Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Hey guys, can apple genius bar diagnose this problem? My phone gets really hot when watching Netflix, YouTube, playing games etc.. Am not talking about just warn but extremely hot that you have to put it down..

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I had an iphone (6) that was getting hot while just doing some web browsing and I kept it for a week. It didn't get better. I returned it for a refund. I wouldn't bother with the genius appointment because they'll give you a white box replacement. If that's ok with you then keep the appointment.

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I had an iphone (6) that was getting hot while just doing some web browsing and I kept it for a week. It didn't get better. I returned it for a refund. I wouldn't bother with the genius appointment because they'll give you a white box replacement. If that's ok with you then keep the appointment.

Those white box phones, are they new phones without the accessories or they refurbished phones?

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
They are service units without accessories that could be new or a refurb I believe. I've heard a lot of stories where the service units were actually brand new phones within the first few months of the phone launching. It just depends.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wonder if they'll consider that normal, because playing games and the other tasks do stress the CPU/GPU.

Mine doesn't get terribly warm from watching youtube so I don't think its normal.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
After 45 minutes of Real Racing my 6+ get quite warm but not so warm that I would not be able to hold it. I consider it normal as the CPU is working hard and using lots of battery!

So hot you can't hold is not normal.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
If its easily repeatable than for the half hour before, and during the appointment has it playing Netflix. Hand them the phone and ask if this is normal.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I wonder if they'll consider that normal, because playing games and the other tasks do stress the CPU/GPU.

Mine doesn't get terribly warm from watching youtube so I don't think its normal.

I dont think its normal, I play this game called Vainglory (very graphically demanding game that uses Apple Metal) for about a hour or more at a time sometimes and my device doesnt even get that hot at all it gets pretty warm but thats it, not even that warm either

On a 6 Plus btw

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
try to restore it, set it up as new and sync your info, re download your apps

(not from a backup). you'll lose your text messages though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.