6 Plus - big, but?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Nov 10, 2014.

1. noobinator, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

noobinator macrumors 601

I am coming from an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5 so when I first used the 6 plus it felt huge. But now that I've been using it for awhile it almost feels small sometimes haha. I honestly think I wouldn't mind a bit bigger. Not too much bigger but it's weird how perception changes over time. I once thought a 4.7" phone was massive.

I have a Nexus 6 pre-ordered too which is slightly bigger than the 6 plus.

Anyone else finding the size feeling smaller or could even go bigger?

Or have I lost my mind? :p

2. buntym macrumors member

Am I the only one that thought that this thread was going to be about people with big butts using the 6 Plus?

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

lol sorry to disappoint. This proves the value of a well placed comma

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

My iPhone 6 Plus does not have a big butt. Stop being sexist.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I was expecting big butts as well.

6. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I share your thoughts about the phone. after just a couple of days you get used to it and now it actually feels like it could have been a bit bigger. I only wish that most apps would be more optimised for this screen, everything feels like blown up iPhone apps. Even the apps that are optimised for the Plus specifically.

IMO, every app should have a landscape mode now that the home screen supports it. Nothing is more frustrating than having to turn your phone in portrait just because of one app. And some times, and this is even worse, they lock certain parts of an app to portrait while certain parts can be used in landscape. Facebook is a good example, the wall is portrait only but the embedded browser can be held in landscape. It boggles me why you wouldn't have an all-landscape interface in the first place. They did it with iPad, so it's not impossible.

I really hope developers will treat the Plus for what it is, a phablet, and not just a phone.

7. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I had a 6 Plus for a few days before going with the 6. I've been regretting sending it back occasiaonlly but as an iPad owner I personally couldn't justify it.

8. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

I Got a big butt you want to make something of it? Bring it!

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

6+ user here as well. The way a couple of you have described it is perfect...at first it felt huge, but now it just feels right.

Of course, I'm no stranger to large phones. I had the Note 2 and 3 (and loved them) and I've got a Nexus 6 that will be here in a couple of weeks (can't wait!)

There are challenges to having such a large phone, as any phablet owner will tell you. I have no problem pocketing it, but there are times when I worry and take excessive care in handling it. For instance, I went to a football game the other day (full disclosure, I carry my phones in my back pocket), and obviously I couldn't leave it there while sitting in the stands. This stupid bendgate thing has me worried way too much. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying it doesn't exist...I'm just saying it's now put that thought in the back of my mind. So I ended up sitting at the football game with my 6+ in my hand the entire time. That was kinda weird.

The one thing I'd love to see Apple do to differentiate the 6+ from the 6 is to add something like multi-window or split pane usage. The screen is more than large enough for this and it would go a long way to making use of the larger screen.

10. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it does quickly start to feel normal, but it's still about as large as I could go. I can operate the plus one handed pretty easily without using reachability. Any larger and I probably wouldn't be able to.

11. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

No... Lol.. It made me chuckle as well.

12. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I was debating between the 6 plus and the 6 when they were first announced. Bought the 6 first and messed with the 6 plus at the store and thought the 6 plus was way too big. It took me a couple of days to get used to the size and now everything seems like a toy in comparison :p I remember when the original iphone was huge lol

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

I have 6 and my wife has 6 Plus. Although I continue to believe that 6 is much easier to carry on my pants, I no longer think one handed use is that big of a deal. And I definitely get screen envy (and battery life) often. Having said that, unless Apple somehow chops of top and bottom bezels down significantly, I will continue to buy 4.7-inch iPhone form factor for myself.

14. DiggityBiggity, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

DiggityBiggity macrumors 6502

DiggityBiggity

I agree. For two weeks I've thought it was just too big. Now, it really does feel just right. I hope in the future they can reduce the bezels and keep the phone the same size. That way, we can get a 5.7" screen with the same dimensions.

I agree. Bendgate isn't a myth, it's a fact. It's Unibody construction made with thin aluminum... of COURSE it's going to bend if you put improper pressure on the thing. Apple, of course, says "you're doing it wrong"... in reality, they were short sighted on this. Is it a deal breaker for me? No... I use Otterbox to protect my phone anyway. If I went naked, I would probably consider Note 4 this time around. I'm not loyal to Apple, but I REALLY like the software environment and would hate to have to switch over to Android... It's really not for me.

Yes, yes and yes. 1,000 times over yes. Why no split screen?! I would LOVE to be able to be watching a YouTube video and composing an e-Mail or a Tapatalk reply. This seems short sighted and I have to imagine this will be released in future iOS versions.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. Delmar macrumors 6502

lmao !!!

17. somars macrumors newbie

blaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

18. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Id sign up for a 6" if it was available, most of my phone usage isn't as a phone but as my computer.

19. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I'm looking forward to the 6" nexus in the same size shell as my 6 plus (slightly bigger but thicker). I'd love a 6" iPhone in a shell that's only slightly larger.

20. JAT macrumors 603

Which sex doesn't have a butt?

21. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

For me, my 6+ is sort of at an awkward size for my hand. I either need the smaller 6 or I wish that the 6+ was a bit bigger so that I can hold it the way I want to hold it....I was even thinking that my Kindle Paperwhite would be the perfect size phone for a big phone....seriously, my Kindle Paperwhite feels GREAT as a phone if it were a phone...it fits in my pocket and feels comfortable when I hold it to my head....hoping for a Kindle iPhone 7! lol

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

And who doesn't like a bit of double-ententre? :)

23. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

quick question- have you tried to read a book on your 6+ via the kindle app & what is your take ? I sold my Kindle Paperwhite 2013 as i thought 6+ was sufficient to read on commute. I am not too keen on forking out on the more expensive Kindle Voyage .

I read on my Air 2 at home; still waiting for the 6+ to turn up though.

24. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Well yes, in fact, I have read a book on my 6+ using the Kindle app and I love it. It is so much better than reading on my previous iPhone 5. The 6+ "disappears" when I read just like when I read on my Kindle Paperwhite, not so with the 5. However, I have decided to keep my Paperwhite for when I read outside with the glare of the sun or if I am in situations where it would be too risky to use the more expensive 6+ like if I am sitting in a jacuzzi or something. And because I am keeping the Paperwhite for those reasons, I am probably still going to use the Paperwhite at home and use my 6+ when out and about as I do still prefer the Paperwhite over the 6+, but I will occasionally grab the 6+ at home too, which I never did with the 5.

25. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I like big buts and I cannot lie...