Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Disclosure: I don't have a 6 or a 6+ but do have an interest in watching videos on them if and when I get one.

So... I went into my local phone shop and played around with both models.
I checked out the video players side by side using the trailers for the Hobbit and Lego movie.

I put both phone to full brightness and played both at the same time.

There was no comparison. the picture on the 6+ was incredible. In fact I was really disappointed with the picture on the 6. It lacked detail and was flatter in comparison. the extra DPI on the 6+ makes a huge difference.

It's not a huge test or even very thorough, but this was a real world side by side comparison and the 6+ won convincingly.

Just thought I'd share in case somebody is on the fence about which to get and likes to watch videos on their phone.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Interesting. I have the 6 Plus, but apart from higher resolution and pixel density, I would have put my money on the 6. It's supposed to have a slightly higher contrast ratio, and the same GPU needs to power fewer pixels.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Interesting. I have the 6 Plus, but apart from higher resolution and pixel density, I would have put my money on the 6. It's supposed to have a slightly higher contrast ratio, and the same GPU needs to power fewer pixels.

I expected them to look quite similar but I was shocked by the results. So much so that I wouldn't get a 6 as I watch a lot of video and I often carry around my iPad air to watch videos on the train and when I'm waiting somewhere. (Living in Japan means you take a lot of trains). The 6+ is big enough to replace an air on small local trips, but not bigger trips I think.

My wife even commented on the difference and she doesn't care about such things usually.

Personally I'd like to do another side by side test and will go to an Apple store hoping they have preloaded content on the machines or try HD youtube videos.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I think if you really wanted to fairly compare the video quality of cameras on both these phones, I think you have to record the video and play both site by side on same display (like on PC/Mac/Tablet etc)

When you play the videos on separate phones, 6 and 6+, the difference of the display quality on these phones (like higher PPI etc) will prevent you from doing a fair comparison.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I think if you really wanted to fairly compare the video quality of cameras on both these phones, I think you have to record the video and play both site by side on same display (like on PC/Mac/Tablet etc)

When you play the videos on separate phones, 6 and 6+, the difference of the display quality on these phones (like higher PPI etc) will prevent you from doing a fair comparison.

He's not talking about the camera mate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.