6 Months On In The Apple World

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DogCatMSMac, May 20, 2015.

1. DogCatMSMac macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

OK, I've been in the Mac world for 6 months now with a Retina 5K. Mostly I like it, here are some things to improve if you are listening Apple-

- Office ergonomics have been around for at least 20 years, what's with not being able to adjust the height of the monitor?

- Finder is functional but I can't help thinking that Steve Jobs jotted the concept down on a cocktail napkin 30 years ago and it hasn't been improved much since, please at least bring it up to Windows Explorer functionality.

- Steve Jobs was supposed to have recognized the genius of the mouse, I would have expected the Cadillac of all mice in the Apple world. I use Magic Mouse because I can't get my old favorite Logitech mouse to work well here. Magic Mouse has some good points but could do more and it can feel sticky on the desktop when trying to move it around with CAD work.

- You know the auto-hide thing with the Dock, gosh I hate it when you have to wiggle the mouse around at the bottom of the screen to get the dock to appear...

Well I think that's about it. Actually I would like to get rid of Windows forever but I've got this CAD work that only exists on that side...

2. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Just put the cursor at the bottom and it will come up. If you move it back and forth without "settling" the cursor it won't come. Shouldn't take more than a split second if you do it right.

3. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

What do you mean by Windows Explorer functionality ?

4. sartrekid macrumors 6502

I've never used the Magic Mouse. I use a Logitech MX Performance mouse and it works perfectly. You can use software to configure the mouse (as well as many other models) by using something like Controller Mate. http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

5. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Coming from Windows 8.1, I find Finder better than Explorer. Most annoying feature of Windows Explorer introduced in Windows 7 are the 'templates'. So a e.g. folder with MP3s is automatically recognized and the layout is adapted. I always turned this off. I prefer just the list view.

What I don't understand why there's no transfer speed indicator and pause button during copy/move.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Not sure what you are looking for, but Finder was not perfect for me either. I found TotalFinder and it solved pretty much all my problems.

I use Hyperdock to make my dock more functional. You may find a solution. Have a look at both programs.

7. DogCatMSMac thread starter macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

Thanks for the various suggestions I'll look at them. I see HyperDock seems to also lets you snap windows to easily bring order to the screen, something else I miss from Windows.
    Explorer is kind of lame but I like the layout, everything is more in front of you, there are also third party Windows programs that improve on Explorer. Finder is hidden behind too many layers. I find Default Folder X is a big help saving files with Finder.

8. Fishrrman, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015

Fishrrman macrumors G3

Have you tried either:
    - USB Overdrive
    or
    - SteerMouse ???

I've been using Logitech mice with my desktop Macs for years, and wouldn't use anything else...