was enabled on all iPhone 6 devices, unlike in the past where the GSM versions did not have CDMA enabled. Is this true?

I know that Verizon would still have to allow the phone on their network, and AT&T would have to unlock the device but technically is it now possible to use the 6 or 6+ on a CDMA carrier when you purchased the GSM version?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Not possible I believe.

I don't think Verizon or Sprint will activate them on their CDMA networks.

It's like asking if it's technically possible to make your own car fly, even if it were there's no way you would get it approved.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Enabled and works fine on Verizon. Sprint is an unknown, but I would assume it doesn't work with them

4. Zinthar macrumors 6502

Would Verizon even know not to activate it on their network if the hardware is identical and unlocked? You can take the Verizon iPhone 6, stick an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in it, and you're good to go. If CDMA is active on the GSM iPhones, I'd think the reverse process should work (assuming the phone is unlocked).

5. legioxi macrumors 6502a

My Verizon SIM works fine in my ATT 6+ that I unlocked with swiftunlocks. There is a long thread somewhere on here regarding this.

LTE works
    CDMA works
    Voice works
    VoLTE works

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I believe Verizon knows via IMEI number whether or not the iPhone is a "Verizon" version or not (the same way Sprint does).

What the...

Very weird. You sure it's CDMA that's working and not just LTE and VoLTE? :confused:

Thought for sure Verizon keeps it's CDMA network locked down to it's own CDMA phones.

7. legioxi macrumors 6502a

On My Verizon it doesn't list the device. Shows a blank pic. Same as when I use a Cisco router that is LTE compatible. Device works but they don't show it correctly on the site.

----------

Yep. It's very slow to get in LTE. Starts at 1x and stays there for 10-20sec, then 3G symbol for another 10-20 sec then LTE.

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Very cool, thanks for taking the time to respond & correcting my misunderstanding :)

Cheers!

9. legioxi macrumors 6502a

No problem :) I was very pessimistic when I first read it too. Didn't believe it until I tried it myself.

10. Zinthar macrumors 6502

In Sprint's case, though, they're also using a different model #.

11. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

They do but while they can choose not to activate service on unknown devices, they can't block it from working on their LTE network per FCC agreement.

I think with SIM-enabled devices, authentication for both CDMA and LTE is done via SIM so as long as the SIM is okay and the device's CDMA radio is activated, then it should work.

12. hpman247 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. This is very interesting. I'll have to try this with one of my friend's SIM cards and see if it works for me like it is for everyone else. If so, that's awesome and opens up some interesting possibilities for the future.

13. fretx macrumors newbie

How are you getting your Verizon Sim to work?I unlocked my AT&T 6+,but all I'm getting is No Service on Notification line with my Verizon Sim(Iphone 5C)

14. aneftp macrumors 601

Did u restore phone?

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It won't work with the 5C. The Verizon compatibility on "GSM" phones is new to the iPhone 6 and 6 plus

16. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

He has an unlocked AT&T iPhone 6 Plus. He's using the SIM card from a Verizon iPhone 5c.

@fretx
    iTunes restore and try reset network settings for good measure.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Oh, I somehow missed that and figured the "(iPhone 5C)" meant he was using the iPhone 5C

18. pennyleon macrumors newbie

Did you use Verizon sim card activating att 6+?
    Have anyone successfully use Verizon sim on a unlocked att/tmo 6/6+ that already activated with a att/tmo sim card?
    I mean, if I activated att/tmo unlocked 6/6+ using att or tmobile sim card, will CDMA still work when replacing a Verizon sim in?

19. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Yes. As long as the device is unlocked, you should be fine. I activated my iPhone 6+ with AT&T but am now currently using Verizon SIM on it. CDMA and LTE works just fine.

20. pennyleon macrumors newbie

Millions thanks!
    But just need to double confirm, is your iphone 6+ an ATT/Tmobile unlocked or Verizon?

21. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Same here with my AT&T account using a Verizon 6.

22. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

It's unlocked AT&T iPhone 6 Plus.

23. pennyleon macrumors newbie

Thanks again!