6 turns on when unplugged

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

My iPhone 6 turns back on when I unplug it. I'm pretty sure my other iPhones never did that. Am I crazy, is this a new setting I can't find, is something different/wrong with my 6? A little bit of all three...?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

As far back as I can remember, iOS devices wake up when unplugged. I know my 5S on 7.1.2 does so every morning.

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

All mine have done this.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just to make sure, if you phone is turned off and you plug it into the charger it will turn on. It will also wake the home screen when the charger is removed.

BUT

If you turn your phone off AFTER you hooked it up to the charger, it should not turn on when you remove the charger.

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

This is what I've always done: plug it in and then turn it off. I don't remember the old ones turning back on automaticaly when I unplugged them. This one does. Just curious....I can check out my friends phones tomorrow at work.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

FYI, I just double checked. My 5S on 7.1.2 behaves as follows:
    Phone locked/asleep then plug into charger: screen wakes to show battery, then shows lockscreen, then back to sleep in a few seconds.
    Phone on charger and locked/asleep then unplug from charger: screen wakes to show lockscreen then back to sleep in a few seconds.

If you're talking about behavior when fully powered down, my 5s boots when plugged in while powered off. If powered off while plugged in, nothing happens when unplugged.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I seldom turn off my iPhone and it runs 24/7.

I do not think I have seen a phone turn back on when the charger was removed. Even if it did it would not be a problem for me.

9. paulvee macrumors regular

paulvee

no, you are not crazy. this happens on my 6 and it has never happened on any of my other iPhones. I found this thread because I finally got sick of it. I plug it in at night, turn it off and then, when I unplug it in the morning, it turns on, just as you describe.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just turn it back off.

11. paulvee macrumors regular

paulvee

Thanks for the pithy, useless remark. It didn't add to the conversation about an issue that's of interest to a few people. Glad it made you feel better about yourself, though.

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Well that was a surprise. My 6 does this too. I didn't know about this "auto-power up" feature, but I can see it being quite useful.

Why do people find it undesirable?

13. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I actually like it. I shut my phone off and plug it in every night and when I wake up, I unplug it and it turns on, which I would have done anyway. I just started this thread because I was just curious if this was a new setting or feature since my other phones never did that.

14. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I find the whole 'wake up when unplugged' annoying. I'm sensitive to lights at night, and when ever an iPhone/iPad is un/plugged here, I find the light distracting. My problem, to be sure, but a setting to keep the damn ting dark/asleep after unplugging would be nice for people as weird as me.

Plus the noise is distracting too... *BEEP* Screams 'HEY! I'VE BEEN PLUGGED IN!!!' or 'HEY! I'VE BEEN UNPLUGGED!'...

I don't know if that's a setting or not. Seems like it *could* be a setting...

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Those of you who claim your other iPhones never did this must be in the habit of waking it up before unplugging so you never detected or paid attention to this behavior, or you have short memory.

16. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Nope. I tried it with a few 5s and a 4. None turn on when unplugged. Not waking up. Turned on.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Oh, so you mean it boots up when it's unplugged? I haven't tried it.

18. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah. It's weird but like I wrote above, I don't mind it personally cause I would normally turn it on after unplugging Anyway.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not sure why you're powering it down prior to plugging it in as the iPhone is designed to be continually on and we have the do not disturb feature if we don't want to be bothered at nights. For this reason, many people equate turning on as waking up so perhaps you should edit your OP to clarify this to say booting up or powering on.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not a problem. When you said you were "sick of it", I could not resist.

Your skin must be pretty thin.

Happy Holidays!