6 plus - it's not a phone, it's an iPad nano

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Booji, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Since getting my 6 plus, it has taken on so many of the use cases that I previously reserved for the iPad - particularly consumption of media like my favorite app Flipboard.

I travel a lot and found that I used to carry my iPhone 5 and my smaller tablet (Nexus 7 2013) for using maps and local guides. Now, just the 6 plus works perfect and its still small enough to fit in my pocket so I don't have to carry a backpack just for the tablet.

I've also found that the 6 plus screen is just big enough to do some content creation and editing. The excellent integration of Dropbox into Office of iOS has makes it practical to edit work on the fly.

So, the extra size of the 6 plus is actually not a constraint but allows me to carry less stuff when I travel.

I was originally not a believer of the larger form factor but I thought I'd give it a try. Now I'm a believer!

2. LunchMercenary macrumors newbie

LunchMercenary

I like the plus but I'm gonna consider it a larger iPhone until I can play the Simpsons arcade on it

3. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I know what you mean. I used to carry my rMini all the time. Now my 6 Plus is my around town option. My pocket iPad.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I can understand those with an iPad Mini decided to trash their tablet after getting a 6+.

For me, I use an iPad Air, and I still use it over my iPhone 6+ though. I would also still use my Mini (although perhaps not as often) because apps that are iPad-optimized display more stuff than the iPhone variants of the apps. Take NYTimes for instance. Or Flipboard. Even on a Mini, it displays far more than the iPhone variant of the app.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Op,
    I agree with all that you have to say. I have no need for my iPad any longer. I do hope that devs decide to give the iPad features at least to the 6 plus. Plenty of apps, especially news apps would do phenomenally with iPad layout.

6. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

I guess the 6 plus optimized apps are what really make it the best large phone.

It did not take developers long to get optimized apps out. Yes, many are not but so far the simplicity of the iOS ecosystem has made the response satisfyingly quick.

When I used a non-optimized app, its really clear to see there is little advantage of a large screen unless the app can take advantage of it. This is the main reason I chose to avoid the Note 4.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If it were it iPad Nano it would have the correct aspect ratio.

8. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

That's a good point, but I was thinking from a personal use-case perspective and not a hardware perspective.