6 Plus battery life. Is it improved?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxmaut, Sep 19, 2014.

1. maxmaut macrumors regular

So I activated the phone, put in the sim card and restored.

It was 5 pm when I did that. The phone was sitting at 60% of battery.

For one hour I was installing new stuff from the App Store, playing with the phone, had a 5 min Skype video call, and then it was sitting for three hours idle.

After four hours of a very moderate use it went down to 20%.

So 10% every hour. Very moderate use.

Where is the promised "almost two days" battery life?

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

What kind of battery life were you getting on your previous iPhone? The numbers you've given definitely shake one's confidence in the 6 Plus's battery life, but real world numbers are really user-dependent. Everyone has different background apps and processes that will affect usage.

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

Installing a bunch of apps costumes a lot of battery life, what did you expect?

4. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

It always happens when we first get a phone, we are playing around with it, adjusting settings, downloading apps, surfing the Web. You will use it much more the first few days then you will use it normally. At the same time the battery is not conditioned yet. Let the battery die out, recharge to full, let it die again and then use it normally. Watch how much the battery life improves within the week.

5. maxmaut thread starter macrumors regular

Right now it's plugged into USB with original lightning cable, and while the screen is on (just home screen, no apps running) the phone stays at 8% and does not go up.

6. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

How are you making out today? All charged and good to go? If not, you may want to exchange.

7. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

You are using regular USB and not a high powered USB. These are larger batteries than the old phones.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

10% an hour with relatively heavy usage (continuous downloading is one thing that can really kill the battery)? I think that's pretty good!

I downloaded apps for an hour on my iPhone 5 yesterday - went from 100% to 40%.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

i'm testing that right now... as i do with all my new apple devices. so far so good. excellent rate of drainage.

10. RByers8252 macrumors regular

The battery percent isn't perfect either. It takes a lot longer to go from 100-80 than it does 80-60 so that 11+ hours of constant use according to what you saw. I can live with that considering at most I'm on the phone 5-10 minutes an hour on a normal day.

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

That is a horrible test sample. Especially if restoring from an iCloud backup. Wait a day or so and we will get real battery reports. I've had mine 24 hours and it's looking promising.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Using some USB connections will not supply enough power to BOTH charge and use the device at the same time. Plug in the charger to charge.

13. dryice589 macrumors member

1.5 hours use. 4 hours standby. Currently at 90%.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Exchange?

Good Grief!

Give it a day or two before you exchange.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah I don't trust any battery reports until people have had these devices a few weeks.

'New toy syndrome.'

16. Cryates macrumors 68000

This is ridiculous thread and post. GIVE IT SOME FREAKING TIME. No one can get an accurate read on battery life with the charge out of the box. A true idea of battery life will come once you quit messing with your new toy every two seconds and get back in to normal use patterns as well.

17. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

I mess with my old toy every two seconds :)
    Surely usage time is usage time? Whether you achieve this with very little additional standby time is immaterial.

18. bmms8 macrumors 68020

You should ask people to post their usage times, my battery is doing well so far and i do expect it to improve a little bit. Currently on my first battery cycle draining it down :)

19. coolnwo macrumors member

SO far the battery life is very impressive. My old 5 would be at 75 where my Plus is at 94%.

So far amazing.

20. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Those reviews that said they got two full days of use is BS.

I woke up at 7 started using new iphone plus at 8 and did minor internet/messaging/twitter and by 11 i was down to 68%. no way they got two full days of use.

21. Cryates macrumors 68000

22. itjw macrumors 65816

So I've been playing Bioshock at max brightness, and six hours in, phone dies...

Steve would never let that happen.

Shame on you battery!

23. Cryates macrumors 68000

Six straight hours of gaming on a device, I would say your problem is bigger than battery life lol

24. erftbll81 macrumors member

I'm happy with the battery so far, i'd say half of it was LTE and half was wifi usage.

Attached Files:

25. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I set it up last night and it charged over night. 4 hours use and 7 hours stand by and I'm still at 65%. Seems good to I me.