6 Plus 128G Battery draining issue.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tonypg, Oct 27, 2014.

1. tonypg macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Just got my 6 plus with 128GB three days ago. I have heard people said over twitter or reviews written by tech websites that the battery in 6 plus could last for 2 days with medium usage. But so far as i can see, it couldn't last as long as people were saying.

I am using iOS 8.1 now. Yesterday i fully charged my phone at 4 PM and about 10 PM, i only got 50% battery left. I didn't use my phone to watch movies, play games or did any other heavy stuff. Mostly just few phone calls with iMessage and IM apps. I turned off cellular data whenever i have wifi(Which means most of the time in a day because i got wifi in my office and home.). I turned off most of the notifications, bluetooth, locations services of system and background app refresh...

I am bit desperate by now because i don't know where went wrong. So i took a look at the system log and i found something like below,

Oct 28 09:49:49 iPhone-6-Plus CommCenter[73] <Error>: throttleCallBack(): Clearing throttle timer on context ID 0
    Oct 28 09:49:49 iPhone-6-Plus CommCenter[73] <Error>: throttleCallBack(): Clearing throttle timer on context ID 2
    Oct 28 09:50:25 iPhone-6-Plus lockdownd[66] <Error>: Could not set socket option SO_OPPORTUNISTIC: Invalid argument
    Oct 28 09:54:52 iPhone-6-Plus wirelessproxd[53] <Notice>: (Error) trying to stop a scan while the central isn't available

The above lines seem to be errors repeatly in the log. Does that mean i have some incompatible apps in my phone? Anyone could help? Thanks!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what does you usage screen show? what is your brightness set at?

3. tonypg thread starter macrumors newbie

Earlier yesterday it was about 4 hours usage and 4 hours standby. only got 50% left.

And this is later on. For the link provided by Shadowbech, i read that article earlier googling. I have done everything but still no changes...

Attached Files:

4. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Give it a week. Seems like there is back ground stuff going on at first. Do a couple of zero to full charges . Also check usage it lists what apps are using power by percentage. Can clue you in if something is haywire. Facebook is one app notorious for constantly activating your radios.

Sometimes an app can hang up and runs in back ground, so double click home button and close things down. Reopen as needed. Also background updates, notifications, and several other things are good to turn off as there is no need usually for apps to get updates while closed, or ask for your location, etc. all these functions use your radios and your phone is literally making calls to give and get data. That eats power.

If things don't improve after a week, take it in to Apple have me run diagnostic. Every so often a bad battery does get out.

5. tonypg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a week and see. Maybe schedule an apple genius after that to see if the battery life is okay.

6. macmaccy macrumors member

This worked for me on four iPhone 6 plus's that I own.... Turn off "motion calibration", "Location-Based iAds" , and "Frequent Locations" in Location Services settings.

There are several discussions on Apple boards about motion calibration. Seems it doesn't shut-off and drains your battery (might be a bug in iOS 8). For me, and my other iPhones, motion calibration was running all the time on 3 of my iPhones and about 80-90% on the other.

On the iPhone I use, I saw a dramatic increase in battery life. I usually charge my phone 100% when I leave to work and come home at about 75% battery. After shutting those settings off I now have 88-92% battery.

I use my phone light to moderate during the day. I usually get numerous alerts, texts, and several phone calls.

7. tonypg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey there, thanks for the feedback.

I did turn off "Location-Based iAds" and "Frequent Locations" but i didn't turn off "motion calibration" because i felt like it may affect GPS locating. But i just turn it off and see if it's gonna help. I do realize that there is this locating icon beside this item which means it has been running in the past 24 hours. Let's see if it will help.

8. macmaccy macrumors member

There seems to be lots of conflicting information on what exactly motion calibration does for your iPhone. I have it off and I have not seen any difference in my health app for steps or elevation. I don't use the compass so I really can't confirm it has or does not have any impact on that.

I do know my battery life has improved.:)

I also have a 128GB 6 Plus on AT&T.

9. tonypg thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you also turn off "Compass Calibration"?

10. macmaccy macrumors member