6 Plus or 6S Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaybar, Sep 20, 2015.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

I currently have the 6 and plan to try the Plus, due to vision issues. I suspect I can benefit from the larger screen.

I use the phone for calls, emails, messaging and Internet surfing. I take the occasional photo. I have about a 2000 song library in the cloud. We have about 400 photos in iCloud. I watch YouTube videos infrequently. I am not sure how frequently I will upgrade. I have tended to keep my phone for 2 years or slightly longer. I might even consider longer ownership. I am unsure.

I don't game or watch movies.

Would the S version of the plus,make more sense? Would the non-S version be sufficient.

Thanks in advance

Jay

2. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

The non-S version is still a great phone and would likely be more than adequate for now. But seeing as you aren't planning to upgrade for multiple years I would look forward and go with the 6S plus. The regular 6+ is already a year old and will show its age more over the next couple years. The processor and speed improvements on the S model will be nice a year+ from now.

3. ultravisitor, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Whenever someone plans on holding onto a phone for longer than two years, I always recommend that they buy the newest tech possible. The tech will really begin to reveal its age after two years. Last year's iPhone will already seem particularly dated given the new 3D Touch that I'm sure will become more important over time.

Honestly, I don't see the point in buying old tech at all, especially given the speed at which mobile tech is improving.

4. CEmajr, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

CEmajr macrumors 601

Get the 6S Plus. The 6 Plus already struggled with performance even when it was new so I wouldn't count on it for 2 more years.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I just went from a 5c to a 6+ ... very happy, and I know this phone will do exactly what it does today, 2-3 years from now.
    The new 3D touch is almost like a whole new way to use a phone ... this 128gb 6+ will do me just fine for the next few years.

The screen is the exact same as the new 6s+

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You mentioned eyesight. The plus doesn't do anything bigger than that standard 6, there's just more information on the screen. If that is your only reason going with the plus, why no just go with the 6s (will cost the same as theb6 plus) and get the newest hardware?

7. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You can actually make everything on the 6 Plus, so it's showing the exact same content as the regular 6 would show. Additionally, on nearly all iPhones, you can increase text size system-wide.

8. Granny_Smith macrumors member

Granny_Smith

Same here. Debated which to go with on the last 6 release. Going for 6s+ this time around.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Right. I guess I'm just saying that, by default, the phone is set up in a way that the 6 plus shows more content than the 6. This sinking easily notable in a web page with text. One canceasilynchsnge sizes on both devices, so again, the 6 plus doesn't have any strict benefit in terms of eyesight except that it can dies play slightly more information on the screen before one might need to scroll.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you're gonna upgrade might as well go for the 6S+

11. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

6S plus.. always get the greatest if and when you can.

12. EldonChew macrumors regular

Where are you getting this?
    The 6s Plus should be the one that struggles(if any) with performance since it has to push more pixels than the 6s.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you've got the funds, get the (S) for two reasons:
    • Double the RAM & processor speed
    • You mentioned you want to keep it for 2+ years, so getting the newest device would ensure that it'll be running smoothly and without issue for as long as possible.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

I meant to say the 6 Plus struggled out of the box. Typo.

15. sleek881, Sep 21, 2015

sleek881 macrumors regular

sleek881

The 6S Plus has the same amount of pixels as the 6, but the 6S Plus has a faster processor and supposedly 2 GB RAM. So I think I would bank on the 6S Plus being the faster of the two.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The resolution on the plus is much better than the 6....

401ppi vs 326ppi

17. EldonChew macrumors regular

The 6s Plus has 2,073,600 pixels(or rather 2,742,336 down-sampled) compared to the 6s' 1,000,500 pixels to push.
    The 6s and 6s Plus has the same processor and RAM.

18. willmtaylor, Sep 21, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

"Much better" is in the eye of the beholder. :)

19. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Bravo sir :)

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Since you plan on keeping it for awhile, get the newest model, 6s plus.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's fine. In just pointing out that looking at text and such looks the same based on how everything is rendered. Nothing is bigger or smaller until you make it so. In your opinion. Is text easier to read on the plus? My opinion? Not at all. I think we've absolutely reached a point where continuing to bump ppi isn't relevant.