6+ Case Struggle

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Xultar, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I know first world problems...but

I've been handling my 6+ at home without a case and I love it. I find one-handed use is better without a case. Problem is that I still need a case for drop protection.

All the thinnest of the thin are great would probably give me the rolling naked feel but most do not cover top and bottom and don't provide drop protection.

I think I'm just going to get AppleCare Monday. I may try an Apple silicone case or do the Elago or Spigen thinnest of the thin cases and be done with it. I just don't want to have a thick arse case blocking the feel of the device. It is soooo nice.

Any one else wanting to go caseless. What's your strategy on rolling naked?

2. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

perhaps the KAVAJ tokyo would be good for you....it does have the top and bottom exposed but has the corners wrapped so should procide drop protection

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Apple Care Plus is the best case you can get.

A case is really only going to protect the phone from nicks and scratches if it's dropped.

I've repaired/'replaced just as many iPhones with shattered screens in otterbox cases as I have naked iPhones.

A case can't hurt. But one should set their expectations low for any drops. Dont be one of those people that walks into the apple store claiming the phone shouldn't have broken because it had a case in it. :)

4. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I carried my 4 and 4s without cases the entire time. I kept my 4s for 2 years and turned it in to AT&T without a scratch. I bought applecare but didn't need it. Mainly because the 4s was easy to pocket and stash on my person. The 6+ is my first big phone. I'm concerned that I'll drop it more because I'm just not that used to the size. Though I'm practicing.

Everyone knows a drop with breakage really depends on how the device falls case or not. Now whether someone lies about it or makes unreasonable claims because of a device's case...that's on them.

5. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Dropped my iPhone 6 plus with the Apple leather case (waiting for a VAJA to be delivered) on a marble floor, 3 hours after getting the phone. Probably from about chest level. Hit the marble and bounced very little - absorbing the shock of the fall. WOW. My heart stopped for a few seconds, as I picked up the phone and was afraid to look. All good! Whew! Case saved me! No doubt!

Im used to big phones (had the 5.9" HTC one MAX for almost a year and never dropped it).

Glad I ordered the case early, so it was here when I finally got the phone.

Put a non glare screen protector and the leather case on the phone before I even fired it up....... And im GLAD I did!

Wanna test a phone drop? Drop it on a marble floor! Pavement aint got nuthin' vs marble!

6. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Stunning cases. I was considering the portfolio one at one point. I love the tokyo too. But after playing around with the device caseless today I'm just really wanting to feel the device.

Don't tell anyone...even the antenna bands are growing on me!:eek:

----------

So from a feel perspective the apple leather case...does it allow you to feel the thinness of the device? Also does the camera knob stick out with it? Thanks

7. brun019822 macrumors member

here you go, the best case, I have used them for m8, s5, and now iPhone plus. very thin protects well and no open bottom. I ordered a black, white, and pink for the wife.
    http://www.rearthusa.com/iPhone-Plus-Case-Protection-Logo-Cut/dp/B00NHYNP3U

8. Xultar, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

WOAH! I think we have a WINNAH! Thanks. Just checked it out. I think that's the case.

Now have you dropped your other devices in it? Do the corners spread/split on impact? It is a hard case correct?

9. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

10. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

11. brun019822 macrumors member

yeah it really is a awesome case, order the black one if you don't want to wait they have them in stock, the other colors they will have them early october, when I placed the order they called me asking if I wanted for them ship the black one now or wait until the others are in stock or cancel my order, I told them just ship everything together, great customer service.

----------

yes I have dropped my s5 and nothing happened, never split, and yes its hard plastic.

12. brun019822 macrumors member

here are some pics of the s5 ringke case so you can have an idea what it looks like, the only thing I don't like regarding the iPhone plus case is that the back is smooth so it should be a little slippery.

13. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

That's the truth. House we just moved into has marble floors and I hate them. Hardest surface I've ever walked on.

14. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

And slippery too. If my phone fell perfectly face down and hit the marble even with the case on, it would have shattered for sure.

It's waaaaay thinner than I thought. Exactly what I want in a case, and I love leather. But I was concerned it was too thin.
    In fact, I almost sent it back because every one was getting a free case and I paid. Didn't have any protection for the new phone (as much as I wanted to "show it off - naked), and it proved to pay for itself in a few hours! Not going to complain about paying for the case now!

No . With the case on, the camera does not protude past the case at all.

15. dianestory2 macrumors 6502

While I like the feel of the naked phone, I would feel not very smart NOT having a case on it. It would be like driving a car with no insurance. (I guess that is what applecare is, but still... similar concept)

16. OrderFromChaos macrumors member

That case was the one until you mentioned slippery. Is it slippery? I've been trying to find a case that's thin with a little grip on the back. Heck, if I could find just a thin Kevlar-type film I would use that.

17. kovey macrumors 6502a

Apple Care does not replace a case. :rolleyes:

The point of a case is to prevent the phone from exploding upon impact with the ground, so that you can continue on with your life and not have to go to the apple store. Why is this so difficult to understand?

18. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

That does look decent, except what material is that made of? Is it like the rubbery type stuff or the hard plastic?

19. brun019822 macrumors member

Im assuming its a little slippery since its smooth like the one I had for a htc m8 nothing too bad but the one for the galaxy s5 felt much better on the hands

----------

its hard plastic

20. noob17 macrumors member

Does anyone know how i can order the Ringke case for the iPhone 6 plus from RearthUSA website?

I live in the UK and can't seem to see the option to ship to UK

21. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I dont understand when folks say Apple care is the best case. If you drop it, you will have paid $99 + $79. Then another $79. Then you're out of luck. That's one expensive case. Yes I know it covers more than screen replacement but that's the biggest accident that occurs. Granted water damage would not be covered so I guess you have to weigh that risk.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I love a naked iPhone but I carry in a holster. Right now, I'm using a Mophie Juice Pack Helium and a leather holster made for an Android. Since the battery lasts so long in the 6 Plus, I may run naked for a while using the holster, of course.

Real test? Gravel driveway. Even in a case, you may be in trouble depending on how it lands.

I agree that after a broken screen, it feels foolish to have had the iPhone without a case. But honestly, the repair has not been that expensive on previous models.

23. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

24. suttong macrumors newbie

I loved my ringke case until I dropped it, and of course it perfectly landed on the face. Odds of that are slim, but it's 100% when it happens to you.

Attached Files: