6 plus first impressions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattXDA, Sep 19, 2014.

1. MattXDA, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

Got the gold 6 plus. Bands hardly there, the gold looks really subtle and nice.
    Please read my latest post on the next page

2. Djentleman macrumors 6502

Djentleman

Feels amazing, looks magnificent, but I think the OS is what's keeping it back a little. Apple have some work to do to get it truly optimised and efficient. but so far its fricken fast and beautiful at what it does. The size is a bit WOW but its nothing I can't get used to quickly. I'm gonna have a harder time getting used to that sleep/wake...

3. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I think the sleep/wake button is something most aren't thinking about that is actually going to be a pain in the @$$ to get used to

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

^
    Curious do you think it would be less of a hassle to reach all the way to the top of the device to hit the sleep wake button if it were there?

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I really like it. It feels better in my pocket than the 5S due to being a little thinner. The camera is stunning, and it's perfectly possibly to type one handed (and I'm 5'9 so no giant).

The sleep button will take some getting used to, but it's actually positioned perfectly where my fingers sit.

6. MattXDA thread starter macrumors 6502

MattXDA

Anyone have Control Center lag, even the brightness slider? :confused:
    So annoying

7. Djentleman macrumors 6502

Djentleman

Where they've placed it is perfect considering the size increases. It's at optimal reaching point IMO.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I am actually quite concerned about the stuttering thing. My iPad Air certainly does it, and the Plus pushes around nearly as many pixels.

Does it seem system wide?

8 hours before I decide if I'm getting one...

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

11. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

I'm willing to bet that the stuttering issue goes away with the next software update

12. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I wonder why your iPad Air does it. Mine does not.

13. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I think it's in a great spot now but out of habit constantly going for the top will be annoying

14. MattXDA thread starter macrumors 6502

MattXDA

Its entirely random to be honest, sometimes leaving an app lags, sometimes it doesn't. Its not a huge lag but it happens. Also, control center lags all around, and pulling down on a Messages notification to quick reply seems to lag

15. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

So when you activate Siri, and when you go from portrait to landscape in messages with the keyboard open, and other such tasks, it runs at a smooth 60 fps? I think it's just you haven't looked/noticed yet, because those things are very real.

16. AFDoc macrumors 68030

LOL didn't say I didn't want to hear about them..... Just LMAO at them. Thanks for your input though.

----------

I was wondering how long it would take me to stop reaching up.... As the phone's so much bigger I'd hope not long but in my job I'm constantly writing the date and it takes a few days at the beginning of the month for me to actually get on the right month.

17. itjw macrumors 65816

My friends Plus stutters and lags. The 5S feels silky smooth in comparison. Can't wait to see my 6 :).

Looks like downscaling IS a bad thing after all... Whod've guessed??? (Me). Lol

18. Pewpewpew macrumors member

First impressions, wow what a phone! Beautifully crafted, perfect size, screen is gorgeous!!

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm pretty sure they will do some work on it, but it is nonetheless concerning for it to come out of the box like that. Not exactly that great first impression that Apple likes their products to make on people.

Having said that, I haven't seen it yet, mine doesn't get here for another 5-15 hours. People have different thresholds of what bothers them, but I have a pretty low tolerance for any kind of lag or stutter so I will probably be annoyed.

----------

I doubt it's the downscaling (this should be done by the GPU very efficiently), more likely just the fact that it's rendering ~1.7X as many pixels with the same hardware as the iPhone 6. Could be the downscaling though. Where is that Anandtech review?

20. itjw macrumors 65816

It's because it's rendering 1.7 x as many pixels, then gimping it down to 1080p from native.

Yes, downscaling IS the problem. Soon to be confirmed.

He's trying to sell his quickly. 128GB ATT Plus in Gray. Looking for 2K evidently.

Hopefully he'll dump it before vibrategate and downscalegate take hold

Plus wasn't ready for prime time :-(

21. MattXDA thread starter macrumors 6502

MattXDA

After 2 hours of use, I would like to weirdly report that it isn't lagging anymore... I don't know if I've just got used to it, or things have cached, or what. But its silky smooth.

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Spotlight finished indexing probably.... happens a lot on new/restored devices.

23. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

6 plus first impressions

I think this is related to iOS 8. Ever since I updated my 5S yesterday I started to have these issues. Don't worry. An update will fix issues like these easily.

24. anaisamy macrumors newbie

Same here. I think this is an iOS 8 issue, too - experiencing it on my 5S. Battery life is also worse.