6 Hours to Activation? Is this for real?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sullez, Oct 14, 2011.

1. sullez macrumors 6502

I have never done self activation of a cell phone - This was in my at&t premier email this morning

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Uhhhhhhhhh…Maybe It's because servers will be overloaded?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its probably because the servers are (or will) get overloaded as people line up and start buying the iPhones

4. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Does, activation still have to occur if you just pop your iPhone 4 sim into the 4s?

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I dunno, I've always been told it can "take up to four hours" for your phone to start working when I've activated them, but usually happend in 2-20 minutes. I'm expecting a long wait this time, but not 4-6 hours. We'll see, though!

6. Type X macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

7. fjrabon macrumors regular

probably just them doing the normal customer service time estimate, where they tell you the longest time it could take under any highly improbably set of circumstances. It will probably take around 2-15 minutes. I don't see it being worse than when the iPhone 4 was released. If anything it should be better that past releases, because even though the 4S is selling better (at least right now) that load is divided up by more carriers.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'm pretty sure they always say that when you get a new phone. It just means that your phone number has to propagate through their system to be registered to your device/sim card (Depending on if it is CDMA/GSM).

Usually it will take under an hour. You will probably be able to make calls, but not receive them till it is done.