6 plus size is perfect. If I don't put a case on it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bunger, Sep 23, 2014.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I have been trying out a couple of minimalist cases for my 6 plus and was beginning to think the phone was just a tad too big for me. Then I took the case off and without it, the phone is the perfect size.

I have also had my minimal cases, not so much for impact protection but more for scratches, etc.

Given that 6 series has a protruding camera, that's another factor that leans me toward a case. But... I haven't found a case that keeps the width to near original specs.

Has anyone else encountered this size finding and what did you do?

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

3. MrOlsen macrumors newbie

Exactly the same situation here! Even though some of the cases out there are very thin it just makes a huge difference not having one on!

4. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

People drop and break their phones in cases and people have dropped and not broken their phones without cases. If you are that worried then just buy AppleCare+ and use your phone as you please. Youll have peace of mind knowing if you do drop and break the phone you can get a replacement for relatively cheap.

5. pete480 macrumors member

pete480

The thinnest case I've found so far is from desmay. .35mm.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Not using a case. Keeping it naked.

A recent thread on here a few days ago showed a guy who dropped his 6+ with the authentic Apple case on it. It completely cracked the screen. The case was useless.

7. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I actually think the opposite. I just feel less anxious about dropping the phone with a decent case. The phone feels less fragile.

8. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I cant agree more! I bought what I though was a Insignia soft shell case from best buy, it was good for the money but added too much bulk and it was a slim case to boot. So I ordered the Spigen Air Skin, clear for 11.99 off amazon and I am eagerly awaiting it :) love this phone naked, but I need a little protection and the .4 mm sounds perfect
    http://www.spigen.com/iphone-6-plus-case-air-skin.html

9. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Wait for Caudabe to come out with their case, they had the thinnest iPhone 5/5s cases at 0.4mm.

10. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

I'm using the spigen clear tpu case. It doesn't hide the beauty of the plus and keeps me from scratching up the back. Added bonus is that it's super thin.

11. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Any issues with the protruding camera and being naked tho?

12. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

I'm not using the Apple leather case to stop my screen from cracking, rather from my phone being scratched. It's a compromise between a super-bulky case and going naked.

13. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

There shouldn't be. It's sapphire. It's like the sapphire covering a high end watch. Takes a great amount of effort to scratch on of those.

14. Ian0nline macrumors newbie

I thought my 6 plus was just a tad too wide initially. This was after I had first unboxed it and put on the new Apple leather case. After a few hours I decided to see how the feel was for the phone with the case off. What an improvement it was handling this phone with no case on. So I'm in the same situation.

I'm haven't had the guts to keep the case off.
    I have always used the Apple cases on all my iPhones.
    I have never dropped any of my phones, and always get AppleCare.
    The only reason Im nervous about a naked iPhone is the aluminum back.
    I have the space grey version and I do not know how it would hold up.
    I also always sell my previous generation and I list them as mint.

Does anyone have any experience with owning a grey 5S who got top dollar for it and did not use a case? I'm so on the fence about this...

15. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I used mind over the weekend without a case, and I thought it felt a tad bit slippery. Granted I was using the phone with one hand, which put everything pretty much on edge. I ended up grabbing an Apple Case for it this evening and I am not mad at how it feels. I will keep it for the long haul.

16. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

Tried a case with my 6 Plus for a day, and took it off. Never looked back.

Soooo much nicer to use (not only can you appreciate the aesthetics of the phone better, but the FEEL of it in your hands holding it the way it was meant to be held. Much slimmer, much lighter, less wide, softer in your hands.)

For me it's manageable ONLY without the case.

Of note: I did call Apple and buy AppleCare ASAP when I decided to go case less. If I'm not protecting it literally with a case, in going to protect it with AppleCare!

17. Sith Vol macrumors 6502

This is the first time that I've owned an iPhone where I won't use a case. The design is beautiful and it feels great in the hands. AC+ and a screen protector for me.

18. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I can foresee your future:

[​IMG]

19. iregret macrumors 6502a

Haven't you heard? These things will just bend themselves if you take your eyes off of them for one second.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Some people (and reviewers) have said the bare metal is slippery. What's your take? I don't agree with that at all... having been fondling my new iPhone 6 all day long.

21. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I never had an issue with this. I've been using my 6+ non-stop since Friday, and I haven't felt it was slippery.

Having said this, I let a friend of mine play with the phone, and he (TWICE) almost dropped it while handling it. Needless to say I yanked it from his hands and forever banned him from it's use.

22. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I just use a transparent skin on the back, and don't bother with the case. Skin protects the metal from small scratches when setting the phone down on hard surfaces, while adding zero bulk. Good enough for me.

23. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

I agree with this completely, I had a case, and I took it off and added a screen protector instead, I enjoy it way more.

24. iWaldo macrumors member

I know exactly what you mean. I played with both a bit today and I love the 6+. It really is perfectly sized. But I do a lot of fieldwork necessitating a tough case, and I know if I put an Otterbox Defender or whatever on a 6+ it would go from perfect to ridiculously huge.

Decisions, decisions...

25. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Haha, I haven't let my housemate touch it or even leave the house. All Apple Stores near me are sold out of Apple's iPhone 6 case in both leather or silicone and all colors. I was afraid of him dropping it by accident or something. Or pretending to drop it just to see my reaction.