6&6 Plus AT&T Version - Is CDMA Enabled?

hpman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
I read somewhere that CDMA and GSM was enabled on all iPhone 6 devices, unlike in the past where the GSM versions did not have CDMA enabled. Is this true?

I know that Verizon would still have to allow the phone on their network, and AT&T would have to unlock the device but technically is it now possible to use the 6 or 6+ on a CDMA carrier when you purchased the GSM version?

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Not possible I believe.

I don't think Verizon or Sprint will activate them on their CDMA networks.

It's like asking if it's technically possible to make your own car fly, even if it were there's no way you would get it approved.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Not possible I believe.

I don't think Verizon or Sprint will activate them on their CDMA networks.

It's like asking if it's technically possible to make your own car fly, even if it were there's no way you would get it approved.
Would Verizon even know not to activate it on their network if the hardware is identical and unlocked? You can take the Verizon iPhone 6, stick an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in it, and you're good to go. If CDMA is active on the GSM iPhones, I'd think the reverse process should work (assuming the phone is unlocked).

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
My Verizon SIM works fine in my ATT 6+ that I unlocked with swiftunlocks. There is a long thread somewhere on here regarding this.

LTE works
CDMA works
Voice works
VoLTE works

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Would Verizon even know not to activate it on their network if the hardware is identical and unlocked?
I believe Verizon knows via IMEI number whether or not the iPhone is a "Verizon" version or not (the same way Sprint does).

My Verizon SIM works fine in my ATT 6+ that I unlocked with swiftunlocks. There is a long thread somewhere on here regarding this.

LTE works
CDMA works
Voice works

VoLTE works
What the...

Very weird. You sure it's CDMA that's working and not just LTE and VoLTE? :confused:

Thought for sure Verizon keeps it's CDMA network locked down to it's own CDMA phones.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I believe Verizon knows via IMEI number whether or not the iPhone is a "Verizon" version or not (the same way Sprint does).

On My Verizon it doesn't list the device. Shows a blank pic. Same as when I use a Cisco router that is LTE compatible. Device works but they don't show it correctly on the site.

----------

What the...

Very weird. You sure it's CDMA that's working and not just LTE and VoLTE? :confused:

Yep. It's very slow to get in LTE. Starts at 1x and stays there for 10-20sec, then 3G symbol for another 10-20 sec then LTE.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
On My Verizon it doesn't list the device. Shows a blank pic. Same as when I use a Cisco router that is LTE compatible. Device works but they don't show it correctly on the site.

Yep. It's very slow to get in LTE. Starts at 1x and stays there for 10-20sec, then 3G symbol for another 10-20 sec then LTE.

Very cool, thanks for taking the time to respond & correcting my misunderstanding :)

Cheers!

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
They do but while they can choose not to activate service on unknown devices, they can't block it from working on their LTE network per FCC agreement.

I think with SIM-enabled devices, authentication for both CDMA and LTE is done via SIM so as long as the SIM is okay and the device's CDMA radio is activated, then it should work.

hpman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Ok. This is very interesting. I'll have to try this with one of my friend's SIM cards and see if it works for me like it is for everyone else. If so, that's awesome and opens up some interesting possibilities for the future.

fretx

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013

LTE works
CDMA works
Voice works
VoLTE works
How are you getting your Verizon Sim to work?I unlocked my AT&T 6+,but all I'm getting is No Service on Notification line with my Verizon Sim(Iphone 5C)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
How are you getting your Verizon Sim to work?I unlocked my AT&T 6+,but all I'm getting is No Service on Notification line with my Verizon Sim(Iphone 5C)
It won't work with the 5C. The Verizon compatibility on "GSM" phones is new to the iPhone 6 and 6 plus

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
It won't work with the 5C. The Verizon compatibility on "GSM" phones is new to the iPhone 6 and 6 plus
He has an unlocked AT&T iPhone 6 Plus. He's using the SIM card from a Verizon iPhone 5c.

@fretx
iTunes restore and try reset network settings for good measure.

pennyleon

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014

LTE works
CDMA works
Voice works
VoLTE works
Did you use Verizon sim card activating att 6+?
Have anyone successfully use Verizon sim on a unlocked att/tmo 6/6+ that already activated with a att/tmo sim card?
I mean, if I activated att/tmo unlocked 6/6+ using att or tmobile sim card, will CDMA still work when replacing a Verizon sim in?

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Did you use Verizon sim card activating att 6+?
Have anyone successfully use Verizon sim on a unlocked att/tmo 6/6+ that already activated with a att/tmo sim card?
I mean, if I activated att/tmo unlocked 6/6+ using att or tmobile sim card, will CDMA still work when replacing a Verizon sim in?
Yes. As long as the device is unlocked, you should be fine. I activated my iPhone 6+ with AT&T but am now currently using Verizon SIM on it. CDMA and LTE works just fine.

pennyleon

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Yes. As long as the device is unlocked, you should be fine. I activated my iPhone 6+ with AT&T but am now currently using Verizon SIM on it. CDMA and LTE works just fine.
Millions thanks!
But just need to double confirm, is your iphone 6+ an ATT/Tmobile unlocked or Verizon?

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
On My Verizon it doesn't list the device. Shows a blank pic. Same as when I use a Cisco router that is LTE compatible. Device works but they don't show it correctly on The site
Same here with my AT&T account using a Verizon 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.