6+ owners: Can you run/exercise with your new phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by B.A.T, Sep 19, 2014.

1. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I'll be waiting until January before I upgrade from my iPhone 5 but I'm curious if the 6+ is too big to do any long trail runs with. I don't want to go to the Apple store this weekend because of the crowds (and the inevitable new iPhone lust) but I'd like some opinions on running with the 6+ from some of you who just got it today. Thanks.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Saw someone at the gym's 6 Plus fall out of their shorts running on the treadmill, but the headphone cord saved it from the fall. :(

3. applebro macrumors regular

applebro

I run just fine, in fact, it's easier than with the iphone 5. my runs are slower and more mileage so my strides are not as vigorous

4. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I didn't even think about this, is there a new Nike band out?

5. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still haven't seen any of these out in the wild. Anybody tried running with their 6 plus yet?

6. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Haven't tried running yet, but cycling is no problem. Done a couple hundred km with the iPhone so far.

7. chrisvanhorn macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

o_O Who the hell runs with stuff in their pockets? Hold it in your hand or get an iPod shuffle on the cheap. Simple.

8. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

flipbelt is the only method for running and even that is tight. I'm waiting for quadlock to come out with their case for cycling. The only drawback to big phones is that it sucks for exercising.

www.flipbelt.com

www.quadlockcase.com

9. Marli macrumors regular

I use the fitbit, now, but will get the Apple Watch when it's released.. That's my fix for a big phone.

10. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

But the thing that sucks with apple watch is that you still need a iPhone for it to function properly. Therefore you're still carrying the BIG phone around

11. Marli macrumors regular

Not while running. It will record and sync when you get home.

12. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

I'll be cycling about 20+ miles a day with mine.

Do you already have a bicycle mount for it? if so which one?

I'll be buying this one when its available for iphone 6 plus (they say a couple months before they'll have one at least).
    http://www.quadlockcase.com/products/iphone-6-bike-mount-kit

which do you use?

Nearly certain my current iphone 5 mount wont work :p

13. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

No GPS included though.

14. Marli macrumors regular

6+ owners: Can you run/exercise with your new phone

Yeh, if that's the case it's a limitation.

I am looking at one of the belts that carried the plus. I think it's the only way of running with it..

I used an arm band with the 5s, but the plus is a little big..

It will count steps like the fitbit. That's all I do now..

15. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Link?

16. Marli macrumors regular

17. golfdude macrumors regular

Even running with my 6 is iffy. I can't wear my typical baggy gym shorts, I have to wear shorts that are a little tighter fitting. I can imagine with the 6+ it's even worse. Lately I have been just using an old iPod to run with and leaving the phone at home. But everything else at the gym has been good with the 6. I see plenty of +'s at the gym.

18. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Do you have a source that confirms that?

19. Marli macrumors regular

Not on me.. But I don't think they will sell many if it doesn't have this basic feature.

----------

Same, just use one on my old iPods. Using a nano at the moment, with the Nike plus in the shoe.

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I haven't ran with my 6+, but to be fair I never did with my 5S or 4S either. I don't like anything when I run though. Just ID and a bill. That said I'm more a treadmill runner or track where I can just have things close by.

Workout though, I've had no issues at the gym with 6+.

21. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I run with mine all the time! I had gotten a SpiBelt 'large pocket' for the Galaxy Note 3 and use it now with the (much lighter) iPhone 6. It works great ... but make sure to get the 'large pocket' version.

22. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

I don't really run, I lift more. I just stick the plus in my short pocket and workout. Haven't had a problem.

23. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Apple watch is a joke without built in gps for running. apple is suckering everyone with half baked features . The gps will be in apple watch 2

24. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow that looks sweet! I haven't been on my road bike in a while (been running instead) but I plan to get back on but was worried I'd have to leave my iPhone in my saddle pack (which is nearly full as it is with other important stuff). The wait is just a pain! Oh well I guess thats what we get for being bleeding edge technology fiends :D XD

25. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

'Joke'? Um, no.

But it IS divisive - I use both a Garmin (with GPS) and a Magellan Echo, which basically is a display for the phone GPS. Each has benefits and drawbacks.

As for the iWatch itself ... we have at least 5 months before it is 'real' according to some reports, so no rush to judge it yet :)