6 hours after opening the box watch face all scratched up

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jukens, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Jukens macrumors regular

So I just received my 42mm space grey sport watch today. Wife has had hers for almost a month now. Wore it for a few hours until I had to go behind my tv and adjust my router and in doing so lightly rubbed the wall. I immediately thought to look at the face to make sure I didn't scratch it. Sure enough it left hair line scratches in many spots on the face and across a portion of the curved edge. How does textured drywall cause the screen to scratch?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Painted drywall can be abrasive. I've scratched my old Luminox by scraping it along a wall doing something similar to you. But it wasn't glass I don't think.

3. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

Drywall 1, Watch 0. You gotta be more careful. Anything with a Mohs hardness of more than 7 will scratch that watch face. The painted texture will no doubt do a number on that watch face.

4. KojiH macrumors 6502

Wow. Sorry to hear that it got scratched up on Day 1. Perhaps you could take it to a watch repair shop and have the crystal polished.

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That sucks. This will be the first watch for many that does not have a bezel. Therefore, leaving that screen recessed bit.

6. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Quick! Swap it with your wife's. Then say "Honey... What did you do to your watch??" :p

Seriously tho - it's a bummer. I hope to be getting mine in the next couple of weeks and I'm actually considering some form of screen protector even though initially I thought it sounded like a dumb idea as I've been wearing a Tag Formula One for six years which still looks pristine...

7. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Alternatively; take it off next time you are doing that sort of work, asking for trouble otherwise.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

one could suggest buying Apple Care+ now and wait a few days before filing a claim but obviously i am not gonna do that :p

9. mr.anthonyramos macrumors regular

mr.anthonyramos

10. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

In the UK, it is a criminal offence to encourage someone else to commit insurance fraud - which itself is also a criminal offence. Perhaps the same applies in the US.

11. timize macrumors regular

timize

How is using AppleCare a criminal offense? It covers two accidental damages.

12. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Buying AppleCare+ only AFTER accidental damage has occurred and then claiming for that damage = insurance fraud = criminal offence.

13. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Apple Care+ is an insurance after all. If you buy an insurance AFTER an incident has happened it's most likely not legal anywhere in the world.

14. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

Honestly, I think insurance investigators and claims adjusters have far bigger claims to worry about than a $400 Apple Watch claim. Good grief.

15. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

"Good grief"?

OK, then - here's a suggestion for everyone who thinks insurance fraud is OK.

YOU all pay some money into a pot. Anyone who has an incident with their watch (for which they hadn't previously bought insurance) can take money out of that pot whenever they need to, in order to pay for their uninsured replacements and repairs. Whenever that pot of money runs low, you all keep topping it back up again out of your own pockets.

There will be no oversight or governance over those taking money out of the pot, because everyone has bigger things to worry about. So anyone who feels like dipping in should just go right ahead and keep on taking. And you all keep on paying.

All honest AppleCare+ customers (the ones who don't commit fraud) can then pay a fair price now and in the future, instead of subsidising people who think it's OK to defraud them. Because there's one thing you can be sure of - it's always customers who end up paying for abuse of the system.

16. timize macrumors regular

timize

The difference is with AppleCare, you DON'T pay a monthly/yearly premium for the insurance. You either buy it with the product or within 60 days of purchasing the product. Then you're out of luck.

17. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Wow, I just stated the obvious. Of course there are insurable goods far more worth than the Apple Watch but in all seriousness my point still stands..

18. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I totally support @iConnected 's post nevertheless.

Why would I pay 65€ (in Europe, for the Sport) to subsidize people who wreck their watch and buy AC+ after it? No, just no.

Sorry for double post.

19. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

For the record, buying AppleCare+ after accidental damage is not a crime.

Immoral, yes, but not a crime.

20. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

I'm aware of that, thanks :)

By "...pay a fair price now and in the future" I obviously mean that honest AppleCare+ customers should be able to buy AppleCare+ now and in the future (ie on their next device) at fair prices. Fair prices should not have to include a sum that offsets an insurer's costs in paying out on fraudulent claims.

21. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Wrong. Buying AC+ after accidental damage and then claiming for that damage IS a crime. And also immoral.

22. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Where your mistake lies is that you believe AppleCare+ is insurance. It's not. Apple does not reference it as insurance. Nowhere in their terms will you find mention of insurance.

You will never find a case of anybody being charged with anything related to AppleCare+.

23. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

In the UK (the only country where I have asserted that a fraudulent claim would be a criminal offence), the accidental damage element of AppleCare+ is indeed an insurance product:

"Thank you for buying AppleCare+, an insurance policy underwritten by AIG Europe Limited (“AIG”) who agrees to insure Your iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple Watch or Apple Watch Sport according to the terms and conditions contained in this Policy."

Source: https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_uk_tc.html

24. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Omg, I got my Apple Watch yesterday. Love it. Wore it to a high school function for my son and came home took it off and put it on the charger. This morning on the subway I noticed the face glass had a huge scratch!!! then I realized it's an arm hair from my way over hairy arms.....

25. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I am not knowledgeable on UK law. My post is referring to the U.S.

Are you in the UK?