6 plus: "banding" on white background?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shr631, Nov 8, 2014.

1. shr631 macrumors regular

Anybody know what these vertical bands or stripey things are on the display? They are alternating bright white and dimmer white stripes (almost light gray) running the full vertical length of the display. Each stripe is about half the thickness of the lightning wire, and the stripe pattern runs from horizontal edge to edge. (They really are there - two friends verified it tonight.) New phone, just out of box. I'm sure others have had this, but I couldn't find a thread about it.

Admittedly, these are terrible pics, sorry. Hope folks can see the banding though. If not, I'll try and post better pics tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

3. shr631 thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed..ugh, I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'll leave these up in the meantime in case anyone has had this issue. (They're there but super hard to see in my pics)

4. cababah macrumors 68000

Stop staring at all white screens trying to find problems

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

That's not banding. That's clouding. A common and inherent occurrence in lcd tech.

6. shr631 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I looked into this a bit, but clouding seems to be more blotchy, whereas this is almost like a seersucker pattern. Strange. Other searches brought up the term "vertical interlacing" which seems to be a myth but describes what i'm seeing :confused:

7. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

The problem is many website and apps use white backgrounds.

Nothing is perfect, unless it truly bothers you to no end I'd just adapt. I exchanged my 6 because of light bleed and severe yellowing in one corner, but I don't mind minor imperfections.

Also, I hate the "lottery" because your replacement may have different/worse issues.

8. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    Really?

You think that's banding? Can barely see it.

Was it bothering your viewing experience such that you were forced to look for any problem by putting up a completely white background then adjusting the brightness and angle until you convinced yourself that there was a "problem"?

I used to be like you. The first step in dealing with your problem is to first admit that you have a problem. Yes...my name is MJD Dawg and I'm a recovering LCD Panel-oholic!

After years of stressing over such things, I eventually came to realize that there is no perfect LCD panel, and that unless there was an obvious issue on the panel that affected my viewing and usage of the product, I decided to just start enjoying my electronics instead of lurking on geek web sites trying to find problems.

Playing the "trying to find the perfect panel" game will usually lead to you to a "worse" panel than the one you had a problem with.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've got the same. Mine is in the four corners. In just dealing with it until they have phones readily in stock. I also have crashes and lag. Some of this could apparently be due to the memory in my device. Again, waiting to see if Apple does something about this. Apparently the device logs all of these crashes, so I figure the more I have, the better evidence I have if I want a replacement.

10. shr631 thread starter macrumors regular

I was going to wait it was out as well, but I checked my local store this morning and the rep had one look at it and said they'd change it out; ended up scoring a 64GB so they let me downgrade from my 128GB. Screen is perfect.

Hope you get a replacement soon!

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Neat. I assume you were still in your return period?

12. shr631 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, I'm not sure why ppl presume I'm being OCD/picky (projecting I suppose). Friends and family would love to see that quality in me. Anyway, I hear you. I think it's a different situation though; my issue was prominent and visible. Apple rep took all of 1.5 seconds to heartily offer to switch it out. Anyway I have what appears to be a perfect panel now, as it should be for a $1,000 phone.

----------

Yes, fortunately I was within the return period; I picked it up yesterday after giving my 6 to my gf.

They might have replacement stock in your case, no?