6+ Camera - reduce overexposure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lockerc18, Oct 11, 2014.

1. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

One of the reasons why I got the 6+ was for the camera's capabilities in low light. In experimenting with this, I found that, yes, the camera is pretty good (for a phone camera) in low light. But it seems to have a problem with overexposing bright areas, like lights.

For instance, taking a picture where there's a single lamp turned on in a room that is fairly dark will cause the lamp to be way overexposed, to the point of being totally washed out. All cameras will do this to one degree or another. But with a "real" camera, you can compensate for this some by fiddling with the aperture and film speed and so on. (I'm not an expert on this, obviously.) What I want is a picture which looks exactly like what my eye sees. That's a tough standard, and there may be no camera of any type that really provides that in low light. But the 6+ is very good at that in sunlight and well lighted scenes. I want the same level of quality in lower light scenes, too.

I know the camera is fixed at f/2.2, so the aperture can't be changed. But does anyone know how to change other "camera" settings to get better low light pictures from it? Just being able to soften this overexposure of bright objects some would be a help.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Just touch your finger in the area that you want to be properly exposed. A little experimenting will improve it greatly. Get what your eyes see?? Guess what? No camera has the dynamic range of your eyes. Everything is a compromise. Welcome to the world of photography.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

A few things that can help:

- Having HDR turned on since this uses multiple exposures to compensate for a wide range of light levels.

- Tapping on areas of different brightness to change the point that the automatic exposure is based on.

- After tapping the screen an exposure icon shows up to the side of the yellow focus box, you can drag this icon up or down to manually adjust the exposure.

You can also play around with apps like Manual or Camera Plus which have a lot of fine grained manual camera settings.

4. lockerc18 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I got ProCamera 8. Lots of nice function in that. I'll have to play around and see what works best.