6 gb ram upgrade, suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tim018, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Tim018 macrumors regular

so i have a umbp late 08 (the one you can only put 6gb ram in) and i would like to upgrade it to 6gb of ram. i have found two places that i hear are reputable that are about similar price, but id like to know whats the best option; who has the better ram.

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_a...Intel_Core_2_Duo_15.4_2.53GHz_Memory_1524.asp

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566D6R3S4GB/

I do a lot of photoshop work with this computer with a lot of other stuff open, and I'm wondering the best way to speed up the computer. It has a 2.53 ghz processor and I upgraded the hdd to a 7200 rpm hdd, would upgrading it to 6gb ram be the best way to improve speed?

thanks for the tips

tim

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Lots of people, including myself, have had good experiences with macsales.com. I haven't heard of DMS. I doubt you can go wrong with either, but I'd vote for macsales.com just because of familiarity.

3. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Same here. I bought OWC's (macsales) 4GB DDR2 module for my iMac 7,1 and it's running perfectly alongside a 2GB module for a total of 6GB. Not a hiccup.

4. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Both places seem good, but I'd go for MacSales, their stuff is always pretty good:D Good luck with your new RAM!

5. Tim018 thread starter macrumors regular

aight, thanks for the responses, currently im still running 10.5 cuz it runs so much better on my macbook (heat/battery/expose issues)...will i need to upgrade to 10.6 to use the 6gb or will 10.5 still recognize it and use it properly?

thanks again