6+ camera won't focus after 8.1.3 update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Weiser878, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Weiser878 macrumors regular

I've read about people having issues with the camera on the iPhone 6+ not wanting to focus and taking blurry pictures, and/or video. Most articles referenced a clicking sound coming from the camera itself, indicating a hardware problem.
    I've had my 6+ since October, and the camera has performed phenomenally until last week after I did the OTA update to iOS 8.1.3.
    Touching the screen does not seem to have any effect on the camera focusing, occasionally it will act like it's trying to but then go immediately out of focus.
    I am away on business without my MacBook this week, so I have no way to do a restore, and even then I doubt it would fix the problem since it's obviously in the software update.
    There are a couple of threads on the Apple support forums about it, but of course there is nothing helpful there.
    Has anyone else had an issue like this? Some articles I found seemed to indicate that the update fixed their problem, while it has caused mine.

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

I shot some low light rapid succession photos and part of the rapid was that I was seeing a blurred image on capture. But upon review after the fact I saw that the image was reasonably sharp.

3. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

I had this issue - restarted the phone and the problem hasn't returned since.

4. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Thanks for the heads up. I have not upgraded mine yet and I think ill pass till 8.2

5. Weiser878 thread starter macrumors regular

Of course that the first thing I did when I realized it was the phone and not me just being stupid and that didn't rectify it.

----------

Yeah, those always seem to be out of focus but there's usually some gems in the bunch.

In my case I can't see any attempt to focus anymore from tapping on the subject. Autofocus tries to work but settles on an out of focus shot and tapping does nothing but change the exposure.

6. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

7. Weiser878 thread starter macrumors regular

Mine always did until 4 days ago

Which software are you running?

8. Quijano187 macrumors member

i had this problem for 3 weeks. Did restore, reset ect.. Nothing works.. Talked to apple . They will replace my phone this Sat. My front camera is useless. Will not focus for anything.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

Oh, a contrarian, eh? :)

10. Weiser878 thread starter macrumors regular

Can you hear any audible noises coming from yours?
    Several of the stories I saw about replacements referenced that and I'm wondering if Apple will replace it without that.

11. mKTank, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

12. Quijano187 macrumors member

No I have no noise at all coming from mines. They better replace it. This plus is usless without a working front camera

13. Quijano187 macrumors member

Quick update. Took my phone to Apple Store with an appointment and they replaced my phone. I have nothing but great experiences with apple customer service.

14. Brettdrum macrumors newbie

Same issue here . Back camera doesn't focus after 8.1.3 update ... Front camera unaffected . Rebooting does nothing .

15. Weiser878 thread starter macrumors regular

Finally got time to drive to an Apple Store. They replaced my camera. Gave me a little grief about my phone being slightly bent, I'd never noticed since it's always been in a case. When I got it back after the repair it was bent s little more. I'm debating whether to drive all the way back and complain and ask for a new phone but it's so slight I doubt it matters much.

16. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

my 6+ is focusing fine as before.

I am on 8.3