6 Hours to burn 2 750MB clips to a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nStyle, Jan 3, 2010.

1. nStyle macrumors 6502a

That is what iDVD is reporting... This could be a really horrible prediction or otherwise accurate?

To top it off... the CPU is around 80-83C and CPU usage is at 100% almost.

I don't understand why it would take this long to burn 2 simple .avi 750 MB clips to a DVD?

Is Toast any faster than this?

I'm also curious why my files appear to be 7GB on the disc when they are only 750 MB a piece? I had to change it from "Best Performance" to "Pro Quality" or something... which didn't make sense for Pro Quality to take only 4.1 gigs on the disc.

Can someone explain this to me or at least tell me if this is all normal?

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

if your burning it for playing in a dvd player, then the files need to be converted to video TS folders and such, fully encoded, you should burn 1 each to their own disc, 1 700Mb film fully encoded is roughly 4Gb or there abouts, unless your using a dual layer disc,

you could use toast to encode, it might be faster but it's all down to what machine your using,

3. RealaT macrumors regular

It's because iDVD isn't simply burning 2 files onto a DVD, it is converting them to a format suitable for a DVD player.

Is this your intention, or did you simply wish to make a data disc with 2 files on it?

EDIT: Beaten to it with a better answer :cool:

4. nStyle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just bought a 15" MBP... has the 2.53 I believe... 4GB... etc.

I am fitting both 750mb clips on the DVD... I realize it took a long time but 6 hours!?

Does 2 hours even sound normal? To encode two movies?

Is there a faster way to make these two movies playable back on a DVD player? I don't suppose burning as a data disc would work? I guess the only thing I will be losing by using a DVD is quality vs a DVD+DL?

Thanks for the prompt replies.

5. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

3 hours per 700Mb :O ouch, what else are you doing?
    im running a 2.16Ghz iMac C2D and encoding roughly takes a couple of hours,

burning a data disc would only work on another computer or ps3, there are some dvd players that would play it but im not sure which,

personally i'd burn each file separately, to it's own disc,

oh and download SMC fan control from Here turn ya fans up a little, i know how hot MBP's can get encoding stuff lol ;)

6. nStyle thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you think something could b wrong with my mac?

I just realized I could burn them to a data DVD though since the dude thats going to play it has a 360.. wow .. waste of time encoding.

7. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i wouldnt say something wrong, maybe some of the hardcore video encoders will see this thread an offer a better explanation, but it seems weird to me that i can encode a full length film in about 2 hours, and your machine is faster then mine,

8. nStyle thread starter macrumors 6502a

How large is the film before encoding? Or one that takes you around 2 hours?

9. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

varies between 690Mb and 700Mb, anything bigger then that wont fit properly on a single layer disc ;)

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well just restating what other's have said:

Perfectly normal since it has to convert the .avi file to be suitable to play on any DVD player.

If you just burned the .avi file to the disc it would of been MUCH faster, and not use so much CPU :D

11. nStyle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I plan to playback on the xbox 360, but just curious is there any way to edit the .avis and add menus and chapters, or am I going to have to have MKV for that? Even then will the xbox 360 recognize the chapters?

12. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

sorry dude, no clue, it might recognize the chapters, the only way i know to add menu's and such is to convert it, burn the .avi's down and they should still have some makeshift type of menu but it wont be as pretty as a proper menu