6 Plus Vs 4K Galaxy S5 Camera Test (Video)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 19, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Frankly I was blown away by the 4K camera Samsung has been putting on their phones. So it's encouraging to see that iPhone 6 + beats the S5's performance in most cases, although the S5 fared better in lower light.

http://youtu.be/rNAHv-E1HWU

2. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

In this video the iPhone 6 only best the galaxy s5 in the front facing camera. The galaxy obviously beat the iPhone in the rear facing camera. I hate that too. He said the galaxy s5 has a 12mp camera.

3. hondaciv macrumors newbie

Terrific video!

The only thing that I was really shocked with was the audio quality. The iPhone mic is horrible compared to the GS5

4. Minarets macrumors 6502

The audio is way better in the galaxy, sadly.

5. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

The S5 photos are largely just boosted saturation and contrast. I'm not sure they're actually any better. It's like the beats headphones. If you ship them EQ'd up to enhance pop songs they'll be the best thing in the world to untrained ears. Nothing wrong with all of that but comparing these two is sort of subjective I think.

6. Pochi Hanaki macrumors regular

That audio was tons better. I was surprised at that.

7. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

The audio quality... Something is up with that maybe canceling out his voice?

Needs a software update no way the mic is that bad..

8. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Wrong, the 6\6 plus images of the pink flower vses the S5 is alot better then the S5 picture. Look @ 8:25, the iPhone focus and sharpness of everything is ridiculous, everything around the flower on the S5 is blurry, also the 6 camera colors seem more natural real to life then the S5, how can you say the S5 camera is better lol the iPhone wins in almost every single photo comparison

As for the audio, I believe iPhone records audio in mono, not stereo I believe, which I dont understand why, playing sound off a phone wont be a percetible difference but playing videos on TV's etc could show a difference

9. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

iPhone 6 has mono audio, while the s5 has stereo.

10. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Yep, it should have stereo audio, but playing from a mono speaker off smartphones, its not really a perceptible difference , if your playing videos on something else you will tell the difference in audio

11. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I'm wondering if the recorded audio difference is due to mic location? Where is the S5 mic? Since the mic is on opposite side on the iPhone from him, that muffles the sound slightly.

12. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Front facing camera picture was much much better on iPhone 6. Video (outdoor) was a bit better on iPhone 6 (focus was slightly faster). It's hard to judge the color accuracy in those videos without knowing what the true colors really are. Indoors, auto focus speed was close, maybe a bit faster on iPhone 6 on averege. The galaxy s5 seemed to be a bit brighter indoors.

Outdoor pictures... iPhone 6 wins (you can crop more on s5 though)
    Indoor pictures ... iPhone 6 wins as well (colors seemed more natural, although again, hard to say without actually seeing the real deal. Extreme low light was sharper on 6).
    Flash picture... a bit more contrast on s5 picture, but sharper image on iPhone 6. Also, picturing anything else with a flash will be better on iPhone 6, in term of color accuracy.

Sound... much better on s5

PS

I wonder if the iPhone 6 low light video could be a bit brighter though. iPhone 5s seemed to be noticeably dimmer in low light video recording compared to iPhone 5 (I have no idea why that was, because everything is better on 5s camera:confused::confused:).

13. sumsingwong, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Most of his comparison videos have the iPhones mic sound bad. Other video comparisons on youtube have the mic sound good. He must cover the mic on his comparisons.

The audio is loud and clear in this video test.

The OIS makes it seem the iPhone is using a steadicam rig when he's walking with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpm_Z9oY40g

14. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-techn...5-photo-shootout-why-megapixels-mean-nothing/

Just look at this comparison...

iPhone 6 destroys galaxy s5 in every picture, especially low light.:p

And day pictures on galaxy s5 look waaaaay too over saturated (bordering fugly to be honest).

iPhone 6 (especially 6 Plus) takes better pictures than galaxy s5, takes better selfies as well. Better video also (faster focus, more natural colors. The s5 gets 4k though, so that's a small plus for it). Flash photos will look better on iPhone 6.

Galaxy s5 gets a big plus for audio quality though, much better than on iPhone 6. :p

----------

It does sound much better here:p

Probably covered the mic with his hand:D

15. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Do any of you new iPhone 6 owners want to test their own audio quality to that of the S5 video to make sure this video isn't unintentionally biased?

16. Cassadian macrumors regular

iPhone 6 has active noise cancellation. If you noticed when he's outdoors there is no background noise with the iPhone. You can turn it off in settings.