6 seconds wake from sleep - normal?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidjearly, Nov 15, 2015.

1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Brand new iMac 5k, 27", 3.2 GHz i5, 2TB Fusion.

Is it normal for it to take this long to wake from sleep?

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

seems a little long, mine takes about 3 seconds to login screen after i hit the keyboard

3. double329 macrumors 6502

I think the wake up time vary depending on how many runnng apps before it went to sleep. I noticed my varied although I didn't pay that much attention to it.

4. Serban Suspended

5. azure247 macrumors 6502

I have the 2 tb fusion too and it wakes from sleep in 1 second

6. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

6 seconds pretty common when asleep fully on mine with same config/except size of HDD. The bluetooth keyboard and trackpad take time to start and wake up the mac. With a wired keyboard the wake up is instant.

7. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

From what I read, it's actually not the size of the disk - it's how much RAM you have and how many programs are open. Macs do that suspend to RAM thing, and I'm really not sure how it all works, but if you have a lot of apps open and let the Mac sleep for a while, it can take longer to wake up.

Both my iMac and MacBook wake up from 1 second to 6-7 seconds and I can never tell for sure what the reason is. Sometimes it's almost instantaneous, sometimes it takes a while.

Here's what I found from the MacRumors guide (http://guides.macrumors.com/Your_Mac_and_Sleep_Mode):

"One final consideration is that sleep mode saves ALL data in RAM, whether it is good or bad. Often times when an application is quit, it will leave things behind in memory. This extra "RAM waste" will be persist and will continue to accumulate from other applications and such until the system is fully rebooted. Computers which run many applications may experience decreased system stability or speed the longer the system goes from its last shut down or restart. Therefore, a normal user may wish to consider fully shutting down or rebooting the system at least once every couple weeks to ensure optimal reliability and operating speed."

8. Tec972 macrumors member

I pretty much have the same computer as you, but I have the the highest (non BTO machine) with the 3.3 i5, and 395 GPU and I have added another 16GB of RAM. So I am running twice as much ram as my old machine, and I have next to nothing loaded on this new 5k yet. This machine is essentially empty. So my RAM actually is very close to the entire space used on my drive right now.

Believe it or not, this was one of the very first things I noticed about this new machine. I am coming from a Mid 2010 iMac that I didn't upgrade past OS X Mavericks. (Hate the new look of OS X. A complete step in the wrong direction in the age of more powerful hardware and much better graphical design tools. Let's make it look uglier and boring when everything else in graphical design now is gorgeous. But that's another discussion!!)

My old iMac wakes instantly, as soon as I touch the keyboard my login pops up. Not this one. It takes around 3-5 seconds for my screen to come on. You can actually start typing your login password if you use one before the screen comes on. Maybe because the of the retina display, it may take a little longer to power up or more software/hardware checks have to take place in the background could be a possible reason?? Other than that, I have no answer for you why, aside from the fact I feel the newer OS's are not that good. Ever since Jobs is no longer at the helm I just feel that all the really little things that matter are not being addressed well any more. I'm sure the people at Apple are not nearly being pushed like Steve Jobs pushed them. Hence the reason I do not care as much for IOS or OS X as much. IOS 9 is horrible I think. My iPhone 6 plus runs like crap on it.

9. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Seriously, this again? I thought we were done with the "This wouldn't happen in Jobs time". First of all, Macs and iPhones were full of bugs and glitches during Steve Jobs, people just tend to forget. Second, you can't possibly believe that this wake up time has anything to do with Jobs not being around. Third, most of the time, my iMac 5K wakes up instantly. Fourth, a lot of us really prefer the new OSes to the old ones.

I think it's the same Apple as it was during Steve. A few bugs, a few issues, an incredible amount of things that are great. In fact, if I had to choose, I prefer the "new" Apple, if there is such a thing.

Now can we stop with the "Ever since Jobs is gone...." rethoric? Nope - it would've been mostly the same if he was still around.

10. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

My retina MacBook Pro takes about 2-3 seconds too with nothing running. I do agree that for the last 2% of refinements that makes Apple difference seems to be lacking in post-Jobs era.

11. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Care to elaborate? Examples?

12. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Interesting feedback. Thanks all.

It's been a few years since I owned an iMac. This is essentially it running out the box, no apps left open in sleep mode etc. I'm used to the instant wake on rMBP and rMB, so the bluetooth keyboard/trackpad might be to blame here.

I'll give it a try with a wired one when I get the chance and report back.

13. DiscoSushi, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

DiscoSushi macrumors newbie

DiscoSushi

late 2015 iMac 21.5" 4K 1TB fusion 16GB RAM

I also felt like my machine was taking way too long to wake up from sleep. The best I could get was five seconds from me pressing the power button to get to the log in screen, and that was after quitting all open apps before the computer went to sleep. When I had many apps open, it would take longer - 7 or 8 seconds sometimes.

Apparently, from what I gather after googling, some new desktops default to deep sleep (or hibernation) and dump the memory to disk ~3 hours after entering sleep. And then they wake from the sleepimage and this is what is causing the slow wake ups.

I adjusted the standbydelay to resolve this for me:

Code:
    sudo pmset -a standbydelay 43200
    The number is in seconds, so 12 hours.

I usually don’t let the machine sleep for more than 8 hours so since making this change, wake ups have been instantaneous and the log in screen is immediately available to accept input.

I deleted my old sleepimage file (4GB!) at /private/var/vm after making the standbydelay change and when I woke the computer the first time after making the adjustment, I checked that location and there was no sleepimage file there.

According the manual page for pmset, for desktops, if hibernatemode, standby and autopoweroff are all disabled, ie set to 0, then that will disable sleepimages completely.

EDITED to correct file path to sleepimage.

14. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Great find. Are there any benefits to deep sleep?

15. DiscoSushi macrumors newbie

DiscoSushi

ah. the million dollar question. I don't know.

I used this article as a starting point and it refers mostly to Macbooks. From what I gather, it sounds like it would be of most benefit for laptops, in case the battery runs while asleep.

Why deep sleep and writing to a sleepimage became default for desktops... is curious to me. Overly cautious attempt to avoid memory corruption + enormous drive capacities maybe?

16. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

I have a new i7 395x 2tb fusion that is a couple of weeks old. In the beginning it was 1-2 seconds but after adding files and most recently Windows 10 via Bootcamp, it is now 6-8 seconds to wake from sleep.