6 days in...I now get it!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by woodyas, Apr 29, 2015.

1. woodyas macrumors newbie

Let me be as succinct and cogent as possible: the first few days of getting my Apple Watch I was CERTAIN I was sending it back. Looked great, seemed cool--but just seemed like I did not REALLY need it.

But now on Wednesday, and having had since Friday to play with it, I can see how it has grown on me. And I do see myself using my iPhone 6 Plus less now that I have the watch.

So to anyone that has just got it--or will be getting it this week--be sure to give it a few days before making your decision. It did not WOW me at first--or justify the expense. And I bought the Sport Edition 42--with blue sport band. But as of today...I am almost 99% certain I will not send it back.

2. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Now that you love it, any regrets about not just going for the stainless steel instead of the Sport?

3. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

what do you think of the blue band? I got the hulk favored one & I dont think I'll keep that band :D

4. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Wondering this as well.

5. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

This is interesting... Can you describe what has changed over the past few days to change your mind?
    I just received my watch today (a Sport model) and although I do like it a lot, it hasn't blown my mind yet like I thought it would.. I have a SS Milanese coming to "replace" the Sport but I'm wondering if it is worth almost twice the $$$ to me right now. But like you said, I want to take a few days to see how I feel!

6. woodyas thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly...I almost feel better that I did NOT pay the additional money. It almost makes it easier to justify. (At least for me)

That said: I think the SS looks amazing! And for the 2nd generation I will get that for sure. But for my needs...the Sport is great. And I really feel no remorse on getting this. I just wish they would hurry up and get all the bands in stock--and the charging stands.

7. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

Good to hear. Im on day 2 and as much as I want to love it, I feel like I'm not going to be keeping it. Ill decide on day 13 lol.

8. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Not to hijack the thread, but I have the blue sports band and while it's not too bad, I'll probably be getting the black or the red, once/if that one is available. Blue rarely goes with any kinda clothes that I wear but I mostly did it because I was concerned about the Space Gray showing scuffs easier and the fact that it was 4-6 weeks at 3:01 am

9. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I agree that the thing grows on you. It's hard to explain, but because you wear it during all your waking hours, it feels different than a device that is seperate from you. I am starting to get a feel for the different taptics, and I have winnowed down the apps to ones that seem to have the most value, for now.

10. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

As someone similar to the OP with a blue sports version, I'm actually more glad now that I opted for the sport than before. It doesn't feel cheap as some say and while it doesn't go well with like a suit and tie, it goes well with me and my personality. I'm 23 and the bad feels more "youthful" but probably the biggest reason simply is because, this is a first gen product and if this thing is replaced by V2 next spring, I won't be out too much money. I remember the leap from the iPhone to the iPhone 3G or the iPad to the iPad 2. If it's the same kind of leap with the AW2, I don't want to be stuck with AW1 that I just dropped $800 a year prior.

11. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I feel like i made a mistake now getting the SS model but oh well

12. woodyas thread starter macrumors newbie

Jonny,

I just think the first few days I was EXPECTING TOO MUCH--WANTING IT TO BE SOMETHING IT WASN'T. And...not sure I had mastered everything--and that had me wanting to send it back.

And just wait for the 2nd generation.

But after a few days at work--and using the workout app and seeing how my text messages worked on the watch--I saw that it did allow me to use my phone less. That said: it's not like I use my phone all the time.

All of that said, I am not sure that I could justify spending that much more then I did on this watch. $390--hell, okay let's experiment and go with this thing. Spending $600 and up...not sure it would be worth it.

The watch itself is very comfortable--and the Sport band is cool. But I need to get some more colors--and perhaps get a leather one. But that will be for later.

My main point of the thread was a simple one: JUST GIVE IT A FEW DAYS BEFORE MAKING YOUR FINAL DECISION. Unlike my iPhone, iPad, Kindle, or IMAC--it does not win you over the first day. It really does take a few days to grow on you.

13. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

At first I thought I had made the wrong choice in getting the 42mm SG Sport but it certainly works better for me, especially in uniform. I love the Milanese loop on the SS model but the Sport just works better for me in terms of weight and being less worried about damaging it.

I still want a SS model but probably not enough to have two watches.

14. auero macrumors 65816

Personally I have regrets of getting the Sport. I was never into wearing a watch, but now I'm learning how careless I am with my hands. It's a whole new learning experience because I have to adjust certain activities so I'm careful to not break or scratch the watch.

I already placed an order for a Stainless Steel with sport band to replace my sport watch.

15. Reser macrumors 6502

Got to agree with this, first couple of days i was a little underwhelmed, but then I started to get used to receiving my text messages and alerts on my wrist.

And then I started to realise just how amazing and convenient it was getting these things the second they come in and just being able to tip my wrist and see it in a flash. Now I do not think I could live without it.

The convenience is second to none, and it truly feels like the future at times, such as the first time you get a breaking news alert right to your wrist the second the news breaks. Or being able to check what platform my train is coming in on and when it arrives with 1 tap of my wrist. Or being able to buy a subway sandwich by holding out my wrist.

Just an incredible experience.

16. woodyas thread starter macrumors newbie

Unlike some people on here who try justify the SS or the Sport--I know this: they are both great. And it really is a personal choice--on aesthetics and finances.

I do not FEEL that the sport is cheap--in fact, I have gotten nothing but compliments at work on this. That said, I also think the SS looks better. And probably will be the one I get on the next go around. Just as others have said...I figured go with the "cheapest" option and then see how it works for me over the next year.

But I am happy for everyone on whatever Watch they got...and look forward to learning more cool tips on this forum. WE CAN ALL HELP EACH OTHER OUT ON WHATEVER WATCH WE GOT.

17. anez macrumors 6502

anez

This is exactly how I feel. I went for the Sport because I hadn't owned a smartwatch before and I wasn't fully sure I would really use one, so it was easier to justify the cheaper option.

I have concluded that I love it and would hate to be without one now, so I may well move up to the steel for the next version, since I feel it's worth it for the amount of use and wear it will get.

That said, if the Sport holds up well over the next year or two, I might stick with that, instead. Assuming Apple continues with the three tiered approach for Gen 2...

18. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Would you not think something like the leather loop could maybe dress the watch up? I think it would look fine with a suit and tie if you had that. Now I don't own an AW, but I think those leather bands could dress it up.

19. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

still way to early to tell IMHO

It's going to take a month.

20. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Thanks OP for taking time to reply to my question, I hope the discussion continues in this thread because it is nice to actually read some opinions on MacRumors without bickering and name-calling! So THIS is where all the adults were hanging out!!!

I hope everybody enjoys their watch most of all, whatever model you choose!

21. digduggler macrumors regular

I think the OP nails it. With the first iPhone it was....I'm holding the future in my hands. This is Star Trek ****.

With the watch, there isn't that 'future' feeling. But after a few days there is this getting part of my life back feeling. When you get a message on your phone, you might check it. Then check Facebook. Maybe a little Twitter. Oh I meant to look this thing up earlier. With the watch it's - oh so and so texted me. I can reply (canned or Siri) and move along. I barely touched my phone last weekend for the first time in a long time.

Also the fitness aspect, while not unique to the iPhone, is getting my ass in gear. I want those 3 rings every day.

22. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

This is how I am feeling too. It doesn't wow you at first. In fact, you try to use it on purpose because its a new gadget and you want to play with it, but then you realize how dumb it is typing a long text when your phone is right there.

But where it really shines is the quick notifications that are a simple haptic. My phone never vibrates or make sounds anymore. I feel a haptic touch and I glance at the watch and see a junk email came in. You don't even dismiss it, you just go back to what you are doing because you'll delete it later. And maps on your wrist while you're driving is so convenient. ApplePay, etc. It really is just a brilliant device that's always there if you need it.

It's really quite brilliant.

I am glad I went with the Sport as well. I am sure the SS is great but I'd rather spend big money on the 2nd or 3rd version and use the first as what it is: a Gen 1 Device. I plan on buying a Leather Loop when everything calms down and they're in stores. It will dress the Sport model up fine.

23. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

Yes, THIS! ^^ I originally ordered SG/Black because it was "practical" and would "go with everything". But I'm not practical...I'm a goofy, sassy 43 year old gamer nerd mom, and I wanted the GREEN! So I cancelled black and ordered green and I'm so glad I did...it's fun and bright and it makes me smile when I look at it, because it's ME.

I think the wide range of prices, materials, and colors Apple offers is a great way to include all personalities.

24. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I'd add into that my calendar of daily activities. "I thought I had something this afternoon <flick and look> Oh yes, 1:30" Not having to chase my phone down is also a big plus. I find it getting more looks than my iphone, which just kind a sits over there for most of the day, until I need a screen that big.

FWIW, I went with the SS model and do not think about it or begrudge others their decisions/opinions. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Can't go wrong with whatever model fits your needs/budget/and desires, IMO.