6 or 8-core for Pro Tools DAW?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by psychometry, Aug 2, 2010.

1. psychometry macrumors regular

Are there any producers or audio engineers out there who have an opinion on which of the new Mac Pros would be best for a DAW using Pro Tools LE? I'm not able to find much information on whether having more cores or a higher clock speed is beneficial.

2. strausd macrumors 68030

3. psychometry thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good. I take Paypal.

4. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

I'm a Logic user myself and from my research thus far, with the current state of audio DAW's higher clock speeds + RAM are going to be more beneficial than higher core counts.

I'm looking at going with the 6 core with 12GB of RAM myself. It'll only go up to 16GB with the 4 RAM slots, but considering I'm running everything off a MacBook Pro C2D with 4GB of RAM I think it'll last me a long time.

I'm looking for advice on this topic as well though.

5. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

I am in the same position and I am considering the same thing. I also run Logic through a late 2008 MBP. I need something with a little more power and PCI Express slots so I am going to switch to the Mac Pro. It is looking like the 12 core will cost about $1300 more than the 6 core. With that money I could nearly max out the memory and install an SSD (not through Apple). I would much rather have the higher clock speed + much more memory + an SSD than the extra processor/cores.

6. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm looking to get the OWC 120GB SSD as my boot drive. I'll also use the saved money to probably pick up the new Apogee Symphony I/O and the Symphony Card to connect it via PCIe.

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

IIRC the DP keeps value much better, plus four more RAM slots

8. telequest macrumors regular

Yes, but the 8-core only runs at 2.4 GHz, while the 6-core runs at a snappy 3.33 GHz. The slower clock of the 8-core might seem a bit draggy down the road.

Though I agree that the 4 RAM slots on the SP (4 and 6 core models) is a real drag. Idiotic that Apple couldn't fit more RAM space in a giant MP tower when it managed to squeeze the same number into the iMacs (even the lowly entry level model). This was a choice they made in previous SP models (true at least with the 2009s, not sure about earlier). It was a mistake then and a worse mistake now.

My trusty old 2004 G5 has 8 RAM slots. It is, however, dual processor ... 1 core each! :rolleyes:

I'll be getting a 2010. Similar choice between the 6 and 8 core and similar concerns. But doing video with Final Cut Studio and Adobe CS5. Leaning toward the 6-core despite the RAM limitations.

9. geenome macrumors newbie

Looking to upgrade my G5

Running PT 8 on G5 (1.8 x2) and scared to add more plug ins to my mixes in case it flakes out. Have been searching ebay for a new mac pro, with the news of the higher clock speeds being better for audio, I may go for a new 6 core model when they come out.

If only I could find out the price they'll cost in the UK.

10. keewe macrumors member

if you REALLY need more than 16 GB ram (actually 4x8GB should work as well), go for the 8 core. if not, the 6 core definitiley is the better choice.

11. Quash macrumors regular

If you check OWC ram prices. the price for getting 4x8gb is only 300$ more then 8x4gb. (1500$ vs 1200$ i't expensive either way :) )
    So not a huge gap. It would really surprise me if the price for 6 core would be close to that of the 8 core though.

12. Muso75 macrumors newbie

Have you seen the Logic Multicore Benchmark test?

My mate's got a 2009 8-core @ 2.93ghz with 16Gb RAM - he get's 68 tracks.

My other mate has a 2009 quad core 2.66Ghz with 6Gb RAM - he gets 60 tracks.

This definitely confirms to me that higher clock speed, single processor (whether they are quad or hex) machines are the way to go... at least for the foreseeable future.

I've decided to ditch my decrepid G5 / Protools HD3 rig for a 6-core beast with 12Gb RAM and a Magma PCIe-PCI chassis.

13. TEKZENMUSIC macrumors newbie

So in keeping with the topic of the post :p What will give us more RTAS plugins in Pro Tools? A slower chip w more cores (8) or less cores w faster clock speed??

14. rob4u macrumors newbie

So what about the 12 core 2.93 and Pro Tool 8. Why don't you guys rate the 12 core higher that 6 core 3.33? I'll bet the 12 core beat the 6 core.
    Will Pro Tool benefit from 12 core? Any body who knows?

Best, Rob