6 Plus extremely slow

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ppdix, Oct 9, 2014.

1. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

#24 Today, 01:36 AM ( Report )
    ios 8has to be the worst upgrade ever.
    I have been using it for a few weeks on a 5s with horrible results.
    Performance issues, crashing apps, stuttering and delays.
    Even picking up a call takes an extra second or two.
    I regreted the switch and missed my jailbreak immediately.

Yesterday I received my new 6 plus 128GB.
    The performance is so bad it makes me think I am using an iPhone 3G.
    Scrolling through photos or music stutters so much that it's not enjoyable. Nothing feels fluid and smooth as it did on ios 7.
    Rotating a photo taken with the iPhone takes about 20 seconds!!
    The camera has a huge delay. Even pressing the shutter to take a picture has a delay.
    Overall performance is unacceptable for such a powerful phone... Or any phone for that matter.
    It makes the experience the worst one in a long time.
    Ios 8 is not ready. The rushed to release it but it feels like it's still a beta.
    To top it off, Apple stopped signing ios 7, so if u are lucky not to be on an iPhone 6 u still can't downgrade...
    I am screwed since the 6 plus can't even use 7.
    Same goes for Mac OS Yosemite.
    I've been using it for a while now and it's in golden master status and it is definitely not ready for release next week when it is clearly not ready and willing become another ios 8 disappointment...

2. Saif23 macrumors regular

My solution would be wait till thursday when Apple releases iOS 8.1 to the public. Might fix all your problems

3. hrrslmpk macrumors member

My 6 is actually faster than my 5S. Try restoring via iTunes and see if that helps.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

6 plus extremely slow

Do a complete wipe and a clean restore (not from backup)? I own the 6 and have a few 6 plus's the family, we're not experiencing any of the issues mentioned.

5. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Did u setup as new or restored from a backup?

6. airlied macrumors regular

airlied

I still believe that apple needs 1 more month of beta stage before launching ios 8.0. They really had to because iPhone 6 and plus released they had to put a beta system in the phone. Just give apple sometime and see if it is gonna be better or not.

7. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I set up my 6 Plus as new and haven't experienced any of the issues you mentioned. My 6 Plus has been lightning fast :apple:

8. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

The 6PLUS is absolutely fast, do you have a lot of stuff on your phone such as gigs and gigs worth of music and phones and apps? If so, then that could be the cause of the lags. I'd do a back up and do a restore and then only add stuff that you need back to the phone. If there are huge files on the phone then that could be the cause maybe (especially if you have several)

Hope that helps and good luck and let us know how you go.

9. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

i hope so. I'm very frustrated...

----------

i did a setup as new iphone and then restore from backup from the old 5s.
    Even my albums are messed up. I have photos in albums where they don' t belong. it's a mess.

10. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Do a complete reinstall via iTunes. It'll be fast afterwards. No restore, just clean slate.

11. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

i did a setup as new iphone and then restore from backup from the old 5s.
    Even my albums are messed up. I have photos in albums where they don' t belong. it's a mess.
    Scrolling is almost impossible. It gets stuck and stutters so bad it's hard to operate.
    the camera takes about 10 seconds to open. Once you are in it, zooming is not possible for a few more seconds.
    Everything is in slow motion. Feels like an android... :mad:

----------

I didn't buy a 128GB phone not to fill it up with lots of stuff. I am a photographer. I have 28,000 photos on the phone. 11 years worth of work. i have about 1500 songs and 30 videos and 115 apps.
    I had my 5s (64GB) almost full most of the time and sometimes I even ran out of memory but it never slowed down or stuttered. This is ridiculous.

----------

should I do a restore as a new iphone? and re download the iOS?

----------

i have to mention. I was listening to Ma Baker, the Milli Vanilli cover of the original Boney M song , just 2 days ago. Great song about a crazy woman :p

12. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Restoring from a backup can potentially transfer over any issues that were present, so I would suggest setting it up as a new iPhone and using it for a bit without restoring your backup. If you still have problems, definitely try to get it exchanged.

14. yungplayz macrumors newbie

AFAIK, iPhones 6 and 6+ have equal processors, but different display definition (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Thus, it takes more calculating power to process an image to display on iPhone 6+, than on iPhone 6. Given the processors are equal, the amount of calculating power spent for drawing the same thing on 6+'s display will be comparatively larger than the same amount for 6.
    Still, 20+ seconds for a rotation is outstandingly much

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

By restoring from backup you may have introduced corruption that was present after the upgrade on the 5s.

Setting up a phone as new means you don't restore from backup at all.

16. fiveoh macrumors newbie

If you setup as new and dont restore from backup, how do you get your contacts, apps, etc on to the new phone?

17. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

iCloud or iTunes

18. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

iCloud.

19. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The backup probably has some sort of issue because of the jailbreak.

20. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Sorry but wrong. The 6+ is clocked higher and just because it's a higher res does not mean that things will take longer to happen on the +.

21. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The fact someone restored a newer generation iPhone with an older generation backup, that was once jail broken, and complains of slowness it's nothing short of blatant ignorance.

Restore the phone completely, do not restore from any sort of backup. Resetup all your apps and settings, and see how it goes. If it's slow at that point then something is wrong with the phone. Return it. Then start over.

The end.

22. MecPro macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think this is definitely your device playing up

Don't blame Apple on this one

Even my 6 Plus is running beautifully with a restore from backup

23. flux73 macrumors 65816

Two things to try: 1) turn off Spotlight on everything, 2) restart your Phone, by turning it off and then back on.

Try that and see if it improves anything at all. If it does improve, then turn Spotlight back on only for the things you would actually search for.

The new Spotlight indexes FAR more info than in iOS7. I'm wondering if the indexing goes on in the background for much longer than people realize and is causing the system slowdowns. I experienced some for the first week I had my iPhone 6. Then it went away and I think it was right around the time, I started narrowing down the categories that Spotlight should index.

24. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Its probably your jailbreak that caused the issue.

25. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

I went to a demo unit in a shop for a 6+.
    Closed all apps and did a hard reset.

Animations on the phone are jerking like crazy compared to the 6.