6 Macs and all had/have flaws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaLurker, Jan 23, 2008.

1. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I've had 6 Intel macs come through my hands in the last year and a half. Every one of them had some flaw that I had to take back to Apple. There are a couple of minor ones, but my later laptops had some more serious issues.

The following is an account of my 6 laptops and the issues I've had with them.

To count them off in chronological order from oldest to newest:
    1. Black Macbook Core Duo
    Problem: The "n" key wasn't work.
    Resolution: Replaced top case.
    Problem: A severe bussing near the bottom of the screen. Started off happening only when I tilted the screen back. Eventually it was always.
    Resolution: They replaced the inverter, the LCD and still didn't resolve the issue. They were nice enough to offer a replacement C2D Black Macbook. The replacement is machine #2.

2. Black Macbook Core 2 Duo
    Problem: Upper right hand side of the screen has a dark smudge. It was behind the LCD.
    Resolution: Since this was a replacement, I had a receipt for it so I took it back for an exchange.

3. Black Macbook Core 2 Duo
    Problem: Popping hinge. Everytime I opened the laptop, the top case would "pop" like the hinge assembly wasn't assembled properly and the LCD would rub agains the bottom of the laptop.
    Resolution: I took it back again for an exchange, I didn't want a hinge popping.

4. Black Macbook Core 2 Duo
    Problem: 3 stuck pixels. All around the middle of the screen. One red, two green.
    Resolution: Yorkdale said they weren't going to exchange it for me anymore which is perfectly understandable but after the ordeal I went through, I decided I no longer wanted a black Macbook. Left a sour taste in my mouth. I took it to Eaton Center and a genius was nice enough to upgrade me without charging the restocking fee.

5. 15" Macbook Pro 2.16ghz C2D (Pre SR)
    Problem: Initially there was a stuck red pixel but with some rubbing it went away. The power button was also sunk. After 4 months of use, it would start to periodically hang. I tried different RAM, different software and nothing. It only happend every week to two weeks and under load. I dismissed it. 8 months after getting it, it would randomly shut down at 80%. At this point my dad was using the MBP.
    Resolution: Took it in and they exchanged the top case and replaced the battery. It no longer crashes. Looks like the batter wasn't providing enough voltage thus causing the crashing.

6. 15" Macbook Pro 2.2ghz C2D (SR)
    Problem: Graphic corruption in the bottom 3/4 of the screen. It started off happening every week or so. It would disappear within half a second. Eventually it would happen almost everytime I opened the laptop and I couldn't predict how long it would stay.
    Resolution: Its at the Apple store right now. The geniuses don't know what it is but we're predicting its the Logic Board.

Anyways the point of this post is to document the frustrating experience I've had with Apple products. I really like them but I can't have this much bad luck can I? Anyways I hope it comes back fixed and I can get on with my life.

It just sucks being without your main computer for 2-3 days for hardware issues.

By the way I don't need to hear about the perfect laptop you have, I know they are out there. I just wish I had one.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Ugh, that's awful...I'm sorry :( I hope your luck changes.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

I had over ten in 2006/2007! Mainly macbook pros, but a few macbooks too. They all had various issues and all were returned/replaced. So, six is fine ;)

4. TimJim macrumors 6502a

My family and I have had 9 macs all together with no problems.

an OLD Tower (don't remember what it's called)
    iMac G3
    iMac G4
    iBook G3
    iBook G4

(2) Black Macbook Intel Core Duo
    White Macbook Intel Core Duo
    15" Macbook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo

We are opposites i guess.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I think quality and quality control has become worse, even though Apple's laptops have had issue for many years, starting with the powerbook 5300 series and with a few exceptions all the way up to the present crop. Of course it's probably the case that most people don't have issues, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a LOT of people with issues.

Also, it depends on expectations. I expect a display to be evenly illuminated, for example, but I know a lot of people who wouldn't notice if it wasn't. I expect that the hinges don't squeak, but I know many people who wouldn't think about that either. It's how picky you are and I'm picky when i spend this kind of money.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

It seems some just don't get the luck of the draw.. sorry to hear this.

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

9. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

Know how you feel, I'm sending in my MBP for the 3rd time. 4th Screen I've been through with the Yellowing/defective bottom third syndrome.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

My first Mac had similar problems. My parents bought me a TiBook 500, after a month the screen started shorting out, sent it to Apple, they sent it back. I told them it was still happening. Sent it out, back in 3 days, working great.

A year later, I was trying to use a friends printer, and the USB port broke off. Sent it in, they replaced the Logic Board.

Started having screen issues, blanking out for no reason. Replaced screen (left a small piece of brown adhesive tape behind Apple, still there).

174 days after the previous service, Entire Logic Board goes belly up. I can only run in OS 9 and only with one of my two RAM sticks installed. I spent 2 days backing up data, while using a small fan to keep the machine from overheating. They replaced the logic board again, apparently there was something wrong with my RAM (I sold the RAM on eBay for $100, with disclaimers, and bought more for myself at $130.)

The case is still slightly bent from my make-shift solution to the original shoring problem, but it is a great machine, that my dad now uses all the time.

I'm now on a TiBook 667 (DVI), it has some minor issues that I could fix, but they don't hamper performance or the ability to use it (see my thread about the stuck column of pixels on the screen).

I ascribe most of my issues to the TiBook 500 being a revision A machine, but I also think ESD may have something to do with it. Blame everything on manufacturer ESD.

TEG

11. MurphyM macrumors 6502

My G5 had to have a board replaced within the first months. Warranty.

My Macbook Pro had a fan die and then the other fan died shortly after. Apple has had a hard time getting the thing back together. They messed up the case, then the trackpad, then the backlight.

I paid for the fan repair. So everything after that was covered by the repair warranty.

For any notebook you should definitely have Applecare. It's expensive, but if you're going to have the thing for more than a year there's a good change you'll save money that way. You can't win.

I opened a Macbook Pro for a friend. It was tricky on the edge by the latch - both to open it and to get is closed again.

From my experience with Apple products I'd say they're no more or less inclined to have quality problems than a Thinkpad.

12. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

13. ls10flpanyc macrumors newbie

I started with an Apple SE - no problems

Then got a Performa 636 (I think that was the numbering) - no problems

Then upgraded to a Powerbook G3 - had an issue with the CD-ROM (would sometimes not read discs), but didn't have Applecare and so I dealt with it

Moved on to an iBook G3 - an issue developed with the CD-ROM again, but this time I was within the one year warranty, and so Apple replaced the disc drive and LCD (I forgot why, I guess they found something) for free

Then I got a Powerbook G4 1GHz Ti - still have it, still love it, but I abused it...I dropped it once and it caused the screen to show lines like static if I moved the computer (I suspect the graphics card was loosened from the impact). Completely my fault though, and again I had no Applecare (you would have thought I'd learn) and so I dealt with it.

Now I have a brand new MacBook 2.2GHz, so far no problems, but I will be purchasing Applecare just in case haha

Sorry that you have had such bad luck...although I had two machines with some problems, 2/6 (over 14/15 years, started with that SE when I was 6, now I'm 20 going on 21) isn't a bad track record

14. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

I've had 3 macs in total. An iMac G4, iBook G4, and iMac G5.

The iMac G4 is almost 6 years old and yet it its still running wonderfully with no problems whatsoever. It is great for web and email.

The iBook G4's hard drive died but it was after the 3 year applecare. I'm thinking of replacing it soon.

My first iMac G5 had I think 2 dead pixels, so I replaced it for another. (Sidenote - the G5's fans blow like crazy every once in a while for no reason.)

Also... my iPod 5G Video had to be replaced because of some rainbow effect on the screen.

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I thought I had a problem today, but it just turned out I had unknowingly managed to drain the battery to 1%. Oopsie!

I do feel your pain, though. No matter how great they are about making good on getting you a no-defect machine, it just gets stupid after a while.

Oh, crap! Not that I have (or really ever have had) a problem, but when you mentioned Eaton, I realized it's just a couple of blocks from me. I'm working at Ryerson this week (and yes, this Arizona kid is freezing his bollocks off!), and have a half-day to kill tomorrow.

I really, REALLY, don't need to spend any more money!

16. DaLurker thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys, thanks for the sympathy and understanding!

Yeah its been really cold lately. Supposed to stay this way for a while :S Time to pull out those long johns haha