Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaiFiMacFan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2023
Brooklyn, NY
So nothing for regular AirPods, eh? :(

I get that some of these features only make sense with ANC, but why can't the non-Pro AirPods get "fast device switching"?

I'm still worried that some day they'll just discontinue the non-Pro AirPods, even though some of us really don't like silicone tips.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Why haven’t they done more variety of colors for the AirPods. It’s always been white, yet I can see many jumping at the opportunity to get a different color AirPod, asthetically of course.
Whenever Apple uses plastic for its devices, it’s almost always white (there are a few exceptions). Even the plastic on the colored iMac and MacBook cables is white (except the space grey version, which is black plastic). I think they believe that colored plastic doesn’t look as premium, look at the iPhone 5C for example.

I think that darker AirPods could look great, but other colors might look like other cheap knockoffs, meaning they wouldn’t look as good as we think they would.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016

I get that some of these features only make sense with ANC, but why can't the non-Pro AirPods get "fast device switching"?

I'm still worried that some day they'll just discontinue the non-Pro AirPods, even though some of us really don't like silicone tips.
It looks like they already have. The 1st gen AirPods silently stopped getting firmware updates about two years ago. None of the new features have been backported either, obviously, since then.

Since this update for the mute switch is only coming to 3rd gen AirPods, 1st and 2nd gen AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max; I think it's safe to say that they are probably going to silently stop supporting the 2nd gen AirPods now, too.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Monque

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Looking forward to all of these features, except maybe the elimination of "Hey" - I've seen Siri unintentionally activate many times even when "Hey Siri" was the required phrase.
Examples:
"Hey Sweetie!"
The radio: "In other news toDAY, SYRIa was"
"Are you serious?"

I expect shortening the trigger phrase to just "Siri" will produce many more accidental activations.

nemodomi

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
AirPods are pure Apple, reminiscent of the Steve Jobs era. Incredibly simple looking devices, that are incredibly complex behind their beautiful industrial design. Steve's maxims "Surprise and delight" and "it just works" are fully present in AirPods and they just keep getting better. They're insanely great.
👍👍👍 I couldn't agree with you more!!

I've been thoroughly researching all available tech details of AirPods Pro 2, for potential purposes of my fiancee employing them as quasi-hearing-aids.

The Scent of Steve™ is all over them!! 😮😍🤩❤️😛

Oh-es-Ten

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
London
Wait.. what? Fast device switching is only coming to 2nd Gen AirPods Pro?

They have still not fixed a switching bug I reported a year ago, where starting a workout on the watch would switch to the AirPods Pro to play music with the workout. This worked for a while brilliantly, and then one update broke and never came back. You now have to manually switch the Airplay settings on Watch to force the switch, and then start the workout. Completely broken - and mad considering it worked perfectly when the switching feature was released. Tried factory restore to Watch and AirPods Pro and still busted. No response to Feedback ID - FB9975272

• Wow

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Maybe mine will stop chiming every time they are moved and actually recognize that they are mine…
This drives me insane too. Have you figured out why?

My only guess is that I also use them with my work account (different Apple ID, also owned by me) and Find My then lists them as "belonging" to that other account as well as mine. Super frustrating.

ajkoeltz

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2022
I haven't been able to download the DB firmware. For those who have, have you noticed any difference in sound? Deeper bass? Fuller soundscape? Just curious if anyone has noticed anything. TIA!!

iFishishh

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
MR mods heads-rent free

the same reason the new iPhone 15 won't be able to utilize the faster usb-c connections that are offered in the pro model.. or so at least as rumor has it. my guess would be the chip but it has seemingly become apple fashion to purposely withhold some easy to implement features for the sake of distinction between two offered versions. one being cheaper than the other. I miss the steve jobs era

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Siri handling multiple commands in succession eh. Is this another ‘theoretically’ impressive feature that doesn’t work anywhere near as well in practice?….

At least they’re still adding features to the buds. I plan to jump on the USB-C APP2 to replace my OGs, so these feature updates will make them a great improvement on the 1st gen.

Wildsau

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Desperate question but did anyone actually buy the AirPods 3? Never see them anywhere and seem to have been a bit of a flop that has gone under the radar.

I did (they are my first Airpods) and I see plenty of them in our city - I get that I'm a very small sample size but in a city of a million people, it seems like about 1 out of 4 Airpod users here has the 3s, easily distinguishable by the shorter stem of course.

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
So far it's been great, and the improvement is particularly notable on the Mac. My personal Mac is running Sonoma but my work Mac is still on Ventura, and the lack of auto-switching on the latter bugs me every day.
Thank goodness! Great to hear. Like you the switching to my M1 MBP is troublesome. Might jump on the betas as they seem to be pretty mature now.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Sounds like it will be quite a useful alternative as a hearing aid. I don't need a hearing aid, but my mum could sure use one.

For myself, if there is a way to control how much the background noise is reduced so that it isn't entirely cut out, I could see myself using these in loud bars where it's impossible to have a convo without yelling. Does anyone know if the background noise reduction has its own volume control?

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I’ve been toying with going back to Sony (I went from Sony to the AirPods Pro when my dog ate my last Sonys). I haven’t been overwhelmed by the AirPods Pro’s functionality and the fact that they keep falling out of my ears during workouts. One of these days they’re going to get crunched in the elliptical. Some of these updates sound pretty good. I’ll hold off and see what they bring to the table. I’d rather not fork over another $300 right now…

Hildy

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
This drives me insane too. Have you figured out why?

My only guess is that I also use them with my work account (different Apple ID, also owned by me) and Find My then lists them as "belonging" to that other account as well as mine. Super frustrating.
I think my issues has something to do with 2FA on my iCloud account, but I’m too busy to sort it out.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I think my issues has something to do with 2FA on my iCloud account, but I’m too busy to sort it out.
Yeah, same. It's too minor of an annoyance to do too much legwork. For what it's worth, I haven't had it happen for a while, maybe since the last AirPods firmware update.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
they keep falling out of my ears during workouts. One of these days they’re going to get crunched in the elliptical
There are I believe foam tips that are designed to stay in better -- and I've seen little hook things that you can attach for workouts and active use. Kinda clunky but maybe good for that specific need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.