Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have a series 5 that’s basically like new but my son has been wanting an Apple Watch for a while and I am tempted to do the buy one get one free deal with AT&T.

Worth it to get the cellular, and get the deal or just get him a GPS watch?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If you already have a Series 5, the Series 6 doesn't really add much (blood oxygen monitor, slightly faster chip and always on altimeter), but if you are buying one anyway I wouldn't say no to a free one.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
If you already have a Series 5, the Series 6 doesn't really add much (blood oxygen monitor, slightly faster chip and always on altimeter), but if you are buying one anyway I wouldn't say no to a free one.

I guess the thing is they aren’t really free by the time you have to pay for cellular service, But I would have my series 5 to sell which would basically make the cellular service free for a good while as well.

I don’t really need the series 6, but the cellular option is nice because I like the fall detection. We live on property in a rural area and it would just be a nice bonus feature to have.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I can’t say much for the differences as I only had a S5 for a couple of weeks but I really like my S6.

But yeah as @bodonnell202 said, if you’re planning on getting one for the kid you might as well take them up on their offer and treat yourself.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I guess the thing is they aren’t really free by the time you have to pay for cellular service, But I would have my series 5 to sell which would basically make the cellular service free for a good while as well.

I don’t really need the series 6, but the cellular option is nice because I like the fall detection. We live on property in a rural area and it would just be a nice bonus feature to have.

What’s the deal? I don’t have an Apple Watch but would like one.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

You don't need a cellular Apple Watch to take advantage of fall detection. You just have to have your phone within range of your watch and the two need to be connected via bluetooth.

Not saying a cellular option isn't beneficial in some aspects. A BOGO deal is something good to take advantage of if the deal strikes your fancy.

I traded in a Series 4 WiFi on a S6 coupled with the discount my carrier was offering when buying a new iPhone it was too hard for me to pass up--so I understand the temptation. :p Performance wise, I don't see a significant difference. Sure Blood Oxygen, Altimeter, Compass and AOD are nice features to take advantage of. No regrets.

starbucks1222

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Antioch, CA
I was not going to upgrade my 5 until I saw the BOGO. Grabbed the 6 Graphite for myself, and upgraded my grandfathers 4 for free. Couldn’t say no to a bogo.

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
You don't need a cellular Apple Watch to take advantage of fall detection. You just have to have your phone within range of your watch and the two need to be connected via bluetooth.

Not saying a cellular option isn't beneficial in some aspects. A BOGO deal is something good to take advantage of if the deal strikes your fancy.

I traded in a Series 4 WiFi on a S6 coupled with the discount my carrier was offering when buying a new iPhone it was too hard for me to pass up--so I understand the temptation. :p Performance wise, I don't see a significant difference. Sure Blood Oxygen, Altimeter, Compass and AOD are nice features to take advantage of. No regrets.
No but the fall detection would really be beneficial for me if I was out on my property and fell, and in that situation, I wouldn’t be near my phone.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
What’s the deal? I don’t have an Apple Watch but would like one.
Basically you buy two watches and have cell service on them and they credit you back the monthly payment on the less expensive one, which would be perfect for me because I’d be getting my son an SE.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
No but the fall detection would really be beneficial for me if I was out on my property and fell, and in that situation, I wouldn’t be near my phone.
Oh I get it. Just making sure you were aware that cellular isn't a requirement. I got my mother a cellular option for the very same reason.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well in the end I couldn’t pass it up. Got a 40mm 6 silver (same as always) for myself and a 44mm SE (space gray with the charcoal sport loop) for my son. I’ll likely just pick him up a couple used sport bands from eBay or something to go along with it.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I can’t say much for the differences as I only had a S5 for a couple of weeks but I really like my S6.

But yeah as @bodonnell202 said, if you’re planning on getting one for the kid you might as well take them up on their offer and treat yourself.

well the S6 has the U1 chip has well and its a little thinner has well too

Reactions: staggerlee41

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
well the S6 has the U1 chip has well and its a little thinner has well too

Oh cool! A little thinner will be a bonus!

I’m not expecting much difference in my S5 and a S6, but I got my S5 for basically nothing when they were $100 off at Amazon in the spring and I sold my cellular series 4 for what I paid for the 5. And one of my older sisters wants my series 5 and is paying me almost what I paid for it, and then I’m getting the one for my son free, so it was really a no brainer.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I just upgraded to the S6 graphite from a S5 SB SS. So far, I haven’t noticed any difference between the two other than the S6 charges faster. If not for the good deal I scored on eBay I would have just stuck with my S5.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I just upgraded to the S6 graphite from a S5 SB SS. So far, I haven’t noticed any difference between the two other than the S6 charges faster. If not for the good deal I scored on eBay I would have just stuck with my S5.

Well I wound up going for it because I mean - free watch. I really didn’t need to upgrade, but since my sister is buying my 5, it really worked out just fine. I got both watches yesterday - got my 6 all set up, and about to wrap up my son’s SE.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
Well I wound up going for it because I mean - free watch. I really didn’t need to upgrade, but since my sister is buying my 5, it really worked out just fine. I got both watches yesterday - got my 6 all set up, and about to wrap up my son’s SE.
Nice! I sold my S5 on eBay but wish I could have sold it to a family member. The resell value is really low so I would have preferred to give a family member a break rather than deal with eBay but oh well.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

A definite no brainer. Nice gift for your son and a nice treat for yourself as well. Congrats! If you don't have Apple Music already, it might be a good time to get it. There's a way you can get 5 months for free through Shazam if you are a first time subscriber--this is only for Music. I am going to do a bundle with Apple TV and Music and do the family thing so my Mother can use them both as well. I really haven't used the cellular aspect of the watch yet so this would be a good way to take advantage of a service I'm paying for already. Really just wanted the peace of mind much like you. As my father said many times to me before he passed, "can't take it with you so why not."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.