6 plus on account for 2 weeks and AT&T denied 5S unlocking request

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slicktype, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Prior to buying my 6 plus retail, I called AT&T and asked if my 5S would be unlocked after adding the plus to my 2 year contract (contract is up September of 2015). I was told that I would need to wait 15 days from when the new phone is activated.
    It now has been over 2 weeks and I'm still getting denied.
    Any suggestions?
    Do I have to personally tell them that I now have an iPhone 6+ on my contract and not my 5S ?

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Have you called them in the last few days?

3. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

You didn't have the 5s for 2 years. I was told by AT&T, until that actual phone is under contract for 2 years, you can't unlock it. I think yo will end up with conflicting answers from AT&T, and might luck out and get someone to unlock it, but it is my understanding they will never unlock it because that actual phone was never fully paid for.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only fully paid for phones will be unlocked and as JT2002TJ pointed out that means 2 years for you since you paid for the phone by subsidy.

5. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

They will not unlock it because you haven't actually fulfilled the contract yet.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If I buy a phone on one line and use an early upgrade (on that same line), the previous phone is no longer under contract.

I am unclear if this is what the OP actually did (used the same line), but that is how it should work. I did this exact thing and didn't have issues. The reason there is a two week waiting period is that they don't want you to just be able to return the previous device.

7. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

If you they offer you an early upgrade (it wont be a year early, since the OP is talking about a 5s) they will unlock it (this is like a month or two). If you switch to a Next, without fulfilling the contract, you haven't paid off the phone yet, so they wont. At least that is how I understand it.

You have to have 2 years on a phone (even if you move it to another line) before they will unlock it. Options are to keep it going with a different number.

Basically, there are 2 deals. You have a contract on your phone line AND you have a agreement to unlock your subsidized phone after 2 years of use (actual use). You can throw out your subsidized phone on day 2 of the contract and get a new full priced phone if you want. But they will not unlock that phone until you have had 2 years of paid use on it.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Lots of bad information in this thread. at&t will unlock the offed device after you've waited out the 14-day return period even if you're in the middle of a contract. If you're getting denied after 14 days, something is wrong from their end and I'd suggest escalating the issue.

9. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

As I said, you might get someone to do it, but that is not their policy. Unless you have paid for the phone they do not unlock (unless you have a business account).

Because people do it after escalation does not change the policy.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Upgrading counts as "paying the old phone off" to AT&T

Edit: Never mind, I just saw he paid retail for the new phone. The 5S won't be eligible to unlock until the contract is up

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wrong. If you do a device swap, it is their policy to unlock the offed device after 14 days, the return period of the new iPhone.

12. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Not if you move to next... I know a few buddies who moved to next with their 5s' and got screwed. The OP has a 5s, so the only way they upgraded was with Next (unless I'm missing something). There is no policy I am aware of that will guarantee they unlock it.

----------

If you go out and buy a new phone at retail, this does not count as fulfilling your requirement. If you have next and you turn in the phone, you wont have it to unlock it. If you have next and pay off the phone, then Yes... you have fulfilled the requirement.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, if you buy at retail or device swap a new iPhone from a different line, the contract is still in effect except the new iPhone has replaced the offed device so they will unlock the offed device after 14 days. You still have to honor the rest of the contract but they will unlock the old device.

14. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Again... They might have done this, but this is not policy... You have to have that phone on a working line for the full two years.

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If your contract isn't either fulfilled or extended, they don't unlock the old device.

16. nox5 macrumors 6502

OP is confusing everyone. OP did not upgrade, he just bought iPhone 6 and 5s is still under contract.

17. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

I got a 5S under contract last year. This year I upgraded to a 6 via Next, and requested an unlock for the 5S from AT&T. I did not have to wait 14 days. The unlock request was approved the day after I placed the order for the 6. Maybe I was just lucky?

18. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I read it as buying a 6 at full price and adding (should have said connecting) to his mid 2 year contract phone line...

So, AT&T may unlock it if he begs, but they do not have to. The 5s was bought at a discounted price, and has not been active for 2 years (5s came out last year, so it is physically impossible).

----------

Yes. They do not have to. They did it to encourage next sales. You never paid off your 5s. They could have simply said no.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Read the bold part in at&t's policy:

E.g., you upgrade a different line in a family plan (thereby renewing that contract) and device swap the new device to a line in the middle of the contract. They will unlock the offed device after 14 days. So, no, you don't necessarily need to have it on that line for two full years nor be required to fulfill or extend the contract of that line.

20. Tinmania, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014

Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Maybe lucky by a week or two, but that is about it. That is how it works.

A&T is in a better position than they were before you got your iPhone 6... of course they will unlock the 5S. You still have to pay an ETF if you cancelled the line before your contract period is up, so the 5S is covered there (the ETF is less every month). Bonus for AT&T you now have a new phone and paying for it over another 18 months (or whatever your Next term is). Chances are you are sticking around.

Win. Win.

Michael

21. ssl0408, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014

ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you're right, but I sold the 5S and will use that to pay off the 6.

22. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

AFAIK and if I understand correctly, when you switch to the AT&T Next, your 2 your contract does end and you are no longer in a 2 year contract and you would be on AT&T Next, so AT&T should be able to unlock the 5S.

I had a 2 year contract when I purchased the Galaxy S4 (September 2013). When I switched to Next when purchasing an Galaxy S5 (April 2014), the rep told me that my 2 year contract is now ended because I upgrade to the AT&T Next. *Note that at the time I switched to Next. It wasn't even a year.

So yea once again, if you switch to Next then you are no longer in a 2 year contract. (Unless AT&T changed that policy).

Looks like OP purchased it full price. So yes, your 5S is still under contract.

23. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Countless ways to unlock that phone without att

24. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

There are two different things. The contract for your phone line, and your commitment to pay back the supplemented cost for your phone (so that you can unlock it). Switching to the next does void your line contract and put you under a new next contract. This does not guarantee that they will unlock your phone.

25. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Correct