All iPads 6 Plus or Air 2 for my next iPad upgrade

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Dec 21, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

What do you guys think? I have an iPad mini. I was going to upgrade to an iPad Air 2 later next year (obviously this is kinda just speculation). But what if I got the iPhone 6 Plus instead???

I just got the iPhone 5s because I don't like the iPhone 6's size. I don't find myself wanting more screen on my iPhone. I am simply thinking of the convenience of having just one device.
    The 6 Plus is kinda like a different device than the 6. It is almost IMO a tablet replacement device, like a tablet portable enough to carry around with you anywhere, you still large enough to be immersive. If i think of it this way, I dont think id mind carrying around a bigger iPhone, if i think of it like being a smaller iPad. So when I go to upgrade my iPad, should I get the 6 Plus or Air 2???

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I tried to do exactly what you want. If the 6 feels big to you, and you went back to the 5s you will not like the 6+. It sounds good in theory, but if you like a smaller phone you just like a smaller phone. The 6+ requires you to rethink how you do certain things.

You can always try it and see, but generally the people who like smaller phones stay with smaller phones and a tablet.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I actually never owned the 6. Tried it in store and didn't like how it was uncomfortable to reach the upper left hand corner with one hand. And overall I just like the 5s, it's design is awesome.

----------

I guess I'll go for the Air 2 and hope that Apple makes another 4 inch phone in the coming years!

4. Alpine301 macrumors newbie

Use all three

I have the Air 2, Mini3 and just dumped my Android phone for the 6+. I work in Telcom and use all 3 devices. I would love one device does all but can't.

iPad air - VPN to remote servers and local to server console port and all my PDFS (technical)

Mini - kindle app, nook app for reading, sometime games on the plane/train.

iPhone 6+ - telephone, iPod, calendar, contacts, boarding pass, etc

5. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I love my 6 plus but it doesn't replace an iPad. Ill always prefer the iPad at home.

6. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Exactly. I have both a 6 plus and just got myself an Air 2 for Xmas and both have their unique use cases. I thought I could get away without for a few when my iPad 2 was destroyed but when I picked up the new Air I knew I needed another one.

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I got the 6 Plus on launch day and it killed my usage of my iPad mini. I finally got rid of the iPad mini Retina (I gave it to a relative in exchange for their original mini and sold that) when I turned it on it and found out it had been in standby for a week with 30 mins of usage.

When I got rid of it I missed having an iPad. Not my but an iPad. I thought back to my iPad 1 & 2 days and thought it would be great to have a 9.7" iPad. I bought the Air 2 at Black Friday for $100 off and I love it. Both my iPhone and iPad see usage through out the day, both about even.

iPad: videos, gaming, web browsing, typing up long posts like this
    iPhone: videos, web browsing, phone calls, messaging

8. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I use my 6 plus and iPad air 2 everyday, the screen size difference is still huge

9. Jglnaz macrumors newbie

I am in the same situation as you. I bought my first new cellphone after 3 years and chose the 6 plus. Was hoping it would allow me to keep my iPad at home, which it does. But being older with ok eye sight, the iPad still is #1 as far as time used. I am also getting an Air 2 for Christmas and it is replacing my Air that is going to a Relative.

10. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I see. I think the 6 Plus is great for letting people leave their iPad at home; but at home, nothing beats that 9.7 inch screen (or perhaps the 12 inch screen of the rumored iPad Air Plus)

11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I've decided to go for the iPad Air 3 around when it should be released in October of 2015. The 9.7 inch screen will be awesome, and I definitely don't want to give up the super comfortable 5s size.

12. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

If you do a lot of typing, I think you'd be way happier with an iPad. The option of sticking my iPad Air 2 into my Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard and using my iPad almost like a laptop is the thing that sold me on the Air 2.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Test it out a d take what feels better for you.
    It's a very personal decision that noone can really advise you on.