6+ is 16gig enough ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mister69, Oct 30, 2014.

1. mister69 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone ,
    Looking to make a purchase but cannot afford the 64gig.

On my current 16gig iphone I have 10gig free.

Any drawbacks anyone can think of ? If I get a 6+ 16g will it be slower than a 64g?

Thanks

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

No they are the same speed, the storage size is just different. Seems with 10GB free the 16GB would work for you.

3. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Apparently 16GB seems to be enough for your use. Having 10GB free on a 16GB phone is being pretty frugal with space. So yea, you should be fine w/16GB.

Drawbacks: not being able to shot and store very much video. Being mindful that the next iOS update may require a lot a free disc space and may take a larger footprint.

4. mister69 thread starter macrumors newbie

The next iOS being large is a good point .

In that case I guess my only option would be to load all my pics and video onto my MacBook .

5. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

If you can afford the 6+ in the first place, just save a little bit more money and get the 64gb. It really is going to come in handy if you plan to have this phone for a long time. You might be frugal in the way you use space now, but once you realize how get the phone is as a camera and media device, it will fill up quickly. Cloud based options are available, but not as convenient if you are constantly moving stuff over to the cloud to free up space. For $100 more you are getting 4x the storage.

6. Dewfang macrumors member

Really? a Gig refers to storage and nothing to do with speed. I would say most people on this forum could fill a 16gig IPhone with pictures and apps alone, forget music and videos.

7. mister69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use only streaming music and don't take much video.

I thought for some reason when you get close to filling up the phone slows down(at least my droids did)

8. themyst macrumors 6502

If you are planning on loading up a ton of games/apps, and record video frequently, the 16GB won't be enough.

If all you do on your phone is check your instagram, facebook, twitter etc, 16gb is enough.

Everyone uses their phone in different ways.

9. stasha macrumors 6502

16gb is enough i could have thousand photos and 20 apps and there was still lot of free place on my previous iphone. and its not slower than 64,impossible.

10. Daniel Quell macrumors member

Honestly, no it really isn't. If you plan to take any amount of pictures and download a game or too you will be very restricted. I know someone with an ipad mini retina with 16gb and they are constantly deleting apps and photos to make room and that individual is a light user. 64gb is the base model imo.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you have that much space available on your current phone then you should be ok with a 16GB iPhone 6+.

12. mister69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point

Has anyone gotten the 6 and tried to trade to a 6plus after the fact? Or the other way around? (eBay or craigslist)

Apple only gives 14 day return

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I implore you to save an extra $100-150 (to include tax's :/) to get the 64GB. 16GB's is just silly these days. For some reason I always think its really sad when I see such a beautifully designed device that is as large as a tablet/phablet but only 16GB...your going to be constantly clearing room....do yourself a favor because in the long run it will help and you might regret it far after the 14 or 30 days you get it...so many people I know regret getting the 16GB model....I feel almost bad! I almost want to hand out an extra $100 to people who say they can't afford the 64GB!

14. bakron1 macrumors member

I use my device for my email, messaging and social apps and I bought a 64 gig 6+ model on launch day and after realizing I didn't use 3/4 of the apps I had installed on my phone. I traded a guy for a 16 gig model and some serious cash that made it worth my while.

Now after removing the apps I didn't use and optimizing my device. I have 7 gig free, a less cluttered home screen and I am a happy camper.

15. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

16GB is definitely faster - faster to fill up.

16. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

mine is a 16GB iPhone 6 and I am happy with it. Like you I always stream stuff and I don't store music or videos on my phone and no games either. I guess the only problem is future releases of iOS. They may take bit more space with every release. iOS 7 used to be around 1.6GB and now iOS 8 near 2GB and I remember not too long ago iOS 6 was around 900MB :D

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Save a little longer and get the 64GB unit.

You do not know what you will do after you get the 6+ but 16GB is very limiting.

18. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Actually in all seriousness Apple should have never released a 16GB. Total joke. 32,64,128 or 64,128,256. What were they thinking? You know how much the OS takes up alone? The OS + photos alone will burn you. If you can't afford 64 you shouldn't be getting a 6 at all. You should get a 5S. Seriously. And yeah you'll get burned by the OS alone soon enough. Oh and have fun loading 1080p in there and if you're not planning on it then no need for the 6+. Not to mention resale. No one is going to buy a 16GB from you when the iP7 comes out. Unless it's for parts.

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

6+ is 16gig enough ?

iOS 8 is way too big for any 16GB device I think. That's just my opinion though. Apps, music, and pictures can easily fill up a device. I believe they should have gone the way of 32GB being the entry level amount. That would of been beneficial for us consumers.

20. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

If you currently have 10GB of free space now you might be ok with the 16 model. You can always use other means of storage such as iCloud if you begin running low on storage.

21. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

I have the 16gb 6+ and have no problems. I stream all of my music through Spotify and upload my pictures to my PC about once a month. I have 65 Apps installed with 7.2 GB left. I feel completely comfortable with the space I have.

22. stagmeister macrumors regular

It sounds like your concern is that buying the 16gb phone will be more affordable than the 64gb one. That's true and I can't deny that saving $100-$150 (to include the tax) is a fair savings. But over the course of your contract, you'll pay the same monthly phone bill no matter what kind of iPhone you get. So if you pay $80/month (just to pull a number out of the air), over 24 months that's almost $2,000. The extra $100 to buy 64gb will make the experience that much better because you will never need to worry about running out of space.

23. spider101 macrumors newbie

Even though I prefer 64GB for future-proof, I got a 6 plus 16GB because I could get it for cheap ($665 no tax). I have very basic needs with the phone: web browsing, some apps, some photos, some music (< 50 songs), a couple of video clips and so far, 16GB has served me well. Again, I would still prefer 64GB.

24. mister69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all well my 6 regular only shows 12gig used

What ha think ... Could I get a 6plus 16gig?

Does that mean I would have 4gig free or less because of the iOS ?