6 Plus Case I Can Dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by blairh, May 6, 2015.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hey everybody.

Shattered my iPhone screen today. :mad: I was using a great case from Monoprice that I love but it offers little to no drop protection.

I'd like to purchase a new case. It needs to be able to be docked though. I don't want to have to remove the case to use my dock. (I have two docks, bedroom and office.)

I was going to purchase the Speck CandyShell Grip just now but I'm reading it can't be used with docks.

I believe some iPhone cases have a feature where you can bend the bottom up for docks?

Ideally the thinner and lighter the better. (With protection for drops too.) Thanks.

2. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Only case I'm finding with a hinge for a dock is the STM Harbour case. Any others?

3. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

It would help to know what kind of dock you're using. For instance, I'm using an elago "dock" (really just a stand) and it has no problem with any cases.

4. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

IMO the problem isn't your case, it's your dock. If you don't mind spending the money (keep in mind it does NOT come with a cable, you supply your own) then the Twelve South HiRise is an awesome dock. It'll allow you to dock and charge w/ pretty much any case. I have it and it's great.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/hirise-iphone5-ipad-mini

5. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Problem is the dock indeed. Also, I personally would never let any dock dictate what case I could use. In fact, on my 6+, I have a custom made dock. I bought a cheap plastic hard shell case for it that itself came in a hard plastic box. I threw away the case, got my Dremel, and turned the plastic box into a holder that fits my case perfectly. I'm too used to QI wireless charging on my last phone to leave the lightning connector permanently attached to the dock, so I made a holder for it on the side of the dock. All day long the phone goes in and out of the holder, and come nighttime, I just detach the cable from the side and shove it up the bottom (the holder I made is attached to the side of a desk). Case compatibility, holder/charger mode, and all for the cost of a cheap plastic shell case

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Sorry guys but the problem isn't the dock. I spent $90 before tax on 3 30 pin to lighting adapters to continue using my 3 docks a few years ago. I'm not going to invest in new docks.

Unless someone has another suggestion of a 6 Plus case with a hinge, I'm just going to get the STM Harbour.

7. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

8. SDMaddie macrumors newbie

9. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Technically the issue is my docks. Yes. But given what I said, I think it's clear why I wouldn't invest in docks now.

That might be a great solution but I'm not paying $60 (3 of those adapters) so I can then buy the case I really want. I think I'm doing the right thing by just getting the STM Harbour and using it with my current setup.