6 or 6s from iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vcof2005, Feb 23, 2016.

1. vcof2005 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I have an iPhone 5 that I've been using since it came out and basically, its not cutting it for me anymore. I am going to buy a used iPhone 6 or 6S. I will wait until the 7 drops before i fully upgrade to the newest model and change my service provider (going from AT&T to Verizon).

My question is since both phones have been out for a while, are there are reasons to not pick one or the other? Update bugs or other issues that make people want to stay away or choose one over the other? Ill only have it for a few months before ill be selling or trading it in for the 7.

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Not really, it's pretty much just cost. 6S has a bit more stuff of course.

3. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

If you are anyway going to buy an iPhone 7 and are looking for something in the interim, I'd recommend iPhone 6 chiefly because its cheaper. Alternatively, you may try the about to be released iPhone 5se (while more expensive than a used 6/6s, you may later look to sell it or trade it in when buying the 7). All the best :)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016 ---
    There have been no known bugs or issues with either the 6 or the 6s. Since they are the recent iterations of iPhones, both respond quite well to the iOS 9 updates so far.

4. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I moved from the 5 to 6S, because I wanted my next phone to have at least 2GB of RAM (but that's just me).
    The A9 is also a huge improvement over the A8.
    If you want to keep your phone for sometime, get the 6S.

As for bugs, there are still bugs. My 6S sometimes lost its animation (eg. screen transition, opening folder). The only way to fix it is a reboot. Apple really is slacking off on iOS9.

5. xixi.li macrumors regular

buying a used iPhone 6 or 6S sounds like both ok.lol

6. Simche macrumors member

Simche

I'd definately wait for the iPhone 7 :)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just remember thanks to force touch stuff the 6s will have less battery capacity. Still even knowing that, I'd opt for the 6s

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I recently changed from my launch day iPhone 5 after over 3 years and opted for the 6S direct from Apple so i could stay on the decent sim only contract that i have. I worked on the basis that i've kept both my previous iPhones for 3 years so it seemed more sensible to go for the latest one to see me through as long as i wanted to really.

I also thought that should the new iPhone 7 really tempt me i've a good chance of making a decent amount back on not to old, kept in a case 64gb 6S compared to other models.

9. recoil80 macrumors 68000

This
    Coming from a 5 the 6s is the more forward-thinking move. Thanks to the 2GB it will be more future proof, and 3D touch may become more important with future versions of iOS

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have the 6s and love it, but since the OP really only intends to use the phone to bide their time before the 7 is released, I would opt for the 6 to save some money. I would imagine the OP would sell their 5 to offset some of the cost of the 6/6s.

11. vcof2005 thread starter macrumors member

I plan on selling the 5 but i just cracked the screen 2 days ago so i wont be anything for it that will matter. All of these opinions have been super helpful.

12. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

is there anyon to disable the 3D Force touch to save battery?

13. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

In Settings > General > Accessibility > 3D Touch you can turn it off, I'm not sure that would make a difference to battery though.

14. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I don't think you can save battery life by disabling 3D touch. It consumes something when you peek and pop, but if you don't use it it won't suck battery
    You can save something by disabling "hey siri" but even in that case I wound't expect a big difference

15. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

6s. The touchID works great, and it just feels more solid. Plus I've dropped it a bunch of times -- not even a scratch on it.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Being that you're coming for an5, you seem to keep devices for a while. That said, if the 6s is an option, I'd go with that. The 2gb ram alone will increase its longevity tremendously.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    The reason battery life was mentioned with 3D Touch was because the hardware to allow 3D Touch physically takes up space. Therefore the battery in the 6s has a lower overal physical capacity (though not by much) than the 6. The battery drain of the feature itself is negligible.

17. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

For what it's worth, I have the 6s and originally thought it wasn't really worth the upgrade. The force touch was kind of pointless and I never use it. However, now that I just bought a retina iMac, I am really thankful for the 4k video. There are reviews out there comparing the quality of the video from the 6s to a DSLR and at least in broad daylight, it beats DSLR's (that dont shoot in 4k, but still cost thousands of dollars new) in terms of clarity of image.

18. Cakefish macrumors 6502

Cakefish

A9 is more power efficient than A8 so it balances out.

19. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

If you take many photos with your phone the 12mp camera on the 6s is huge. The ability to zoom in on photos without it getting blurry is awesome.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Perfectly fair assesment. I was trying to think one, two, or three years ahead (again, the OP is using an iPhone 5, so it's a fair assumption whatever phone is purchased today will be kept for a few years). The 2GB of ram is noticable today by many, and will be even more noticable three years from now, at which point we are unlikely to even see an iPhone with less than 2GB on board being sold by Apple at all. I suspect the iPhone 6 is going to show its age much sooner than the 6s would, from a longeivity standpoint.