6+ cable clicking under Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toneLA2, Oct 9, 2014.

1. toneLA2 macrumors member

Hi all,

Was fortunate enough to find a 6+ at the Beverly Center the other day when mine was originally due for 11/9.

This thing is awesome, felt enormous next to my 5S but within 2 minutes I couldn't look back.

Thing is, there's something concerning me regarding the Touch ID sensor. It feels different than the one on my 5S.

When I click on it, it never feels precise. It's almost like it's gritty in there and there's a noticeable clicking sound coming from underneath when, without pressing, (eg unlocking the phone when the finger is being read and Touch ID is not pressed) I just lay my finger on it.

When I just lay my finger on top, if I move it a bit, there's something clicking.

Is it consistent with some of yours?
    Thanks!

2. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

The home button on my 6 Plus is very firm. Doesn't move at all unless you click it. I imagine yours may have a slight defect. If it bothers you, try to exchange it for another.

3. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

I found a video on YouTube. This is exactly the sound it makes. Almost like something plasticky is stuck under there.

http://youtu.be/9yzC8-VayRU

4. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

I do know that microscopic debris can get under the home button, making it feel different and reduce responsiveness. Doesn't make sense for a brand new unit though. That's really weird.

5. toneLA2 thread starter macrumors member

I feel like I have to return it. It's gonna bother me otherwise. Shame considering it's perfect in every other aspect. :(

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

A lot of people don't notice these things, and some of us are hyper-sensitive to it. I know my 5s and my wife's 5s developed over time the tendency to have that clicky/grindy sound a little as you pressed on the Home button. I actually had my 5s replaced (don't let someone else hold your phone - they might drop it..), and the replacement's home button was very similar after a period of time. My 6 Plus home button has developed a tiny bit of wiggle to it, but I try not to pay attention it.

I suspect they just wear in this way. I've not seen a 5s that didn't develop some play in the home button after a while, when it's pressed. For reference, my iPad Air has no such issue almost a year later, and my pre-5s iPhones never had this issue, so I'm going to chalk it up to the Touch ID sensor causing some less-than-perfect buttons.

If it's a really audible click like in the video you linked, I'd definitely exchange it, though.

7. Geo1688 macrumors newbie

The home button on my 6+ is very firm. There is no give whatsoever... seems to be sturdier than my 5.