Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
My iPhone has recently started to die at 30% battery remaining, every time. I have heard that you are supposed to let the battery drain to reset the battery gauge, but I can't do that because...if it hit's 30% it dies and I have to charge it again.

I plan on backing up and restoring when I get a chance, but is there anything else I could try first?

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
It's still under Apple Care - right? I would be giving Apple a call. That is not normal.

ardinho80

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2015
Are you in a snowy or very cold area? My phone began to die between 30-40 percent during a trip snowboarding but it went right back to normal when I got home.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
My iPhone 4s and 5 did that, but it was solved with new batteries I put in. But that was after 2+ years and a little bad luck. Batteries are chemical based and some of them fail early.

I wouldn't say it's software, especially after a restore with nothing on the phone where it still does it. Sounds like you need a new battery sadly. Shouldn't be more than $30 I wouldn't think.

Always try a fresh restore though to rule it out.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have the 6+ also and I have not really worried about draining it to reset the battery. I have let it get down to below 20% before charging but I have never drained it. What I read said to do it to get an idea how long it will last but it is not necessary. Mine will last for two days with no issues and I tend to use it a lot.

That said you should be able to get below 30% and not have it shut down. If you have an apple store close by you can make an appointment for the genius bar and have them test it for free.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
I wouldn't say it's software, especially after a restore with nothing on the phone where it still does it. Sounds like you need a new battery sadly. Shouldn't be more than $30 I wouldn't think.

Always try a fresh restore though to rule it out.

Yes, I will do a fresh restore later tonight. I really hope that will fix it because I don't really want to fork over $79 to Apple to replace a battery only 15 months old (really wish we had EU-style consumer protection), and the 6 Plus battery replacement instructions on iFixit look a bit...intimidating,more complicated than the MBP trackpad and battery replacements I've done before.

This is reminding me that my iPhone did die prematurely a few times in the past, but at 9 or 10 percent. It was never repeatable like this, though.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Hmm, shame on me for not looking at iFixit. It does look like things have changed a bit from the 4s/5. 4s was a piece of cake since it just had a back panel and the battery was right there. The 5 was a bit harder, but I never had to remove the display, rather I just propped it up against something and swapped the battery that way. It is a bit crazy what Apple charges to replace a sub $10 part. But that's what they do.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
It seems a restore fixed it, but now it seems I can't re-add a credit card to Apple Pay. Stuck in an infinite "sign in to iCloud" loop. Restarting, signing out/in does nothing.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Well, it's happening again. But this time it happened at 90%. I guess I will take it into the Apple Store this weekend. Anyone have any luck getting Apple to replace batteries out of warranty? I will probably go the iFixit route if they won't.

hockeysj

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016
My iPhone has recently started to die at 30% battery remaining, every time. I have heard that you are supposed to let the battery drain to reset the battery gauge, but I can't do that because...if it hit's 30% it dies and I have to charge it again.

I plan on backing up and restoring when I get a chance, but is there anything else I could try first?
hopefully you've already found the solution but you most likely need your battery replaced. The link below is correct. This affects 6S's only with a very specific manufacturing date. Check your serial number and then if it says that yours is one of the ones with the defect they will replace the battery for free. Pretty painless at the Apple store and mine was over a year old before I got irritated enough to look to see if there was a problem. They didn't even mention the age, just looked up the serial # and replaced the battery. https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Gabrielanicolao

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
I don't know why iPhone is having the problem over 30% remaining battery because my sister is also using the iPhone 6+ and she has never faced any problem.

I think you take the help of Apple customer care. Hope your problem will resolve.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
hopefully you've already found the solution but you most likely need your battery replaced. The link below is correct. This affects 6S's only with a very specific manufacturing date. Check your serial number and then if it says that yours is one of the ones with the defect they will replace the battery for free. Pretty painless at the Apple store and mine was over a year old before I got irritated enough to look to see if there was a problem. They didn't even mention the age, just looked up the serial # and replaced the battery. https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

I have a 6, not a 6S. Battery had to be replaced, but it was likely different than the 6S issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.